Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 1:27:24 AM EDT
I have a CCL for IL.

Can I open carry on my own property? I live on the edge of a small town (but still in village limits). The likelihood of someone seeing me with it is very slim, since my neighbors are pretty spread out and it is wooded around my home.

I checked my local ordinances and I did not see any restrictions directly referring to firearms.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
This has always been legal, even before CCL.  It doesn’t mean the police won’t be called if someone sees you and is alarmed by it.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]
"(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)  
   Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.  
   (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:....

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person, upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm,..."

You want to be careful about stepping off your property and being on anything considered public lands, even a right of way for utilities behind your property.  

Have you already had an issue with neighbors or has someone contacted the police about you?  Is this just for future reference?

This info is worth reviewing if you live in or near any of the listed villages or towns.  https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/MunicipalOrdinances.aspxhttps://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/MunicipalOrdinances.aspx
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)  

Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.  

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:....

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person, upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm,..."

You want to be careful about stepping off your property and being on anything considered public lands, even a right of way for utilities behind your property.  

Have you already had an issue with neighbors or has someone contacted the police about you?  Is this just for future reference?

This info is worth reviewing if you live in or near any of the listed villages or towns.  https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/MunicipalOrdinances.aspxhttps://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/MunicipalOrdinances.aspx
View Quote
This is just for future reference. I've already been doing it and have not had any issues and I don't expect to. It's nice to know the law so if I am challenged I can at least refer to it. I don't exactly live in a high crime area, but you just never know. A lot of people assume drug/alcohol problems are only in the big cities. Not true.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Legal or not to open carry, I prefer concealed carry when mowing the yard or doing other yard work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top