Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2016 10:26:30 PM EDT
Hey all,
just wondering what the specific law is regarding a CCW holder having a loaded weapon in the car.  I know you can carry on your person in the car.  My question is can you you have the gun loaded and in the center console or glove box?  I know you can't do that with just a FOID, but I'm wondering what the law currently states regarding this for CCW.  

I found this secion at the link below:
 (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

Thx
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, if you have a carry permit, you can have loaded pistol in glovebox or console. Those are perfect locations since IL law requires pistol be concealed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't have it in a holster along side or under your car seat. As stated, on

your person, in the glovebox, or center consul. If you have to leave it in your

car/vehicle to go to a gun free kill zone, it has to be in transportation mode.

unloaded and encased.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't have it in a holster along side or under your car seat. As stated, on

your person, in the glovebox, or center consul. If you have to leave it in your

car/vehicle to go to a gun free kill zone, it has to be in transportation mode.

unloaded and encased.
View Quote

If it's out of sight, it is concealed?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are leaving your carry gun in a vehicle...
Not visible from outside...
A lock between it and outside world...The car door locked meets this requirement.
Does not have to be unloaded.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are leaving your carry gun in a vehicle...
Not visible from outside...
A lock between it and outside world...The car door locked meets this requirement.
Does not have to be unloaded.
View Quote

My bad,  I could have sworn my instructor said to leave it

unloaded if you leave it in the vehicle. Good to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#6]

My bad, I could have sworn my instructor said to leave it
View Quote

It is possible....Don't know your instructor but, we have heard some pretty goofy things some instructors have been putting out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
All,
thanks for the replies.  SwanHunter, do you have the place in the actual law where that is covered or is that anecdotal info, i.e. from conversations with police?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The way the law in IL works is they would have to spell out that it is illegal to leave the gun loaded...the fact that it isn't prohibited makes legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top