Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2016 3:17:36 PM EDT
My son is in the Airguard, lives in VA and will be at Scott for 60 days training.  He has a VA CCW, but that is not recognized by IL.  He is not a resident of IL, and it would take 8 weeks to get a FOID if he was.

BTW, he just accepted a job offer from a well known Federal Agency, so he wants to practice shooting his SIG.  So he can serve his country in a C-130, fly on commercial airlines with a gun, but cannot shoot targets at an IL range?  Yes, I know he can shoot in my back yard, but we are about a 100 miles north of Scott, and he wants to shoot more often than every weekend.

Just another reason I am looking at other states when I "retire."
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind he is exempt due to being active duty.  My bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Even if he wasn't active duty, he should still be able to shoot at a range in Illinois.  Some ranges might have their own restrictions, though.

430 ILCS 65/2 (a)(2)(b)(7):
(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As others have said, he can legally shoot on a public range.

He may have an issue with possessing a personally owned firearm on an Air Force base.  He might want to verify that with someone in authority at Scott Field.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As others have said, he can legally shoot on a public range.

He may have an issue with possessing a personally owned firearm on an Air Force base.  He might want to verify that with someone in authority at Scott Field.
View Quote

Pretty sure that the base commander has to approve any firearms to be kept on base.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
"Storage of POFs in dormitories or in the Temporary Lodging Facilities is prohibited," said Tech. Sgt. Aron Luna, 37th SFS. "Owners who reside in dormitories or TLFs must store their weapons and ammunition in the 375th Security Forces Squadron Armory. Residents who reside in Patriot's Landing, Shiloh East/West, and the Georgian and Colonial housing areas must register their handguns, rifles, and shotguns with the 375th SFS Armory in Bldg. 755."

Found here
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone that is a resident of another state doesn't need a FOID while in IL. He can have a loaded handgun in his car with his home state CCW.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Even if he wasn't active duty, he should still be able to shoot at a range in Illinois.  Some ranges might have their own restrictions, though.

430 ILCS 65/2 (a)(2)(b)(7):
(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657
View Quote

Have a question that sort of goes with this thread and came about after reading the post I quoted.

I'm not a resident of Illinois. However, I conduct business here on a very regular basis. So much that I rented an apartment instead of dealing with hotels.

I have no CC permit (yet). No idiotic FOID card. Do my gun/s have to be kept in a case? That is what 430 ILCS 65/2 (a)(2)(b)(7) is saying, right?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Do my gun/s have to be kept in a case?
View Quote

Only while transporting.
and you can CC inside your vehicle if you are legal to CC in home state.  
Once you are on your own (rented) property, you needn't have them cased.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Only while transporting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do my gun/s have to be kept in a case?

Only while transporting.

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realize that law/rule pertained to transporting.

Would have been interesting to tell the cops when asked "What happened?" that I heard a noise and grabbed my AR and beat the intruder with the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top