Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/7/2016 6:38:46 PM EDT
Has there been any movement with suppressors?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really...
Right now, we are not having much luck at getting anything we want to move...Actually, with the gridlock, not much of anything is moving.  
There has been considerable hand wringing by the Northeastern Controllers about the issue....You know...they will only be used by gang bangers to kill cops etc...
I still don't see a lot of hope in the near future....There just isn't much push from electorate to motivate legislators.
But, we can always hope!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Every time the bill comes up for a vote Madigan sits on it.  I believe that when this thing comes up for a vote pro-gun people put in witness slips, and the pro-gun witness slips outnumber the anti-gun Madigan pulls the bill.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
IL-GunLobby is saying that the House Judicial Criminal Law committee is planning on taking up the suppressor bill today.  Has anyone heard anything on this?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever happened, happened yesterday.

It looks like it was assigned to the Firearms and Firearm Safety Subcommittee, but it's not currently scheduled for anything.  It's not on the agenda for today's hearing, but I don't know if that page could be updated in real-time if something is added at the last minute.

5/16/2016HouseAssigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee
 5/16/2016HouseTo Firearms and Firearm Safety Subcommittee
 5/16/2016HouseFinal Action Deadline Extended-9(b) May 27, 2016

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
From a Todd  update

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61562#entry1003814

..."There also seems to be some movement on suppressors. As the downstate guys went and had a bit of a fit in not getting any bills called. So we will see what happens, but there is a good chance it will come out of committee today as well."...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like scheduled in committee on 5/24 and taking witness slips now.

http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/13909?CommitteeHearings-page=1&CommitteeHearings-orderBy=&CommitteeHearings-filter=&_=1463523605731

Tracking:
http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/WitnessSlipInfo/84796?hearingId=13909&LegislationDocumentId=108348&CommitteeHearings-page=1&_=1463523605731

Create
http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/84796?committeeHearingId=13909&LegislationId=84796&CommitteeHearings-page=1&_=1463523605731

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Just did my witness slips (me and my wife).
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
just created mine as well.

101 Pro- 01 Against
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Hit

105 Pro- 01 Against
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
done
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
done
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Filed.

Get the word out ladies and gentlemen!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Done
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Date and time of committee hearing has changed for those planning to listen live

Scheduled Date 5/25/2016 - 8:30 AM
Location Room 122B - Capitol Building - - Springfield, IL

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Date and time of committee hearing has changed for those planning to listen live

Scheduled Date 5/25/2016 - 8:30 AM
Location Room 122B - Capitol Building - - Springfield, IL

View Quote

I would LOVE to be there. If only Chicago wasn't so far away.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Hit, because I NEED a can or three...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I someday would like to bring mine home with me.....

Go hit the witness slips
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Info on witness slips please?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]
406-1 My wife and I just filled out slips.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Filled out my witness slip.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Done +2 hopefully this happens fingers and toes crossed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#24]
DONE

500 to 1
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Disappointing...HB433 only got about 4 minutes discussion today.  Did not get out of committee and will be having further  meetings.  Potential it may reappear as SB206

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#26]
not surprising it didnt get much attention. very unfortunate as well. what should we say to our legislators to make them take it seriously next time it comes up?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Stolen from IllinoisCarry

House Amendment 1 has been filed pn SB206 Criminal Law Tech

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Wildlife Code. Removes the prohibition on the use of a silencer or other device to muffle or mute the sound of the explosion or report resulting from the firing of any gun. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly possesses any device or attachment of any kind primarily designed, used, or intended for use in silencing the report of any handgun; or possesses any device or attachment of any kind designed, used, or intended for use in silencing the report of any other firearm if the device or attachment does not comply with the National Firearms Act (rather than that a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly possesses any device or attachment of any kind designed, used or intended for use in silencing the report of any firearm). Effective immediately.

It is scheduled for hearing 5/29/2016.

Witness slips can be filed here

And tracked here
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The way I read that is that a suppressor that is designed, used or intended to be used primarily for a handgun would still be illegal, regardless of NFA status.  Is such a distinction possible?  Are there suppressors that can only be used on handgun?  

EDIT:  Or is operator intent sufficient to establish that you would be in possession of a suppressor for a handgun?  "You don't have any rifles with threaded barrels, therefore this suppressor is intended for your handgun."

UUW snippet taken directly from: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09900SB0206ham001&GA=99&SessionId=88&DocTypeId=SB&LegID=84166&DocNum=206&GAID=13&Session=

20        (6) Possesses any device or attachment of any kind
21    primarily designed, used, or intended for use in silencing
22    the report of any handgun; or possesses any device or
23    attachment of any kind designed, used, or intended for use
24    in silencing the report of any other firearm if the device
25    or attachment does not comply with the National Firearms
26    Act firearm; or

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The way I read that is that a suppressor that is designed, used or intended to be used primarily for a handgun would still be illegal, regardless of NFA status.  Is such a distinction possible?  Are there suppressors that can only be used on handgun?  

EDIT:  Or is operator intent sufficient to establish that you would be in possession of a suppressor for a handgun?  "You don't have any rifles with threaded barrels, therefore this suppressor is intended for your handgun."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

UUW snippet taken directly from: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09900SB0206ham001&GA=99&SessionId=88&DocTypeId=SB&LegID=84166&DocNum=206&GAID=13&Session=

26    Act firearm; or

Does this perhaps mean those homemade suppressors which are non NFA tax stamped are illegal.

...if the device
25 or attachment does not comply with the National Firearms
26 Act

Im pretty sure this is not banning them for handguns.
The suppressor guy in committee today said something about this, I just dont recall what it was.

ETA: Guess handguns are still in question.  Anything is a step forward, but hoping for the best in the final language for the bill!

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#30]
SB206 appears to be related to Controlled substances.  Is this the correct bill?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=206&GAID=13&GA=99&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=84166&SessionID=88
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does this perhaps mean those homemade suppressors which are non NFA tax stamped are illegal.

...if the device
26 Act

Im pretty sure this is not banning them for handguns. The suppressor guy in committee today said something about this, I just dont recall what it was.

If this is being reintroduced as SB206, we may want to see how it and any floor amendments make changes from HB433

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

26    Act firearm; or

...if the device
26 Act

Im pretty sure this is not banning them for handguns. The suppressor guy in committee today said something about this, I just dont recall what it was.

If this is being reintroduced as SB206, we may want to see how it and any floor amendments make changes from HB433

My I-am-not-a-lawyer mind sees the "or" (now highlighted in bold red).  The NFA reference is in the second half of the or, but not the first half.  It's a separation between "handgun" and  "any other firearm".
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SB206 appears to be related to Controlled substances.  Is this the correct bill?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=206&GAID=13&GA=99&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=84166&SessionID=88
View Quote

Thats the Senate amendment from 2015.   Look at the House amendment to the bill from 2016

click full text on page to see amendments

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09900SB0206ham001&GA=99&SessionId=88&DocTypeId=SB&LegID=84166&DocNum=0206&GAID=13&Session=

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

House Amendment 1 completely rewrites the bill.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

26    Act firearm; or

View Quote
View Quote

...if the device
26 Act

View Quote

My I-am-not-a-lawyer mind sees the "or" (now highlighted in bold red).  The NFA reference is in the second half of the or, but not the first half.  It's a separation between "handgun" and  "any other firearm".
View Quote

Handgun suppressors would still be banned entirely under that bill; long gun suppressors are banned if not compliant with NFA.

So handgun suppressors still banned, yet the original purpose of the legislation is for hunting, and the only viable deer hunting firearm choice for suppressing is handguns, as rifles are not legal and shotguns and muzzleloaders are not viable to suppress.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#35]
This bill is in flux right now...language is being reworked to make more legal compliance and negotiations for suppressor uses...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#36]
5/26 update (suppresors at end of update)

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61691&hl=

Ok where to start, so we have amendment 4 with all its issues. New ones you will hear about in committee. And they have been running in circles trying to get things fixed. right now we have bets going on the over under for amendments as to how many they will have. I think they could hit double digits.

the biggest problem is the sponsor is working the floor especially the republican side women saying they have addressed all of the complaints from committee. Which they have NOT. Secondly, as they "fix" things they throw new stuff in there that creates new issues. So they have not fixed anything. Thy simply keep peeling back layers of the onion to try and see what they have to whittle away at and how much bread they have to put on this crap sandwich to get people to bite.

As I sit here, it is unclear if they will call it this morning due to a meeting last night around dinner when certain things were pointed out to them. I wasn't there, but the reports are not good for them.

So far we are holding our own, but the math is still the same, they need republican defectors to pass the bill and that is their play and hope.

suppressors is in the mix and we are trying to see what else we can get at this stage. Keep the calls and emails going they are having an effect

todd

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Everyone see the ISRA update on this tonight?  Looks like it will be sb206

link to update and witness slips
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Everyone see the ISRA update on this tonight?  Looks like it will be sb206

link to update and witness slips
View Quote

Todd update:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61715&p=1007551

another amendment to follow, things are looking good. call your reps, call your senators

we have a shot at this. and there are no trade offs being made.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Hit the witness slips again!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a question:  Since the bill would allow the use of suppressors for hunting, does that preclude us from taking them to the range?  Will they be restricted to rifle use only?  

Since there are minimum barrel length and caliber requirements for handgun hunting will we only be able to own suppressors for handguns that meet the hunting requirements?

Can't wait to leave this state.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a question:  Since the bill would allow the use of suppressors for hunting, does that preclude us from taking them to the range?  Will they be restricted to rifle use only?  

Since there are minimum barrel length and caliber requirements for handgun hunting will we only be able to own suppressors for handguns that meet the hunting requirements?

Can't wait to leave this state.....
View Quote

Range use will be OK

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61715#entry1007613

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I think it is handguns only on the range for now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

That stinks. Still way better than nothing though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better then nothing and can be amended later for general use.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were told that about the CCL law, and the SBR law...

What will end up happening is a crappy law such that the ATF decides to really restrict what suppressors if any can be approved in Illinois much as they have with SBRs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

What will end up happening is a crappy law such that the ATF decides to really restrict what suppressors if any can be approved in Illinois much as they have with SBRs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We already have moment on improving the ccw law. It takes time to get anything positive done in this state. You're never going to get a perfect bill. Be happy with that we can get anything positive slipped through and work at improving the laws when we can.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#47]
And they just adjourned for today. Having watched a few hours of the stream today, I am amazed anything gets done at all.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Suppressor bill just passed committee 8-5 in our favor and has been reported to the House.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sbr isn't hard or bad to get. Need a c&r $30 which I think is 3 years. and can't do it on a trust.... Other than that easy. And ccw isn't that bad and I think has been updated alittle bit.  We gotta start somewhere
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top