Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:57:23 PM EDT
Here is what is going on that brought on this question:
A friend at work and some of his coworkers wanted to hunt squirrels with air rifles and wanted to know how to go about it.

I said they would need a hunting license, and some air-guns are treated as fire-arms in IL.

What they have found out so far is that 700+FPS requires a FOID, born after 1981 requires a hunter safety class and that to legally own his air rifle requires a 16 hour course and around $500 in overall training and license costs. To transport his gun needs a locked hard case.

I hate disinformation, and I hate bullshit; some of what was said is true, most is only half true or complete crap. Please help me set him on the right path here.

What I believe is correct:
powerful air-rifles=fire-arms, true, sometimes, depending on velocity and caliber.
hunter safety course for those born after 1981, sounds like something we would do in IL.
16 hour course to own gun, sounds silly, maybe the hunter safety course and the 16 hour course are the same, but hunter safety just to buy or own a gun?

Bottom line is none of them are hunting squirrels tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Your list sounds like a couple of small truths and some exaggerated untruths.

I think they're confusing a hunting license with a concealed carry license.

Another example, there is no requirement anywhere I've seen in IL law or regulations requiring "locked" cases.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/GettingStarted.aspx

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/safety/Pages/HunterSafety.aspx
Who Must Take The Course

On January 1, 1996, a State law was passed that anyone born on or after January 1, 1980 may not be issued a hunting license unless he or she presents a valid Hunter Education Certificate of Competency issued by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Safety Education Division or another state.
View Quote

The Illinois Hunter Education Program consists of a minimum of ten hours of instruction. The educational material is based on a sixth-grade reading level.
View Quote

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/LPR/Pages/AllLicensesPermitsPrivileges.aspx

I believe it's correct that airguns over 700fps require a FOID and are otherwise handled like a firearm as far as needing to be transported in a case or container.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]Quoted:

What they have found out so far is that 700+FPS requires a FOID,  IIRC true

born after 1981 requires a hunter safety class a true

nd that to legally own his air rifle requires a 16 hour course and around $500 in overall training and license costs. FALSE.  This is the concealed carry requirement for a loaded handgun

To transport his gun needs a locked hard case false. The case part is correct. It must be completely enclosed. Locked has nothing to do with it.  Any case or shipping container. A hard case not needed.
g]
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
hunters safety is free i believe.

but also if he is going to go with someone with a valid licence he can get an apprentice licence for the time being

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no longer a FPS requirement on air guns so long as the caliber is under .18.  The adjusted the "and" to "or."  So no FOID card needed unless you go above the .18.  

I went with my Dad to Cabela's earlier this summer and he bought one that was around 1200 fps, checked out at the front as if it was any other non-restricted item.

As of July, 2012:

(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second
View Quote

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=097-0776
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no longer a FPS requirement on air guns so long as the caliber is under .18.  The adjusted the "and" to "or."  So no FOID card needed unless you go above the .18.  

I went with my Dad to Cabela's earlier this summer and he bought one that was around 1200 fps, checked out at the front as if it was any other non-restricted item.

As of July, 2012:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As of July, 2012:

(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second

Actually, that "or" means there is a velocity aspect to consider...If it is over .18" in diameter OR has a velocity over 700 FPS you need a FOID.  It can be confusing...and goofy!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, that "or" means there is a velocity aspect to consider...If it is over .18" in diameter OR has a velocity over 700 FPS you need a FOID.  It can be confusing...and goofy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As of July, 2012:

I think Petes1552 is correct.  The ILGA's "or" says:

if the muzzle velocity is less than 700 fps OR if the projectile diameter is less than or equal to .18"

it's not a firearm.  

The inverse of that statement, i.e. what identifies a firearm, is:

if the muzzle velocity is greater than or equal to 700 fps AND if the projectile diameter is greater than or equal to .18"

My college logic teacher would be mad at me for not showing all my work.

Original: if the muzzle velocity is less than 700 fps OR if the projectile diameter is less than or equal to .18"
Inverse:

not(if the muzzle velocity is less than 700 fps OR if the projectile diameter is less than or equal to .18")
= not(if the muzzle velocity is less than 700 fps) AND not (if the projectile diameter is less than or equal to .18")
= (if the muzzle velocity is greater than or equal to 700 fps)  AND (if the projectile diameter is greater than .18")

So, not only can you have a high-velocity pellet gun, the law as written means you can have a low-velocity large-caliber pellet gun.  A .50 cal pellet gun with a max fps under 700 would be legal under the 2012 update.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
In real world application.
A .22 Cal airgun of any velocity= FOID
A .177 Cal airgun with Velocity over 700 FPS= FOID.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In real world application.
A .22 Cal airgun of any velocity= FOID
A .177 over.18 Cal airgun with Velocity over 700 FPS= FOID.
View Quote

i think its this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter
View Quote

so, if it is less than .18 inch in diameter= no FOID....If it exceeds .18 inch in diameter= FOID.

OR

or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second

So, if it has max muzzle velocity less than 700 feet per second = no FOID...If it exceeds 700 FPS = FOID

The key word is OR!  It is two separate qualifiers...not one contingent upon the other since they removed the AND
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess Cabela's has it wrong then, if they sold a 1200 fps air gun to an Illinois resident without a FOID.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess Cabela's has it wrong then, if they sold a 1200 fps air gun to an Illinois resident without a FOID.
View Quote

It would be easy to get it wrong...changing one little word and....How would they even know about any changes in the law...It is goofy no matter how you read it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Good info here, in the past I bought 2 air guns with 1200 fps with no special handling at cabelas as well. I don't know if anyone has a clear picture beyond that Chicago does not want the peasants armed with more than torches and pitch-forks.

Thanks for all the replys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top