Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2015 11:26:23 AM EDT
I just got an alert from the NRA-ILA about this.  
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20151106/illinois-cook-county-board-of-commissioners-proposes-tax-on-your-constitutional-rights
This wont effect me I live in Kendall County.  The Cook County Commissioners are morons  Cook residents can but their guns and ammo outside of Cook, then  Cook gets no tax.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I was just coming to post that I saw the same on Guns Save Life's website.

BREAKING NEWS: Cook County, IL to propose AMMO TAX Monday

WTF, right?

Are these people in Cook Co. insane?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I was just coming to post that I saw the same on Guns Save Life's website.

BREAKING NEWS: Cook County, IL to propose AMMO TAX Monday

WTF, right?

Are these people in Cook Co are insane!?
View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
What a morons Preckwinkle and most of the board are.
If they would only cut employees and salaries, and close the county hospital, they'd be flush with money, and be able to cut taxes.

And Cabela's; it's time to leave Crook Co.

BTW; does anyone know if the $25 county firearm tax, goes into a separate fund for Cook Co., or their "general fund"?
Does anyone know if there are any pending lawsuits against that $25 a firearm tax?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Midwest Guns needs to leave Cook as well. Supposedly there is some sort of ongoing lawsuit against the $25 per gun tax according to the folks at Midwest. How much more are there going to tack on to that $25? I used to go there once in awhile and bought from them regularly since I went there for many years since first getting into handguns. This year I bought one single firearm from them, but I think all of my gun and ammo purchases will now be away from any gun shops left in Cook or online. I don't mind supporting shops, but not if I'm supporting Cook and their coddling of criminal activity while putting the blame on everyone but themselves.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
This from the ISRA
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=314cc7b8-a75c-4093-b7c5-6becf27d52a1&c=ae073f30-dd8b-11e3-824a-d4ae5292c40b&ch=af367060-dd8b-11e3-824f-d4ae5292c40b
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This would drive Cabelas even that far under.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]
FCC, and I'm not referring to the department of government that regulates the airwaves.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11/10/preckwinkle-expects-approval-of-new-ammunition-tax/

CHICAGO (CBS) — Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle has said she has enough votes to approve a new countywide tax on ammunition for handguns and rifles.

Preckwinkle said the ammo tax – first suggested by Commissioner Richard Boykin – would slap a one-cent-per-cartridge levy on less powerful ammunition such as .22 caliber bullets, and a five-cent-per-bullet tax on more powerful ammo, such as 9-mm bullets.

“Commissioner Boykin came forward with the idea, and I pointed out to him that we’ve tried this before, and only gotten eight votes. One of the votes that we had hoped for at the time was the vote of his predecessor,” she said.

Boykin acknowledged he agreed to support Preckwinkle’s plan for a new 1 percent county hotel tax increase, but said his aim is the bullet tax.

“There is no greater issue for us to confront in Cook County and the city of Chicago than this issue of gun violence,” he said.

Revenue from the proposed ammo tax would go toward public safety programs.
View Quote

There's a nice photo of a loaded older-style PMAG in the article.  The only good thing about the article, actually.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And it will do nothing to stop the violence.

The public safety programs will be run by board members relatives and the tax money will go to pay them.  They will collect money and do no work.  It's the Cook County way.
View Quote

As we all know the tax is not being implemented to stop violence.  The Crook County pension fund is underwater by ~6B dollars so the board is looking for mo' money.

The pension system was never sustainable but no one had the balls to stand up and say so.

The only way out is to abolish the pension system.  Reduce the pension payouts.  Everyone is now on a 401K.

Most businesses would have addressed this problem decades ago but not the democrats running cook county.

Work thirty years and collect a pension?  Yeah, that's feasible.  One could collect a pension longer than he/she ever worked.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
So the whole 2 gun shops in cook county will have this tax? It does stink the cabelas is in cook county, but I'll just have to keep buying my ammo online and go to the cabelas right over the indiana border.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Cook County is not going to collect a lot of money from this, the serious shooters who buy their ammo by the case will leave Cook to buy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
So according to the interwebz this passed.  I had not been able to find much about it as more complaints were about the hotel tax.  So, that's it for me ever buying any guns or ammo in Cook County at Cabela's, Dick's, et al.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top