Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:10:05 PM EDT
Was in Chitcagoland yesterday checking out some industrial equipment for my business.  Was less than 2 miles away from Portillos, and the vendor suggested I stop by and eat at a landmark.  Had a single cheeseburger, pickles, mustard, onion, and large fries.

Was ok.  Nothing really special for what I paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
So you didn't eat at Portillo's? If going to Portillo's try the beef sandwich with cheese on it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
beef, soaked
large fry
shake
done!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Been to a couple times. Not impressed. Way overhyped overpriced average fare.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, ate at Portillos.  The one caddy corner from the Marathon station.  Had a Mcdonald's across the street.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, ate at Portillos.  The one caddy corner from the Marathon station.  Had a Mcdonald's across the street.
View Quote

Must have been Elk Grove Village. I am familiar with that one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Was at Giant.

http://www.giantfinishing.com/
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Why did you get a burger?!

Their signature foods are hot dogs and beef sandwiches
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]

snooze you loose!!! you can get a burger anyplace in the world! you come to chicagoland you eat a combo!

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a coworker that raves about the cheeseburger.  I tried it once.  It was good, but I'm of the same opinion as other posters here.  Beef or beef-and-sausage combo sandwiches are the way to go at Portillo's.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I love their hot dogs and the beef.

The chocolate cake is to die for.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why did you get a burger?!

Their signature foods are hot dogs and beef sandwiches
View Quote

Nobody told me what to eat, so I went with what "should" be safe to eat.  If I had known they had a specialty, I would have gotten it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Their beef is first class -- don't forget the green peppers.  And definitive 'Chicago Style' hot dogs are second to none.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
beef, soaked
large fry
shake
done!
View Quote

Large cheese fry
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I've eaten there quite a few times and they're okay at best. The ribs are probably the best thing there. There's a local place that has the same beef, makes them bigger for the same price and you can get it on garlic bread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]
You ordered a burger at Portillos? That's like getting a bowl of chilli at a Chinese restaurant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Did Giordanos serve some disappointing tacos, too?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 for the Beef and Sausage Combo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Portillos is good, but not as great as people paint them out to be. Buona has a better beef.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to go with "don't get a burger next time."
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]
You went to this Portillos Hotdogs

and ordered a burger?

It's worth a return visit. Just get a beef or a hotdog next time. I would suggest a beef with sweet peppers, and cheese fries.  Then pour half the cheese into the beef sammich. Then pour ketchup into the remaining cheese to dip them fries in. Get a plain chocolate shake too.  

Quoted:
I honestly I am not a huge fan of their food (I know, sacrelige!)   but I must say, if you go there the one thing that can't be beat is the chocolate cake shake.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

To me, that may very well be the worst thing on their menu.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry man, I live in Southern IL, in the metro area of St. Louis.  I hated going to Chitcago in the first place.  Won't be going back any time soon unless it's to pick up the piece of equipment I went there to see in person the first time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quality has gone downhill pretty badly over the last decade. They don't cook the chicken for the chopped salad anymore, they use processed crap now. The burgers, used to be only quality ingredients and they'd let the burger fall from the broiler and flip it a couple times then put it under the salamander with cheese. Now they just pull the burger off (dripping too much grease) and slap it on top of the cheese which is placed on the bottom bun. The fish sandwich used to be awesome, now it's mediocre. Sad.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quality has gone downhill pretty badly over the last decade. They don't cook the chicken for the chopped salad anymore, they use processed crap now. The burgers, used to be only quality ingredients and they'd let the burger fall from the broiler and flip it a couple times then put it under the salamander with cheese. Now they just pull the burger off (dripping too much grease) and slap it on top of the cheese which is placed on the bottom bun. The fish sandwich used to be awesome, now it's mediocre. Sad.
View Quote

That could also be a result of Dick Portillo selling the business last year
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I did notice that the cheese was ice cold...  Some places do that, I didn't expect it there though...  Then again, I had no expectations other than good food...which didnt come to pass either.  It was just "ok".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top