Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2015 9:19:52 PM EDT
Preferably with rentals, as it looks like if I play my cards right within the next few months I'll be leaving the People's Republic of Cook County...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
There's Article II in Lombard. The place is dirty, parking stinks, air handling very bad - the latter at least when I was last there in September. I've heard from several people that the air handling system is better since the fire a few months back, but I've not personally experienced it. Staff can be very rude.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's Article II in Lombard. The place is dirty, parking stinks, air handling very bad - the latter at least when I was last there in September. I've heard from several people that the air handling system is better since the fire a few months back, but I've not personally experienced it. Staff can be very rude.

View Quote

+1 with same experience.
until the range in Bolingbrook gets finished in Aug, Article II is the only option

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're moving to Westmont, Rink's in Lemont isn't too far.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated, Article 2.

Its not a great, but considering places like Gats who charge more, dont allow steel case, and have equally poor range staff its the best choice. Oh did I mention the commute?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to Article II about six times now and have had interactions with most of the staff.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give each one of them a 9.999.

They've been very friendly to me... even the time when I was there on the coldest winter day and left my truck lights on. The little old lady there slogged out into the cold, drove her car over to my dead truck and jumped my battery.

Their range is not the cleanest, state-of-the-art range... but I could care less about that.

I have no complaints whatsoever.

ETA:spelchek
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a fan of article II. Never shot at gat, I mainly shoot at On Target on crystal lake but that's probably too far for you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Never been to article II, but J&R shooting sports in aurora isn't too far away. Range has some nice computerized target movers. Just set your distance and it and it goes right there. They have some rentals there too, not a huge selection but some to choose from.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Surprising to hear Article II is not a very nice facility. With it being fairly new I'd have thought it would be really nice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never been to article II, but J&R shooting sports in aurora isn't too far away. Range has some nice computerized target movers. Just set your distance and it and it goes right there. They have some rentals there too, not a huge selection but some to choose from.
View Quote

Not sure why I come across conflicting answers from J&R (depends who picks up phone)...can you shoot AR/ midlength rifle?
thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Surprising to hear Article II is not a very nice facility. With it being fairly new I'd have thought it would be really nice.
View Quote

It seems it varies on time of day and what part of the facility:
the store itself, the staff gives you impression of "exclusivity"...CS could really use some "in-service" to handle better customer service

range: RO (Doug??? Marine) is GTG very helpful.  The other RO with high-tight haircut can be too aggressive sometimes (witnessed on a younger customer)...the other two younger staff, possible returning Vets give a snobbish impression also.

My "Best" experience are during times I came in before opening.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not sure why I come across conflicting answers from J&R (depends who picks up phone)...can you shoot AR/ midlength rifle?
thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

I seem to recall them telling me that this was a no-go. Was ~3 years ago though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I seem to recall them telling me that this was a no-go. Was ~3 years ago though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

I live very close to that so I have gone recently.  

You can shoot rifles, but they won't let you use fmj.  Has to be softpoint ammo when I inquired.  I stick to pistols there for this reason.

They also only allow brass, but I've never seen them look in someones bag.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can shoot rifles, but they won't let you use fmj.  Has to be softpoint ammo when I inquired.  I stick to pistols there for this reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

soft point ammo? like 223 varmint rounds?
thanks for your information
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
soft point ammo? like 223 varmint rounds?
thanks for your information
View Quote

No prob.
Yep that's how I interpreted it when he said it.
I didn't have any with me and I said no thanks before he got out what they had for sale to shoot.
I'll make sure to find out exactly what they mean next time I'm there and let you all know a definitive answer.
Aside from that it was a decent place. Not many lanes probably 8 or so but I've never had to wait.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Couple of times I went there the guy behind the counter asked to see what ammo I was going to be shooting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been to Article II about six times now and have had interactions with most of the staff.

They've been very friendly to me... even the time when I was there on the coldest winter day and left my truck lights on. The little old lady there slogged out into the cold, drove her car over to my dead truck and jumped my battery.

Their range is not the cleanest, state-of-the-art range... but I could care less about that.

View Quote

Funny - I'd rate my experience with Article II as the exact opposite of yours.  It was bad enough to make me respond to every thread posted here about them, or local suburban ranges.

I cannot say enough bad about Articlle II - whether it's their rape-level prices, or the old douche-bag-of-bones behind the counter with his hill-billy, ignorant sounding voice, Article II is pure garbage.  I was treated very poorly there, and have avoided it ever since.  If I wanted to film a Michael Moore documentary that made gun owners look like fat, bellicose, jingoistic "Ammurricans", I'd film the staff of Article II.

They are NOT business people, and I couldn't call them gun people either.  They're idiots.  I've stopped every friend/person I know from going there or giving them any business.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Funny - I'd rate my experience with Article II as the exact opposite of yours.  It was bad enough to make me respond to every thread posted here about them, or local suburban ranges.

I cannot say enough bad about Articlle II - whether it's their rape-level prices, or the old douche-bag-of-bones behind the counter with his hill-billy, ignorant sounding voice, Article II is pure garbage.  I was treated very poorly there, and have avoided it ever since.  If I wanted to film a Michael Moore documentary that made gun owners look like fat, bellicose, jingoistic "Ammurricans", I'd film the staff of Article II.

They are NOT business people, and I couldn't call them gun people either.  They're idiots.  I've stopped every friend/person I know from going there or giving them any business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you. I'll never go back there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Article II needs to be torn down and the earth salted.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Article II is the closest. As previous posters have mentioned, staff isn't always the best & the range is not up to par with GAT & Megasports. It's not the worst range I've seen, but not what you'd expect in a place that new.

That said, I'll still shoot there. It's nearby & I can shoot pistol & rifle on the same range.

Now if you're looking to shop for something new, just go to GAT or Megasports. Price labels are upside down, very high, and they won't deal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you're moving to Westmont, Rink's in Lemont isn't too far.
View Quote
20-30min drive right down 355. Buy ammo elsewhere though.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't mind the drive, just north of the airport is Maxon's (75 E. Bradrock Drive, Des Plaines, IL 60018). I use to go there for the lunch special. It's about a half hour north of Article II.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top