Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 4:05:00 PM EDT
Hullo,

I'm a former Chicagoan of 40+ years and I'm going to be visiting the City for the first time in 5 years to visit the museums and indulge in all the food I miss.

I know that my Wisconsin permit is no good down there, except for in-the-car carry.

I also know that even if I had an Illinois non-resident permit,  that museums are no-carry zones.

I don't intend to break any laws.

I am wondering, however, what the security like these days at the lakefront museums ? Are there metal detectors or bag searches ?

I do intend to carry a folding knife and a can of pepper spray, and I would rather not get into a legal debate with a museum security guard.

I also have a electronic muscle and nerve stimulation device on my right leg that I would rather not have to explain it to some Park District flunky.

It's bad enough that the musems are hideously expensive.

ckmorley

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went to the Shedd aquarium this past weekend, there were bag checks but nothing else. I carried my pocket knife no problem. It got insanely busy around noon so plan on going as early as possible. I wouldn't doubt it if it took over an hour to get in at that point.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Got mace and a pocket knife into Art Institute a few months back. Just forgot about them, then realized there was no security check worth noting, just one or two cops doing look arounds.

Basically just walked into MSI on a free day. Practically no security.

Field also was pretty lax.

Don't recall the aquarium caring about anything other than special tickets to see the whales.

So yeah, pretty much nothing to worry about. That said, some of those places have to have a thousand cameras and a lot of watchful eyes. I'm guessing the real security is all hidden. Has to be, especially at the Art Institute. I'm not sure they'd be looking for what you've got specifically, but I also wouldn't just consider the overt security either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
CK,

Since December I've been at the Museum of Science and Industry and Field Museum and there's no real "security" to speak of.  No bag searches, no metal detectors, no pat downs, nothing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CK,

Since December I've been at the Museum of Science and Industry and Field Museum and there's no real "security" to speak of.  No bag searches, no metal detectors, no pat downs, nothing.
View Quote

This, was just at the Field last weekend.  The "security" that is there doesn't even deserve the title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top