Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 11:40:08 AM EDT
It looks like I will be working in this area, I have a travel trailer any ideas on where to stay, what to do or areas to stay away from.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
<Removed.  Incorrect--but please don't post anyone's personal information on the site.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you are looking for a place to drop a trailer with facilities.   Depending on where you will be working in Decatur, North/South/East/West here are some options.  http://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-directory/illinois/decatur

Lake Shelbyville area is nice.  But as you can see from the map the 'big cities' are spread out.  Champaign, Bloomington and Springfield have more of an entertainment offering.

Welcome to the Decatur area, you'll get used to the smell.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
ADM and the airport are on the east side of town.  

The south side has "downtown" stuff, and the southwest side has the college.  

Just north of the college, the west side of Decatur is pretty much the ghetto.  Call the local PD to get an idea of the "zone" that you should stay out of.  It's a pretty big area.  

Forsyth is on the north side, and it's a pretty nice area.  Also has the mall and some restaurants.

I agree that there's not much to "do" in Decatur.  Champaign has a LOT more to offer because it's a bigger city and the college complex in Urbana helps with their sprawl.  Springfield has a few restaurants, an indoor gun range, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and some Lincoln touristy stuff.  

If your travel trailer is a work trailer and you're staying in a hotel, look for one of the hotels in Forsyth (right off I-72 at Rt 51).  I recommend staying away from the Decatur Conference Center and Hotel.  They are working to rehab parts of it, and it has a bar......BUT it's a nasty roach hotel and you run the risk of being up all night with the partiers for the various conferences.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
"The smell of money"  as the local saying goes.

Super_fly, do not miss out on a Kreckel's burger.  When the greasy goodness turns the wax paper wrapping into a transparent sheet, and the bottom of brown bag is soaked, you know you have a good burger.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I will be moving from Texas , usually travel with a handgun but I guess that is not a good idea?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I will be moving from Texas , usually travel with a handgun but I guess that is not a good idea?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within
his or her vehicle in Illinois
, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory
of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit
issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable
; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked
container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)

....of course once you move to IL and become and IL resident you're subject to FOID and IL CCL rules as a resident.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Welcome to the Decatur area, you'll get used to the smell.  
View Quote

No you won't.  Prevailing winds are pretty much S-SW, so if you're in the northeast area, and you think your car battery has blown up due to the smell, it probably hasn't.  BTW, have smelled that smell from approx. 60 miles away.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I moved from Decatur to Texas......
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
We call it De-crater...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I feel bad for you to have to come to Decatur. I hope the job pays well. Not really a whole lot to do here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
If interested, some of the pipeline crew has set up at Hyde Park on the south end of town. Very close to their yard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I feel bad for you to have to come to Decatur. I hope the job pays well. Not really a whole lot to do here.
View Quote

My dad was born in 1911 in Decatur-all his life he bitched that it was passed up when it came to entertainment or good dining.
The good news is Champaign and Springfield are close enough for "culture."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top