Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 7:01:52 PM EDT
I finally got around to taking my Illinois CC class.  The instructor could not get on the internet Thursday.  ISP was doing maintenance.  All day Friday and today, I could not get past the part where you have to have Java 7 to get a digital id.  You cannot get Java 7 when you already have Java 8.  ISP website tells you to go to the Java website to get Java 7, but Java will not give me 7, because I already have 8.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
ISP is working on an upgrade that will do away with the Java crap....Not sure when it will be up and running.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Install java 7 and make sure to uninstall java 8. Otherwise it will try to use java 8.

For some reason my Wife's and my computer did the update for going to java 8 right before we helped students apply. It took a bit to sort it out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I downloaded Java 7 offline 32 bit, and I removed java 8.  Still no joy.  My wife thinks I am doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
No go here.  Called help line, gave home #, no call yet.  After getting rid of Java 8, and downloading the Java 7, now I need a magnifying glass to read my screen.  Now what????
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if the page is fixed or not.  Friend had same issues.  Received this information from ISP tech help.  Said it worked after following the instructions.   YMMV

To:  [email protected]
Subject: JAVA FIX
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:38:32 +0000

Internet Explorer

1.Go to your system control panel, Programs and Features, and uninstall Java 8 Update 25 and any other versions you may have installed.  All versions of Java must be completely removed from pc.
2.Shutdown and restart computer. (VERY IMPORTANT!)
3.Install Java 7 update 75 found here:  http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp
Choose the option for Windows Offline (32-bit).
4.If you get a Java pop up that states “Your Java is out of date” Choose Later.
5.In the Java control panel click on the Security tab and ensure that security is set to “Medium”.
6.Go to your system control panel, Internet Options, click on the Privacy tab, remove the check mark on Turn on Pop-up Blockers.
7.Please make sure all Java plugins are enabled in Internet Explorer- Go to Tools, Manage Add-Ons, Under Sun Microsystems Inc. or Oracle America Inc. header make sure all java entries are enabled.
8.Clear Java Cache- Go to Java control panel General Tab/ Temporary internet files section, Settings/ Delete files. Choose all three categories (this is important) and hit OK.
9.Add website to Compatibility View Settings- Tools, Compatibility View Settings, Add This Website Box, enter ILLINOIS.GOV and click on ADD.  This will add ILLINOIS.GOV to the websites you’ve added to Compatibility View Box.
10.*If Option is Available* Enable Compatibility View- Tools, Compatibility View and double click this option.  A check mark will be placed to the far left side confirming this option is enabled.
11.If you were in the process of creating your digital ID and never received the “Congratulations” page telling you that it was created, go to www.illinois.gov/pki .  On the right-hand side of page, click on “forgot password” to finish creating your digital ID.

Firefox

1.Go to your system control panel (Start, Control Panel), programs and features, and uninstall Java 8 Update 25 or any other versions you may have installed.  Note- All versions of Java must be completely removed from pc.
2.Shutdown and restart computer. (VERY IMPORTANT!)
3.Install Java 7 update 75 found here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp
Choose the option for Windows Offline (32-bit).
4.If you get a Java pop up that states “Your Java is out of date” Choose Later.
5.In the Java control panel, click on the Security tab and ensure that security is set to “Medium.”
6.Clear Java Cache- Go to Java control panel>General (tab)> Temporary internet files section > Settings>Delete files. Choose all three categories (this is important) and hit ok.
7.Windows Users- Go to Tools, Add-ons, Plugins-- java (TM PLATFORM) 7 update 75, Defaults to “Ask To Activate”, change this setting to “Always Activate”..
*MAC USERS*- Go to Tools, Add-ons, Plugins-- java (APPLET) 7 update 75, Defaults to “Ask To Activate”, change this setting to “Always Activate”.
8.If you were in the process of creating your digital ID and never received the “Congratulations” page telling you that it was created, go to www.illinois.gov/pki .  On the right-hand side of page, click on “forgot password” to finish creating your digital ID.

Darrell Dorn
CSC Helpdesk
@illinois.gov

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The website is junk.

I finally got it to work using firefox and messing around with java.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried for several months to apply for a digital id , finally I called the help line number & the gentleman called back 2 days later & took care of the problem.
That was a month ago & I got my digital id.

The man said the id site has been having problems with Java  for some time.
I had to use Java 8 ( That was not the problem I was having)  .

Now that I have my id number I, just for grins, tried to log onto the site & see where my application situation was.
No go, I had to delete Java 8 & install Java 7 and jump through some other hoops to get to the progress page.
I initially thought I had written my pass word down wrong, so I clicked the button that said "FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD"
It took me to the Java 8 install page.

But I finally got there.
Very frustrating

I firmly believe the state is purposely trying to make it hard to get an id so people will just say the hell with it & give up.
Glad I'm bullheaded & belligerent.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Update!  I got the e-mail from ISP after complaining.  I called the call center number expecting a long wait and a poorly trained ISP employee.  I waited two minutes max and the lady was very nice, very professional, and very thorough!!!  I told her how much I appreciated her professionalism.  Got the papers two days later, filled it out, and mailed it in.  Very painless!  She said up to 120 days, which is fine, tell me the truth, and I won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Update:

After three days, playing phone tag, loading/downloading, finally got digital ID and submitted app.  Now, to see if it really takes up to 120 days......
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife got hers in 103 days
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
For those that may still have a problem with the website, my previous post of the 'how to" resolution from ISP still works.  Had a coworker need to do a change of address, and it worked for him today(2/26/2015) YMMV.  

How hard is it to get your programming together and up to date ISP..Oh, wait it is Illinois..  "Somebody reboot the 486dx and get the service pack for win 3.1 installed"

ETA:  wordsmithing and rant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top