Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:00:54 PM EDT
Getting ready to move to Illinois here in April.  Going to be around Scott AFB near St Louis and was wondering how Gun purchasing worked?  I have done some research and know I will need to get a FOID card.  I contacted the state police and was told that I had 30 days to submit an application along with my orders a copy of mil ID and DL.  I asked how that would work for me because my wife will remain on active duty but I would be getting out of Active duty and joining the reserves and the person I was talking didn't have an answer and just stated Illinois does not issue FOID cards to non residents.  I was wonder if there were any other people who have encountered this issue and how it will all work.  I am hoping to continue expanding my firearms collection during my stay at Scott AFB and hope I am able to.  I also wanted to know how private sales of firearms worked.  Here in Ohio you are free to sell your private firearms as long as the buyer is on legal age and is legally able to purchase the firearms, and does not need to go through a FFL. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to go to Illinois Carry, register, and ask this question. There are a number of very knowledgeable people there right now, and there should be 1-2 dealing with your very issue (or have dealt with it).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your best bet is to go to Illinois Carry, register, and ask this question. There are a number of very knowledgeable people there right now, and there should be 1-2 dealing with your very issue (or have dealt with it).
View Quote

Ar15.com has some very  knowledgable people too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Getting ready to move to Illinois here in April.  Going to be around Scott AFB near St Louis and was wondering how Gun purchasing worked?  I have done some research and know I will need to get a FOID card.  I contacted the state police and was told that I had 30 days to submit an application along with my orders a copy of mil ID and DL.  I asked how that would work for me because my wife will remain on active duty but I would be getting out of Active duty and joining the reserves and the person I was talking didn't have an answer and just stated Illinois does not issue FOID cards to non residents.  I was wonder if there were any other people who have encountered this issue and how it will all work.  I am hoping to continue expanding my firearms collection during my stay at Scott AFB and hope I am able to.  I also wanted to know how private sales of firearms worked.  Here in Ohio you are free to sell your private firearms as long as the buyer is on legal age and is legally able to purchase the firearms, and does not need to go through a FFL. Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

Just apply for a FOID and be done with it.  Nobody will sell you a firearm in IL without a FOID.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as both parties have a FOID card you can sell to an individual. You need to keep a record of who you transferred it to and their FOID card number for ten years. Also you need to verify with the state police that their FOID card is valid. And there is a 24 hour wait time for long guns and a 72 hour wait times for handguns. If you want an Illinois CCW permit it is easier to be a resident. Unless you decide that you really want to keep the state of residence you currently have, getting an Illinois drivers license makes everything easier.

And the state still does not understand you cannot legally make a copy of a mil id...

I am a local FFL and CCW instructor in the Scott area.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the help Jazz!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want any other tips about the area just shoot me a pm. I am not .Mil but I have quite a few friends that work on Scott and a few guys from Scott are on here too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am not .Mil but I have quite a few friends that work on Scott and a few guys from Scott are on here too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
why
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I am here at Scott (not by choice of course).  If you need any help please just shoot me an IM.  To be honest this state sucks when it comes to restrictive gun laws.  They will issue you a FOID with your mil ID and orders but it is about 3 month wait (and 7 phone calls).  You will then need that FOID to purchase not only firearms but ammunition too (I refuse to purchase ammunition here on principle, I buy online or in Missouri).  We also have a wait period of 24 hours for long guns and 72 for pistols.  Must check the other person's FOID through the state police in a private transaction although it is just a misdemeanor if you don't.  I don't know how it is in Ohio but when I was in Arizona we could keep guns loaded and on the seats of vehicles, in the back, under a seat, wherever you wanted basically.  Here is has to be unloaded in a case when transported.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They will issue you a FOID with your mil ID and orders but it is about 3 month wait (and 7 phone calls).
View Quote

Don't call the ISP to try to get your FOID pushed through, call your State Rep. When I renewed mine I emailed my State Rep when it went past the time limit. I had my FOID about a week later.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am here at Scott (not by choice of course).  If you need any help please just shoot me an IM.  To be honest this state sucks when it comes to restrictive gun laws.  They will issue you a FOID with your mil ID and orders but it is about 3 month wait (and 7 phone calls).  You will then need that FOID to purchase not only firearms but ammunition too (I refuse to purchase ammunition here on principle, I buy online or in Missouri).  We also have a wait period of 24 hours for long guns and 72 for pistols.  Must check the other person's FOID through the state police in a private transaction although it is just a misdemeanor if you don't.  I don't know how it is in Ohio but when I was in Arizona we could keep guns loaded and on the seats of vehicles, in the back, under a seat, wherever you wanted basically.  Here is has to be unloaded in a case when transported.
View Quote

There is no penalty for not checking, it is only in the law and provides liability protection for the seller.  See a few post down http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50406

Also when you move to the area, highland gun club is right by Scott, I've only been a few times, but they have a nice pistol range. The rifle range can get crowded sometimes with yahoos.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Do not make a copy of your military ID. That is the purpose of using your orders. If you will be on active duty orders when you arrive file it as soon as you arrive. If so then send them a copy of your orders and a photo copy of your out of state DL. If not then, Like JazzEmt said, it will be easier to obtain your FOID with an IL DL. There is a firearms store in the BX but like others have said NO ONE in IL will let you see or touch a handgun or ammo without a FOID. If you plan to buy ammo online make sure to read the disclaimer on some of the stores as they will not send IL residents ammo in the mail they will only send it to the store. An example is Gander Mountain. We are getting one in O'Fallon but if you try to order ammo online they stipulate they will not send it to your house but rather to the store for pick up. This is because of the FOID rules.

On another note, if you are planning on living off base let me know and I can set you up with a real good realtor and VA loan rep. Good luck on your move.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do not make a copy of your military ID. That is the purpose of using your orders. If you will be on active duty orders when you arrive file it as soon as you arrive. If so then send them a copy of your orders and a photo copy of your out of state DL. If not then, Like JazzEmt said, it will be easier to obtain your FOID with an IL DL. There is a firearms store in the BX but like others have said NO ONE in IL will let you see or touch a handgun or ammo without a FOID. If you plan to buy ammo online make sure to read the disclaimer on some of the stores as they will not send IL residents ammo in the mail they will only send it to the store. An example is Gander Mountain. We are getting one in O'Fallon but if you try to order ammo online they stipulate they will not send it to your house but rather to the store for pick up. This is because of the FOID rules.    
On another note, if you are planning on living off base let me know and I can set you up with a real good realtor and VA loan rep. Good luck on your move.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will not give you a FOID without a copy of your Mil ID, trust me I just went through this 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They will not give you a FOID without a copy of your Mil ID, trust me I just went through this 6 months ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmm.... They must have changed it then because I got mine done not to long ago and all they required was my orders. Same for my wife she didnt need her mil ID when I had her get her FOID. I do not see anything on their website stating the need for the Mil ID. If it is something they tell you over the phone then they have been mis-informed as the FOID Act states that all Out of State Military Residents only need to furnish their resident state DL. My big issue with this is that they are subjecting military personnel to some serious fines as it is against DoD Policy. Only people who are authorized the photo copying of a Mil ID is medical facilities as this is the only proof of insurance and they are held liable under HIPPA laws. But with IL being a Corrupt Government state it wouldn't surprise me that they they make up their own rules as they go.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Simple.  Move to SE MO, take 55 to 155 to 64, to Scott.  Avoid living in IL like the plague it is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the help guys.  Based on all the post and just reading other forums and laws, looks like my best bet is to get a Illinois DL then apply for one.  I say this because when I actually move I will be leaving active duty and joining a reserve unit based out of Scott AFB which seems to make it ever more complicated because I wont be on active duty orders anymore. Any advice on areas for living?  At the moment we are looking to rent(we will only be here for 3 years max) in O'Fallon, Shiloh and Mascoutah. Biggest factor would be a good elementary school for our daughter.  Thanks for the help so far guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top