Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 9:56:59 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any outdoor ranges somewhat close to the lake in the hills area? I'm getting tired of the attitude and poor maintenance of the 2 indoor ranges near me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a drive to Waterman -- but it is certainly an outdoor range -- including to 600 yards

http://www.aurorasc.org/

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions, they are about the same distance from my house but the Wisconsin one doesn't require a membership..... I'll have to try it out when I get my Garand.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of any outdoor ranges somewhat close to the lake in the hills area? I'm getting tired of the attitude and poor maintenance of the 2 indoor ranges near me.
View Quote

McMiller's a great range.  It has my vote.

Is one of those indoor ranges near you On Target in Crystal Lake?  If so, then what's wrong with it?  If not, I recommend you check it out.  I like the place, and several others here like it too.  It has pistol and rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
OnTarget is usually better than Gat but when I went there a couple weeks ago and they had 3 rifle lanes that were acting up and I was stuck having to choose one of them if I wanted to shoot at the same time as my group, it was right when they opened and they had no idea that the lanes were down? When these places charge as much as they do they should have their shit together.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  I was at the OnTarget pistol range not too long with a friend when his target carrier went on the fritz.  They tried to fix it, but ultimately didn't get it repaired and shut down the lane.  He was able to switch to a different lane since it wasn't crowded.  Obviously we didn't hang around to find out if they ever fixed it after hours.  Now I wonder if somebody had your experience the next day.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll still continue to shoot there because it's still better than Gat, but its just frustrating sometimes. Gat's no pistols on the rifle range rule is just plain stupid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OnTarget is usually better than Gat but when I went there a couple weeks ago and they had 3 rifle lanes that were acting up and I was stuck having to choose one of them if I wanted to shoot at the same time as my group, it was right when they opened and they had no idea that the lanes were down? When these places charge as much as they do they should have their shit together.
View Quote

Weird. I've shot at ontarget a decent amount of times and I've never had a lane problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't really either, to be fair they had a "league" in there from 630am to 930am I think..... maybe they jacked up the lanes beforehand. But they shouldn't have let us on messed up lanes or at least offered more time or $ off for the messed up lanes
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions, they are about the same distance from my house but the Wisconsin one doesn't require a membership..... I'll have to try it out when I get my Garand.
View Quote

McMiller is pretty nice.  300 yr range and $20 to shoot all day.  For that I will shoot with a fake wedge of cheese on my head.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
McMiller is great. I go early in the week and RSO will let me shoot my scoped hand cannons on the 100 yard range.  Bring lunch and shoot all day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top