Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 6:20:33 PM EDT
Neither the costco nor the target by me have anti gun signs

I remember them in the news lately though saying they don't want guns in their stores

I wad under the impression that unless you are a government building, stadium or whatnot that is written into the law you must post a  sign if you don't want concealed weapons

Am I understanding this right?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
if there is no sign, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

this - now I think Costco has something in the membership agreement  - if you get detected and they ask you to leave I'd do so immediately ...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

this - now I think Costco has something in the membership agreement  - if you get detected and they ask you to leave I'd do so immediately ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still wouldn't be a violation of the statute without a valid posted sign.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The costco and target deal appears to be them requesting people not to open carry.

And given that assholes have at some point decided to do "demonstrations" there and sling up their AK's to go buy tampons, I don't blame them.

They are not posted and at least target has stated they will follow local laws but would prefer that the OC'ers toss a jacket over their sidearm.

Neither has stated you cannot CONCEAL carry in there stores.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Funny, that coincides with the tactical advantage too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Carried into Costco this weekend, no sign. I can't speak as to the membership agreement as I was a guest of a member.

No sign in the Target either. As long as it isn't posted nor one of the many places where carrying isn't allowed by law, school, museum, post office, etc, I am armed
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Carried into Costco this weekend, no sign. I can't speak as to the membership agreement as I was a guest of a member.

No sign in the Target either. As long as it isn't posted nor one of the many places where carrying isn't allowed by law, school, museum, post office, etc, I am armed
View Quote

I carry at Target all the time. I'm with Photosarv, I carry all the time unless there's a sign or it isn't allowed by law.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The costco and target deal appears to be them requesting people not to open carry.

And given that assholes have at some point decided to do "demonstrations" there and sling up their AK's to go buy tampons, I don't blame them.

They are not posted and at least target has stated they will follow local laws but would prefer that the OC'ers toss a jacket over their sidearm.

Neither has stated you cannot CONCEAL carry in there stores.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Funny, that coincides with the tactical advantage too.
View Quote

This post is definitely on point.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true enough but in the unlikely event you get outed and a store employee asks you to leave seems to be best thing to do is just leave, preferably leaving a big shopping cart full of frozen stuff they'll have to scramble around to get back into the freezer case behind

barking with some min wage earner at Costco seems a bad idea while armed.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Based on the membership agreement, one can presume a violation of a general policy could result in a revocation of your membership.

Not hotlinked on purpose: http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

Membership

Membership is available to all qualifying individuals 18 years of age and over.
   Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant and membership is revocable without cause.
   Membership is subject to any and all rules adopted by Costco including our privacy policies and practices, and they may be amended from time to time without notice.
View Quote

General Policies

Shirts and shoes are required.
   Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests into the warehouse, however, only Costco members may purchase items.
   Parents are responsible for their children and should not leave them unattended.
   Members are responsible for their guests and other family members.
   Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse.
   To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
   Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.
   Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SNIP
View Quote

In the case of Costco, concealed means concealed. I don't give a fuck what your "store policy" says.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Based on the membership agreement, one can presume a violation of a general policy could result in a revocation of your membership.

Not hotlinked on purpose: http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Membership

Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant and membership is revocable without cause.
   Membership is subject to any and all rules adopted by Costco including our privacy policies and practices, and they may be amended from time to time without notice.

General Policies

Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests into the warehouse, however, only Costco members may purchase items.
   Parents are responsible for their children and should not leave them unattended.
   Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse.
   To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
   Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.

In Illinois wouldn't they still have to be posted. You have to be a member to buy but not to enter
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Illinois wouldn't they still have to be posted. You have to be a member to buy but not to enter

Yes.

true but if they detected you and revoked your membership and then you refused to leave that would be a problem

seems like just keep it concealed and carry on ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

true but if they detected you and revoked your membership and then you refused to leave that would be a problem

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I carry in both Costco and Target. My wife is a family add-on to a Costco employee membership, I am not a member. I'm torn between no sign = good to go and anti-gun policy = none of my money.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If they were serious about "no guns" - on the part of good guys and bad - they'd install magnetometers and/or arm their security.

While Costco's prohibition is boilerplate, the Target ban is the direct result of attention whoring, and the response is one that allows those of us who don't need to impress others by the presence of our firearms, but gives the appearance of "doing something" that shuts the Marxists up.

Well, at least not until the legal need arises.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry in both Costco and Target. My wife is a family add-on to a Costco employee membership, I am not a member. I'm torn between no sign = good to go and anti-gun policy = none of my money.

If they were serious about "no guns" - on the part of good guys and bad - they'd install magnetometers and/or arm their security.

While Costco's prohibition is boilerplate, the Target ban is the direct result of attention whoring, and the response is one that allows those of us who don't need to impress others by the presence of our firearms, but gives the appearance of "doing something" that shuts the Marxists up.

Well, at least not until the legal need arises.

[humor]  Be gone you and your common sense [/humor]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Carried all the time at Costco and Target in TX when we were down there and certainly was not the only other ones.  Like it's been said before, concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Membership

General Policies

That is my understanding, but I am an engineer, not a lawyer.  

(d) Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is
prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the
entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in
this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or
premises is a private residence. Signs shall be of a uniform
design as established by the Department and shall be 4 inches
by 6 inches in size. The Department shall adopt rules for
standardized signs to be used under this subsection
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(d) Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is
prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the
entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in
this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or
premises is a private residence. Signs shall be of a uniform
design as established by the Department and shall be 4 inches
by 6 inches in size. The Department shall adopt rules for
standardized signs to be used under this subsection

true - they can't have you arrested under FCCA (well shouldn't be able) without a compliant sign.

I don't know that anybody has been arrested under Sect 65 D yet so we don't know how compliant a sign needs to be

Now if you were caught in Costco and they instantly revoked your membership and asked you to leave and you refused - then

1. you're being an ass clown
2. they might be able to pinch you on trespassing

Carry on and carry concealed

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top