Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 6:30:19 PM EDT
I recently received a letter saying my electrical supplier will be changed to ComEd effective 9/15/14 unless I pick a different supplier. Any pro/cons with ComEd or is another supplier better? I looked at the choices and I'm confused. Just wondering if anybody has switched and is happy or not?  TIA

Jack in Elgin
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently received a letter saying my electrical supplier will be changed to ComEd effective 9/15/14 unless I pick a different supplier. Any pro/cons with ComEd or is another supplier better? I looked at the choices and I'm confused. Just wondering if anybody has switched and is happy or not?  TIA

Jack in Elgin
View Quote

Illinois deregulated electrical supply a few years ago, so you can choose who the electricity comes from. Where I'm at (just outside of St. Louis) Ameren Illinois is the company that owns the lines/meters/right of way, but the actual electricty is supplied by Homefield Energy. The town I live in negotiates contracts to get the lowest price per kWh, and comparing it to the other suppliers in the area it tends to be the cheapest. I still get a bill from Ameren and pay them since they still deliver it, but the actual supply portion will go to Homefield. There are multiple companies that now supply electricity that you can choose from, but if your town negotiates with them they can usually get a lower price since they'll get more customers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Jack in Elgin
View Quote

ComEd will always be your utility. They handle the Distribution (deliver of power). You call them no matter what when it comes to your power since they own the poles and electrical lines.

If you get a supplier, they will handle Generation and Transmission. So the price for this portion of your bill may be lower.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top