Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 10:05:08 PM EDT
So I'm in the market for an AR15. Local gun shop has an awesome deal on a new colt decked out in dark earth magpul for $995 out the door with store and factory warranty. The problem is the salesperson couldn't give me much information on ownership in Chicago. He in my opinion was very unprofessional by telling me "just don't get caught". I am a handgun owner and have been ever since the city implemented legal handgun ownership a few years ago. I jumped through all the hoops to obtain the notorious CFP (Chicago firearms Permit) all in the name of protecting my family. Funny thing is I just found out that there is no such thing as a CFP any more in chicago. All you need is a valid FOID card to own a handgun. With all these law changes occurring it has left things unclear and me confused. I understand some of the restrictions still stand. Most of these restrictions subsequently make owning a AR15 a big no no. No threaded barrel, no pistol grip, barrel length, rifle caliber etc...

So my question is, does anyone have a clear understanding in the MOST CURRENT laws regarding owning an AR in Chicago and what are the repercussions in merely having one in a Chicago residence?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No go Chief. Here is some discussion:

Linky

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response man. Sucks for all of us here in Chicago. I just stumbled of this NYC compliant AR. Looks kinda crazy but it seems to do the job. Would something like that work in Chicago?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the response man. Sucks for all of us here in Chicago. I just stumbled of this NYC compliant AR. Looks kinda crazy but it seems to do the job. Would something like that work in Chicago?
View Quote

Get the un-neutered 6920 and keep it outside of a jurisdiction that has an ordinance prohibiting AR-15s.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep crossing my fingers an AWB case will make its way up the ladder so it'll be struck down, but no such luck yet. I realize AR's are a no-go inside of Chicago city limits, but what about in cook county? I live in a municipality within Cook that has NO AWB of any sort, am I still good to go with my AR and a 10rd mag, can I legally have a 30rd mag in it? My google fu isn't the greatest and I keep getting conflicting answers from the Fudd's at my LGS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep crossing my fingers an AWB case will make its way up the ladder so it'll be struck down, but no such luck yet. I realize AR's are a no-go inside of Chicago city limits, but what about in cook county? I live in a municipality within Cook that has NO AWB of any sort, am I still good to go with my AR and a 10rd mag, can I legally have a 30rd mag in it? My google fu isn't the greatest and I keep getting conflicting answers from the Fudd's at my LGS.
View Quote

I keep my AR's with 30 round mags in palatine. You should be good.

Also, the cabelas in hoffman estates is in cook county and they sell "high cap" mags. Which is where I get mine from.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Schaumburg myself and I know the local cabella's sells em, I just keep hearing different information and whatever I read on the internet just leaves me wondering which is correct. I know pistol mags are good to go since they're coverd under the new ccw laws, but I was unsure of rifle mags.
Top Top