Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 11:56:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're number 10,001 and 10,002 to have your guns fixed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap...  Well, the article was from 2010, so maybe he's getting around to fixing them.  I wonder what happened to all of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
email sent

I was NOT HAPPY with work he did about 15years ago
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked to him a 3 years ago about a HK94 project I wanted done. He talked himself up a bunch but I did get the reccomendation from this hometown forum. I guess luckily intuition kept me from using him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anyone know Jim Gravitt formerly the owner of Pro-Tech Engineering in Saybrook, Ill?

He's had a couple of guns of mine for a few years; at this point unlikely I will ever get back.

Found this story: http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/111976389.html

10,000 guns not on the books....
View Quote
I would call saybrook pd and talk to anyone who'd listen. if you don't get your guns back hopefully this turd gets locked up for a long time!

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
he threaded and mounted my fs in about 05 or 06. right after he opened up I went there to check out the shop, and I remember him saying something  about making working firearms from nonworking guns(parting them together) for some distributor I had heard of but cant remember now.

he used to work for Vollmers back in the day.

sorry about your guns  hope you get them back

btw  don't know if saybrook has a cop  might want to try McLean county Sheriff

Have you been in contact with them?  I could try to get out there and see if they are still open if you want.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Lost his FFL some time back.  Had a little hole-in-the-wall retail place I visited one time maybe eight or ten years ago.  Last I knew was that he was open again using some other guy's FFL.  My old dentist, before moving to Texas, said that Gravitt wanted him to get an FFL so he could use it to continue to run his shop.  "No way," my dentist said.

I got the impression Gravitt was dysfunctional, based upon his appearance (dirty clothes, unshowered & unshaved), and him admitting he had some important gun work to do but he was instead working on some drag racing car or some shit like that as he had a race that coming weekend.  I felt like he was also in a rush to get back to working on his race car instead of helping me in the retail shop.   It's been a long time though.

Last I knew he was teaching IL CCW classes with some guy named Quigley or Quinland at some gun club in the area.  Not sure if he still cuts corners on his classes like he used to, but a friend of a friend said he took one of Gravitt's classes and that Gravitt didn't do anything except bitch about Obama before letting them out hours early.  Oh yeah, the live-fire for his NRA Basic Pistol was shooting into a snail drum - that's why I remembered it.  

I would avoid the guy like the plague.

ETA:  You should drive down.  He's still in the same place in Saybrook as far as I know.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would call saybrook pd and talk to anyone who'd listen. if you don't get your guns back hopefully this turd gets locked up for a long time!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know Jim Gravitt formerly the owner of Pro-Tech Engineering in Saybrook, Ill?
He's had a couple of guns of mine for a few years; at this point unlikely I will ever get back.

Found this story: http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/111976389.html
10,000 guns not on the books....

Don't think there is such a beast.  It's a two-dog town of maybe a couple hundred folks, if that.  Hell, for all I know, Gravitt's prolly the mayor.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
email sent

I was NOT HAPPY with work he did about 15years ago
View Quote

Same here.  He installed an Urbach MP5 barrel on a 94 for me and installed a paddle mag release.  Functioned fine, but the paddle mag had the rattle issue and he dented the rcvr slightly near the HK94 marking.  Never got my factory bbl back and was always hard to get ahold of.  I think the turn around was about four months, but this was back in 2002.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
IM sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top