Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 7:05:14 AM EDT
A big Howdy to all the Chicago folks out there!

Going to be coming to town this weekend for a few days (12th-17th). I pretty much have Sat night thru Monday night open for exploring and experiencing the city. I have a few things I want to check out, but always open to more recommendations.
The biggest thing I am looking for is some AWESOME food and a place I can get drunk. I would kill for a small local bar that plays old time country (Williams Sr, WIlls, Tubb, Haggard, Paycheck - Stuff like that).
So if you got a line on any of the above I would sure appreciate hearin' from ya.

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Museum of Science & Industry - German submarine U-505

Art Institute - includes a cool weapons & armor exhibit

a whole lot more

Field Museum
Shedd Aquarium
Navy Pier
Brookfield Zoo
Second City - improv comedy

Looks like the Cubs are not in town, otherwise I'd say Cubs game and Wrigleyville would be on the list

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The whole place is a sewer not worth of your hard earned dollars.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
It's sad, I was born and raised my whole childhood in Chicago and I have nothing good to say about it. Maybe just cause I was raised here the tourism appeal goes right out the window, or just the fact that I despise it here.

Where are you staying, what kinds of food, what types of hobbies do you enjoy (for example, I visit breweries and collect glassware around the country).

With some more specifics I'm sure everyone could help you out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's sad, I was born and raised my whole childhood in Chicago and I have nothing good to say about it. Maybe just cause I was raised here the tourism appeal goes right out the window, or just the fact that I despise it here.

Where are you staying, what kinds of food, what types of hobbies do you enjoy (for example, I visit breweries and collect glassware around the country).

View Quote

Coming from South Dakota the Touristy stuff is not all that attractive. I mean sure, I want to see the Cloud Gate, Navy Peir and whatnot, but I can only stand about a day of that shit. I love good food. The cuisine doesn't matter much, as I do like to try things from all over the world.
I am an Engineer by trade and am looking forward to the Science and History Museum. Outside of that I am pretty much on call 60-70% of the time, so when I get out of town I like to drink and bullshit with the locals as I enjoy just talking to people and sharing their life experiences and hearing their points of view on things... I do brew some beer and wine, so a Brewery might be cool.

Another thought... any good Strip Clubs around Downtown? Ones I wouldn't get shot or stabbed in?

Cheers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Coming from South Dakota the Touristy stuff is not all that attractive. I mean sure, I want to see the Cloud Gate, Navy Peir and whatnot, but I can only stand about a day of that shit. I love good food. The cuisine doesn't matter much, as I do like to try things from all over the world.

I am an Engineer by trade and am looking forward to the Science and History Museum. Outside of that I am pretty much on call 60-70% of the time, so when I get out of town I like to drink and bullshit with the locals as I enjoy just talking to people and sharing their life experiences and hearing their points of view on things... I do brew some beer and wine, so a Brewery might be cool.

Another thought... any good Strip Clubs around Downtown? Ones I wouldn't get shot or stabbed in?

Cheers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers.
Very few strip clubs actually in the city, about the closest is Admiral Theater, but I am no expert on the subject of strip clubs. i think the only reason they are able to operate is because they have been there so long and are mob affiliated.  That is the only strip club I have ever been to, I am not a fan of strip clubs in general.
Where will you be staying?

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very few strip clubs actually in the city, about the closest is Admiral Theater, but I am no expert on the subject of strip clubs. i think the only reason they are able to operate is because they have been there so long and are mob affiliated.  That is the only strip club I have ever been to, I am not a fan of strip clubs in general.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers.

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the hotel before.

I will be in the Hyatt McCormick Regency.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Why so much hate about Chicago? I love living in the city. I get it's not for everyone though.

If you want a place with good sandwiches and beer check out Lucky's.

http://www.luckysandwich.com/

They have a locations in wrigleyville, maxwell st, and whicker park. It's my go to spot.

If you're into burgers, check out The Blue Frog Local 22, on hubbard st. They have a burger stuffed with corned beef, it's awesome.
There are many bars on hubbard st too, so if you are looking to bar hop, hubbard st or wrigleyville would be two good areas to be in. Hubbard is downtown, wrigleyville is up north.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
If your into brewing beer, there are a ton of breweries and most of them do tours.  One of my current favorites is Revolution Brewing...it's a bit north of where you are staying, but worth the trip imo.  Haymarket pub is another popular one, I had bad service (bad enough I won't go back) there but the beer was good, food was alright.  

I second Lucky's!  Fries and slaw on the sandwich is an experience haha
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why so much hate about Chicago? I love living in the city. I get it's not for everyone though.

They have a locations in wrigleyville, maxwell st, and whicker park. It's my go to spot.

If you're into burgers, check out The Blue Frog Local 22, on hubbard st. They have a burger stuffed with corned beef, it's awesome.
There are many bars on hubbard st too, so if you are looking to bar hop, hubbard st or wrigleyville would be two good areas to be in. Hubbard is downtown, wrigleyville is up north.
View Quote

You're asking this on a firearms site?

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Try Taylor Street between Halsted and Ashland. You can find every type of cuisine within a 1.5-2 mile stretch. It's just west of the loop right by UIC. On Taylor St, I really like Golden Thai and De Pasada. At Maxwell and Halsted there is this badass Vietnamese place right next to Lucky's Sandwich Company (which I've never tried but is supposed to be really good) which has amazing bahn mi sandwiches. The number one thing I shall miss (besides yoga pants) when I graduate in less than a month is all the great food Shitcago has to offer.

For finding food in the city, Yelp is your best friend.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to try out some breweries, Chicago is a great place. You can visit a few great and big name ones all that are relatively close to each other.

Goose Island, there are 2. One is in Wrigleyville which is a huge bar area for bar hopping and they also sell pretty decent food.
Revolution Brewing, a bit out of the way but great beer and food. Beware of hipsters though.
  - there are also more smaller breweries in the area within walking distance, all decent. Beware again of hipsters.
Half Acre only sells beer and offers tours regularly.
Atlas Brewing, in Lincoln Park so in the Area of a lot of colleges and bar scenes. Good food and beer.

You never mentioned if your coming alone or not, but I would most definitely stop at a Lou Malinatis or one of the numerous other deep dish pizza chains. This will probably be a nigh ender though because you'll be too full to do anything else.

Portillos also tops my list for a great place to eat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Try the Rush Street location for Gibson's.  Great steakhouse with great service, but pricey.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, you're right.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#14]

save a whole day for the museum of science and industry! pay the extra money to tour inside the U-505 submarine.

Portillo's for a combo sammich easy dip with hot peppers, French fries and a tamale should get you through the whole day. if you like chocolate get the chocolate cake shake! Pequod's pizza has the best pizza in the city bar none!  I suggest getting a thin crust and a deep dish for the total experience. BBQ is not high on the list for Chicago food.

White Sox or Blackhawks game is a good way to kill a few hours. if you fly into ohare take the blue line train and get a transfer to the red line to save yourself $50.00. any other questions just ask.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
save a whole day for the museum of science and industry! pay the extra money to tour inside the U-505 submarine.

Portillo's for a combo sammich easy dip with hot peppers, French fries and a tamale should get you through the whole day. if you like chocolate get the chocolate cake shake! Pequod's pizza has the best pizza in the city bar none!  I suggest getting a thin crust and a deep dish for the total experience. BBQ is not high on the list for Chicago food.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/enlarge/chicago%20sandwich.JPG

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20080730-pequods-pie.jpg

White Sox or Blackhawks game is a good way to kill a few hours. if you fly into ohare take the blue line train and get a transfer to the red line to save yourself $50.00. any other questions just ask.
View Quote

That might not be an option right now...

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/#!restaurants/carmines

http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/chicago-pages-579.php

http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/#!restaurants/the-rosebud

Any of these for dinner work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the great info all!

I am traveling with a co-worker and his wife. We are flying into O'Hare, but we are suppose to land around 1600 Sat... I am sure we will just get a taxi and forget about it, unless they have a hotel shuttle. I will have to check out the airport's website.

Cheers all

ETA; Wasn't Blue Frog Local 22 on Bar Rescue??? I might have to try to rewatch that episode before the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I grew up in Chicago 25 years before I escaped.  I absolute hate it now. What's to hate?

speeding cameras

red light cameras

taxes

pollution

over population

traffic

politicians

Is that enough?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#20]
keefer's

20 west kinzie street, chicago il 60654 call 3124679525

one of the best steaks i have had in a long time. 28 day aged beef.

not cheap at all, but food was awesome and the owner greets you at the door.

for a burger:

berghoffs near union station, good beer and soda also.

they have a black cherry soda thats is just great.

i am a geno's east deep dish kind of guy

if you like soccer or a english breakfast:

there is a real soccer bar 2 blocks north of state and congress
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#21]
speeding cameras

red light cameras

taxes

pollution

over population

traffic

politicians

Is that enough?

View Quote

Crime galore
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I'll second Kuma's!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great info all!

I am traveling with a co-worker and his wife. We are flying into O'Hare, but we are suppose to land around 1600 Sat... I am sure we will just get a taxi and forget about it, unless they have a hotel shuttle. I will have to check out the airport's website.

Cheers all

ETA; Wasn't Blue Frog Local 22 on Bar Rescue??? I might have to try to rewatch that episode before the weekend.
View Quote

Believe it or not, from 1500-1830 it will probably be faster taking the blue line and transferring. Public trans sucks, but I hate cabbies and traffic more
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'll second Kuma's!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll second Kuma's!

Only problem with Kuma's is the wait. If you get a taste for some Italian food try a place called Sabatino's at 4441 Irving pk rd. There's no better Italian food in the city!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Let us know what you did/ think after the big weekend.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I grew up in Chicago 25 years before I escaped.  I absolute hate it now. What's to hate?

speeding cameras

red light cameras

taxes

pollution

over population

traffic

politicians

Is that enough?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

speeding cameras

red light cameras

taxes

pollution

over population

traffic

politicians

Is that enough?

To each his own.

Edit: Yes the Blue Frog 22 was on bar rescue lol Rewatch the episode, you'll still see the owners mom sitting around drinking.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#28]
You have to stop at a Portillos and have a combo with hot peppers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You have to stop at a Portillos and have a combo with hot peppers.
View Quote

For sure gonna hit up Kuma's and Portillo's....

just packing for this thing and threw this shirt in, thought ya'll would appreciate it:
http://www.libertyshirtmarket.com/From_My_Cold_Dead_Hands_SKULL_GUNS_T_Shirt_p/1048.htm

ETA; and my Springfiled Hoodie... cause you decided that you have not had enough shitty weather this year:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_49&products_id=656

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Johnnie's Beef. Skip portillos for the real beef in town.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://www.foodrepublic.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/enlarge/chicago%20sandwich.JPG

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20080730-pequods-pie.jpg

View Quote

This guy knows what he's talking about!!  Portillos, FTMFW!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

No better beef! Also get the Italian Ice
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there one of those in the city or are you guys suggesting the Elmwood Park location? That is not easy to get to if the OP does not have a car.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is there one of those in the city or are you guys suggesting the Elmwood Park location? That is not easy to get to if the OP does not have a car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elmwood park, of course. Worth any hassle to get Johnnie's.

Also not that hard without wheels. Union station to Elmwood park. Walk a mile or so south. Have cash in hand the whole way. Taste a beef from heaven.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#35]
got to portillos yesterday... good food... just felt like cattle getting pushed through. rude staff. also meet up with an old college roommate and his family that were in town for the cheer thing out at Navy Pier.
Found a Sake bar somewhere about a half mile East of there that let me put my phone on the sound system so we had some sake with gold old time country music for a bit.

Got in the cloud gate this Am before the weather turned to shit...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
got to portillos yesterday... good food... just felt like cattle getting pushed through. rude staff. also meet up with an old college roommate and his family that were in town for the cheer thing out at Navy Pier.
Found a Sake bar somewhere about a half mile East west of there that let me put my phone on the sound system so we had some sake with gold old time country music for a bit.

View Quote

You mean west as there wouldn't be any bar (catering to humans at least) on the bottom of Lake Michigan

Portillos is good but personally I think they're overrated. You should have stopped at a Buona Beef. Their beefs have a nice spice level whereas Portillios (to me) is pretty damn bland.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Kuma's Corner, Bangers and Lace, and Piece are usually the spots I hit when we have guests in from out of town. All three have great food and beer menus.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You mean west as there wouldn't be any bar (catering to humans at least) on the bottom of Lake Michigan

Portillos is good but personally I think they're overrated. You should have stopped at a Buona Beef. Their beefs have a nice spice level whereas Portillios (to me) is pretty damn bland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a Sake bar somewhere about a half mile East west of there that let me put my phone on the sound system so we had some sake with gold old time country music for a bit.

haha. i donno.... but we walked from Portillos to the Pier and it was about halfway... honestly it was probably the best time yet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top