Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2014 2:41:48 PM EDT
You might mention any strengths or weakness you have found in your setup.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have CCW permits from other states as well as Illinois and have been carrying legally outside Illinois for years. I use a Don Hume leather high ride pancake holster for carrying either my Glock 26 or G19. I like Glocks because they tend to be lightweight and run well with minimal lubrication to attract dirt and stain clothing. I've tried inside-the-waistband holsters but I find they are not as comfortable for me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a sig .380  in a galco iwb holster right now at work, and most of the day i do not even feel it. outside of work i carry a wilson x tac compact .45  in  a galco iwb.
also have a pocket holster for the sig but have found the  iwb tucks in low and close to the body. in sumer time i will hav to re think how i carry
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about a dozen handguns and originally thought glock 23 would be my primary carry.  Been carrying a charter arms undercover, kahr p380 and glock 27 all more than the glock 23.  Smaller and lighter has definitely won out.  I think in the end a single stack 9/40 will become my EDC.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the weather honestly.

In the real hot summers i would pocket carry a DB380
If I could wear a bit more clothing, Glock 23 or 26
Winter, Ill carry whatever I  feel like for the day... maybe a 5" 1911, maybe the Glock 20.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
USPc in a Crossbreed for moderate/cold weather.

Still working on a t-shirt weather rig. My CZ-82 turns out to be uncomfortable in the small DeSantis IWB I picked up. I may pick up another Crossbreed for it.

I'm also looking at a S&W J-frame for hot weather and business-carry. ETA: Possibly a Model 351C which could double as a back-up. .22 mag is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Kirkpatrick leather IWB for the Glock 26, Alien Gear for Glock 19, Galco leather OWB for both and Old Faithful for the wife for her Taurus Model 85. I also have carried for a few years now outside Illinois with my Utah permit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
m&p45c in a old faithful iwb
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
HK45 in a Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC.

Looking at getting a S&W Bodyguard or something for summer carry until I can afford an HK45c.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Winter/Coat weather Dwights OWB Holster and belt http://www.dwightsgunleather.com/product-examples.html Les Baer Super Tactical 1911
Summer /Shirt only weather Crossbreed Super Tuck and a G19 . Due to me my crutches  inadvertently exposing/printing / flashing I had to slide the whole rig back closer to my back side . Not as comfortable as at 4 O'clock position , but Tolerable
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Shield 9mm in a slim single clip Kydex IWB holster from The Well Armed Woman. Reinforced dress gun belt (black patent leather - it's shiny! ) from the makers of the Flashbang Holster (Looper Law enforcement). I carry appendix at about 2 o'clock. Super comfy for me and conceals very well. My usual outfit is jeans with a little cardigan over a t-shirt or tank. I've had people who know I carry look me over and they can't find where I carry until I tell them. It's been a good exercise, as it makes other women friends think more about carrying on body.

Haven't found a thing wrong with it. It is easier drawing from concealment with the 8 round mag, so I've just switched to carrying that.

I did buy a Gun Tote'n Mamas CCW purse way before I found this holster/belt combo, thinking I'd carry in my purse. Thought I'd never be able to carry on body. Wrong! I still carry the CCW purse everyday as it's a great purse, but I only use the holster for my spare mag.

I just need to find an IWB mag holder, as I'd prefer to have my reload on my body.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
S&W 3913 in a Bianchi IWB holster.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
for my glock 19 I have a crossbreed super tuck.  Its very nice.

For my springfield xds 45 I have a galco king tuk.   Its almost identical to the crossbreed.  Its a few dollars cheaper and you dont have to wait for it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I am very hot natured so I will be experimenting on carry options.  For now, when I don't feel comfortable with Keltec PF9 in Crossbreed IWB, I ankle carry a Keltec P38T.  

However, I picked up a new Sig P938 yesterday.  I love everything about this pistol except I have to do something about the trigger!!!  I measured it at 8lb 6oz !!!  Very accurate if you can find a cheater bar that will fit in the triggerguard.  

I have lasers on ALL my carry and home defense guns.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I use a Blackhawk IWB holster with a Glock 27. Not my ideal setup, but it's been sufficient for vacationing in the southern states during summertime. When I get my IL license and will be carrying on a more consistent basis, I will explore a setup with the SIG P938 (because it's thinner and is SAO).
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am very hot natured so I will be experimenting on carry options.  For now, when I don't feel comfortable with Keltec PF9 in Crossbreed IWB, I ankle carry a Keltec P38T.  

However, I picked up a new Sig P938 yesterday.  I love everything about this pistol except I have to do something about the trigger!!! I measured it at 8lb 6oz !!!  Very accurate if you can find a cheater bar that will fit in the triggerguard.  

View Quote

This might help:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/140200_Sig_P938_Trigger_Job___Homemade.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Most of the time it will probably be an HK P30 in an Old Faithful IWB Hip Holster, at around the 4 o'clock position. It rides and re-holsters well, but I don't like how wide the foot print is. I'll probably mix in my P7 at times in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. It's so thin and comfortable I've slept while wearing it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Just starting out, and would like some opinions.

Currently, it is a Colt Detective Special with a Bianchi IWB.  Its like carrying a friggen brick!

When wearing a coat, I have a Sig 228 in a Blackhawk Serpa.

I'm in the market for a new setup.  Here are my thoughts:

Regular carry (all 9mm): either a Smith and Wesson Shield, Ruger SR9c, or Beretta Nano.

I'm also considering getting a Taurus PT-22 for summer carry.

I appreciate any opinions you have on the above items.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, I picked up a new Sig P938 yesterday.  I love everything about this pistol except I have to do something about the trigger!!! I measured it at 8lb 6oz !!!  Very accurate if you can find a cheater bar that will fit in the triggerguard.  

This might help:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/140200_Sig_P938_Trigger_Job___Homemade.html

Thanks!  I've been looking for information like that!!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry in Missouri with a UTAH NR.
Kimber 5" Tactical Custom II 1911.
Alien gear or Galco  Sum212, both IWB
Only issue I had was before I bought a couple really heavy belts (Saddle grade leather)
You really need the support of a good belt with a full size 1911.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
for my glock 19 I have a crossbreed super tuck.  Its very nice.

For my springfield xds 45 I have a galco king tuk.   Its almost identical to the crossbreed.  Its a few dollars cheaper and you dont have to wait for it.
View Quote

I'm carrying the same except I carry my Springfield Custom 1911 in my Crossbreed, and my XDM9 3.8 in my Galco. While the leather, fit and adjustability is better with the Crossbreed, the Galco is a good option.

I carried all day today after work, and after a half an hour I almost forgot it was there. I did a lot of shopping that required me to bend or squat and not one mention of me printing. I carry over my right hip canted forward, with me being a bigger guy, you don't see anything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Currently, it is a Colt Detective Special with a Bianchi IWB.  Its like carrying a friggen brick!

Regular carry (all 9mm): either a Smith and Wesson Shield, Ruger SR9c, or Beretta Nano.

View Quote

My opinion S&W Shield 9 or Nano.  If you feel you need smaller try one of the .380s LCP, Glock 42 or Pico.
I do not trust rimfire autos for defense. I do not recommend rimfires myself - but if you must, I feel better w/ rimfire revolver.
Ruger LCR, Taurus 82 Ultraliite or S&W 351c in better yet .22 Mag.

Good belt, good holster, adjust attire and practice you would be surprised what you can carry even in warm weather.
Crossline Defense Inc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Kahr CM9 with a Foxx Trapp IWB when my permit gets here. Getting a pocket holster for cargo shorts weather.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#24]
A Glock 19 or 26 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My opinion S&W Shield 9 or Nano.  If you feel you need smaller try one of the .380s LCP, Glock 42 or Pico.
I do not trust rimfire autos for defense. I do not recommend rimfires myself - but if you must, I feel better w/ rimfire revolver.

Good belt, good holster, adjust attire and practice you would be surprised what you can carry even in warm weather.
Crossline Defense Inc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossline Defense Inc.

Thank you for your opinion.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#26]
XDS .45 in a crossbreed supertuck horsehide. The horsehide makes a world of difference. To me it is not as hot as cowhide because it does not absorb sweat. If it is really hot outside I use one of the blackhawk pocket holsters with a lc9 or lcp. I sometimes carry my Springfield match 15 1911. That is really dependent on what I am wearing. It is nowhere as easy to hide as the xds.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I do not recommend rimfires myself - but if you must, I feel better w/ rimfire revolver.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more!  .22's are notorious for bad ignition.  They will do better in a revolver but they are still just a .22.
If it is all you have or can handle, it is much better than a sharp stick and I've ask for a show of hands in many of my classes for anyone that would like to be shot with a .22...wisely no takers!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Milt Sparks Axiom (OWB) and VM-II (IWB)

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Crossline Defense Inc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossline Defense Inc.

I was thinking about your answer.  Why don't you like rimfire autos for defense (I just don't have experience with them)?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was thinking about your answer.  Why don't you like rimfire autos for defense (I just don't have experience with them)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossline Defense Inc.

Reliability of rimfire ignition is my guess?  I have had LOTS of misfires with 22 LR, and none that I can think of with centerfire.  I have shot more 22LR to be fair, but that's my guess.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow!  A 1980s gun!

I usually carry a Glock 26 or 19 when I'm in free states.

Once my license arrives (training in a lil over two weeks), little will probably change.

Holster?  IWB kydex by Comp-Tac.   I think it is called the Infidel.

I've not worn it 24/7 for more than a few days at a stretch.  I suspect my set up will change after a couple of month of figuring out what works better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Been carrying a xdm 4.5" 9mm in a crossbreed supertuck. Its a little big and it prints a lot. Dam shirt keeps on getting stuck on the grip. Trying a 3 to 4 o'clock carry positions. I always have to wear a loose sweatshirt or coat.

Waiting for the xds 45 to get back from Springfield's repair department so I can carry a smaller gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wow! A 1980s gun!

Once my license arrives (training in a lil over two weeks), little will probably change.

I've not worn it 24/7 for more than a few days at a stretch.  I suspect my set up will change after a couple of month of figuring out what works better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow! A 1980s gun!

1991. But us old guys don't worry about such things.

It's a nice gun but got run over by the stampede to plastic and would be too expensive for anyone to buy now. It's a reliable as my Glocks in normal use but the thing that makes it a better carry gun is simple. The slide is substantially thinner.  Even a G26 is less comfortable for me to carry.  I'm sure I'll carry this until Glock decides to give us what we've been asking for. A single stack 9mm with a slide that isn't 1 1/4" thick.

You should shoot one of the Smith's if you get the chance. You might be surprised and like it. ;)
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I made these holsters for my carry guns.

M&P Shield 9mm IWB with micro suede overlay:

Holster

Pros: Comfy with the Micro Suede overlay. Can be used Appendix, small of back, or anywhere in between. Secure, the gun will not fall out since it is custom formed Kydex and used a mil-spec pull-the-dot fastener on the belt loop.

Cons: not totally stable when worn behind the hip.  This could be fixed by adding a second belt loop (which I might do) but I usually use this for AIWB so it doesn't bother me.

Gun

Pro: Gun is small, light, and slim.  Easy to conceal

Con: Capacity

M&P 9c OWB:

Holster

Pros: OWB is more comfy that IWB. The loops setup on here sucks the gun ridiculously close to the body. Secure, snappy Kydex retention and solid, injection molded belt loops.

Cons: ???

Gun

Pro: More Capacity, Laser Grip

Con: Slightly heavier and wider than the Shield, a little harder to conceal

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/10003787_10202612467571201_1404517705197931464_o.jpg

Holster
Pros: Comfy with the Micro Suede overlay. Can be used Appendix, small of back, or anywhere in between. Secure, the gun will not fall out since it is custom formed Kydex and used a mil-spec pull-the-dot fastener on the belt loop.
Cons: not totally stable when worn behind the hip.  This could be fixed by adding a second belt loop (which I might do) but I usually use this for AIWB so it doesn't bother me.
Gun

M&P 9c OWB:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t31.0-8/1957739_10202612467211192_557043802188666298_o.jpg

Holster
Pros: OWB is more comfy that IWB. The loops setup on here sucks the gun ridiculously close to the body. Secure, snappy Kydex retention and solid, injection molded belt loops.
Gun

View Quote

I could probably carry my G23 in that OWB holster and be happy. It's just too chunky to carry IWB. But, maybe I should lose a few lb and it wouldn't be an issue...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I could probably carry my G23 in that OWB holster and be happy. It's just too chunky to carry IWB. But, maybe I should lose a few lb and it wouldn't be an issue...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/10003787_10202612467571201_1404517705197931464_o.jpg

Holster

Gun

M&P 9c OWB:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t31.0-8/1957739_10202612467211192_557043802188666298_o.jpg

Holster

Gun

I generally prefer OWB anyway...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holster
Gun

M&P 9c OWB:

Holster
Gun

Agree. None of the holsters I've found seem to fit close enough in though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#38]
PPS in Crossbreed appendix, cut up the leather so I can actually draw.

P380 in kydex pocket holster

P3AT in pocket holster

A big pokey stick since 380 sucks

Edit: crossbreed belt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#39]
M&P45c in a Front Line tuckable iwb
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossline Defense Inc.

Reliability.  I don't think I have had 1 .22lr auto make it through 30 round qual. course with a failure.  They just don't generate enough pressure and energy to cycle reliably.
Too many good choices in small centerfire pistols.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#41]
G19 in a Foxx IWB (looks like a knock-off Crossbreed type).  Once it got broke-in, its not so bad.  I qualified with it, and the instructor had me move it to a 3o'clock instead of 5o'clock...so I didn't sweep the guy next to me.  I actually liked it more in that position...less printing and shirt tail riding up.

Still waiting on the card, but the Website says my status is "Active" so I assume it will be in the mail!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holster

Gun

M&P 9c OWB:

Holster

Gun

That is why I use the asymmetric loops on my CC OWB holsters.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#43]
HK P7 in a iwb holster. Still playing around with a hybrid from SHTF and a leather VM2

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Reliability.  I don't think I have had 1 .22lr auto make it through 30 round qual. course with a failure.  They just don't generate enough pressure and energy to cycle reliably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crossline Defense Inc.

Had one student that used a .22 revolver in class and to qualify. It took over 40 cartridges to complete the 30 rnd qualifier. It would have been worse but some of them would fire if he rotated them in the chamber and gave them another try.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Glock 33 in a garret silent thunder iwb
Kahr pm9 RM low rider kydex iwb (perfect for all day carry with just a t-shirt)
Kahr p380 in a Mika pocket holster
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Been following along with this thread to learn from others as well.

What would also be really helpful would be to know your height, weight, and frame/build as well so we can put what you are carrying and the rig you are using into the context of your build and how its working for you.  I know that some folks might not be comfortable posting this, and thats fine.  I Completely understand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been carrying a Beretta Nano in a DeSantis IWB holster for about a month now. I've been wearing it at 3:00-3:30 position. It's become very comfortable. Even with a light long sleeve shirt now, people still have to idea. Even people that know I carry don't know where it is.

Edit:  I'm 6'2" 230 lbs. I wear XLT shirts by trade, the extra length is very nice to conceal
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Started with Kydex, went to Kydex and leather, now I use all leather for IWB. I've considered ordering an Ares belt (or similar), and kydex clips for warm weather wear.

Kydex ruins gun's finishes and pants; leather, not so much.

I'm fine with Kydex for OWB stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I plan on rotating the following depending on weather and clothing

Hi power clone
CZ-82
Ruger lcp
Colt commander
Ruger LCR
Sig P938

All of these have seen carry out of state and on my property.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Started with Kydex, went to Kydex and leather, now I use all leather for IWB. I've considered ordering an Ares belt (or similar), and kydex clips for warm weather wear.

Kydex ruins gun's finishes and pants; leather, not so much.

I'm fine with Kydex for OWB stuff.
View Quote

How does soft plastic ruin the finish on a gun any more than leather does?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top