BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2014 2:27:15 PM EDT
As above. thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
did you move to illinois?
did you get an illinois drivers license?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're moving here:  http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/services/newresidentshowdoi.html

As a new Illinois resident, you may continue to drive on your valid out-of-state driver's license for 90 days. CDL holders must obtain an Illinois CDL within 30 days of becoming an Illinois resident.
View Quote

New residents have 30 days to apply for an Illinois title and registration after establishing residence, provided the vehicle is properly registered in another jurisdiction.
View Quote

If you're not moving here, I assume there wouldn't be any restriction, but why would you want to stay?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're moving here:  http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/services/newresidentshowdoi.html

If you're not moving here, I assume there wouldn't be any restriction, but why would you want to stay?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As a new Illinois resident, you may continue to drive on your valid out-of-state driver's license for 90 days. CDL holders must obtain an Illinois CDL within 30 days of becoming an Illinois resident.

New residents have 30 days to apply for an Illinois title and registration after establishing residence, provided the vehicle is properly registered in another jurisdiction.

We have lived in our Subdivision going on 9 years . We have a lot of Military Base people here , So far Some have lived here over 4 years without changing license plates or getting a DL upwards of 4 years . Maybe cause there Armed Forces they get special dispensation
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Jay Cutler's wife found out the hard way that you have to change your plates eventually even if you are rich and famous.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I am finishing college here in Chicago. I thought to bring my car from TX in spring break and drive all the hell back to Chicago. I'll check the link.  thanks again
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you claim residency in another state, you don't need to get IL plates (students and military)

I had NC plates for years while I was active duty and my residency stayed IL the whole time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
i am changing my plates on one car to Wisconsin because I will be leaving this shit hole of Illinois soon.  I would not worry about the plate issue.  If you get pulled over just tell them you are passing through.  The cops in Illinois are focused on more interesting things,  like not working and finding out where the next donuts are going to be free.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i am changing my plates on one car to Wisconsin because I will be leaving this shit hole of Illinois soon.  I would not worry about the plate issue.  If you get pulled over just tell them you are passing through.  The cops in Illinois are focused on more interesting things, like not working and finding out where the next donuts are going to be free.
View Quote

So you're advocating lying to the police, and you throw that little gem in there just for shits and giggles?

You do realize we have quite a few police in the ILHTF right?  If you're so concerned about IL being a shithole and throwing jabs at members here, feel free to start posting in WIHTF instead
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I am finishing college here in Chicago. I thought to bring my car from TX in spring break and drive all the hell back to Chicago. I'll check the link.  thanks again
View Quote

Students and Military are good to go without changing registration.  Common question you'll get asked when you have out of state plates is "are you living here now?"  Just be prepared to answer that you're a student or active duty and still a permanent resident of the state your vehicle is registered in, and you'll be all set!

Just make sure you continue to maintain your registration in your home state; make sure you have a parent or other individual at that address to receive the notification, or maintain it online if your state has a program to do so, like IL's cyber drive cluster****.  I can't tell you how many people I see that let their registration lapse in their home state but continue to drive here.  If you get a state ticket for expired registration and its reported to your home state, sometimes your home state will suspend your driver's license....and while that may be a ticket in your home state if you get stopped on a suspended, in IL a suspended license will get you arrested and processed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone knows how long can I drive a vehicle from another State in Illinois?
View Quote

Until you get to the other side.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
For what it is worth, I asked when I was pulled over one time about my car which is registered in MI still and I have lived here for 12 years.

Basically it is where the car spends the majority of the year, at least that is what I was told.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you claim residency in another state, you don't need to get IL plates (students and military)

I had NC plates for years while I was active duty and my residency stayed IL the whole time.
View Quote

Same with my sister who did her undergrad in the great state of Nebraska.  If she declared NE residency she would lose scholarship $$$ so she kept her IL plates and license.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone knows how long can I drive a vehicle from another State in Illinois?

Well played.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top