Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2012 4:04:14 PM EDT
All,
I'm linking to the original thread started by Eric Beasly regarding Buffalo Range.  I won't attempt to restate what Eric covered as he did a great job with it. If you haven't read it then you should.

Buffalo Range, Ottawa, Il - an excellent, critical, but Vulnerable resource for Northern Il shooters

What I will say is this.  The range is under attack by the DNR.  Plain and simple.  there has been a long running attempt by the DNR to close Buffalo Range down and they have now executed an injunction to close the range down.  There will be no opening day for those of us that call Buffalo Range home.  The state of Illinois has chosen to exercies it's fiat power and declare that Buffalo Range is unsafe and we cannot shoot there.

Details are outlined below in various links that will do a much better job than I can of detailing out what the DNR is doing.

A shooters perspective...

From Buffalo Range:
Recently, Buffalo Range has come under attack by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources with totally unsubstantiated claims that stray bullets are impacting in Buffalo Rock State Park.
With six other private ranges and clubs in the area the IDNR refuses to investigate them and focuses only on Buffalo Range.
This is nothing more than a malicious extension of the liberal anti-gun agenda in Springfield.
Buffalo Range has been here for 41 years as an active shooting range where the public can come to enjoy our sport of shooting. We are one of the very few shooting ranges available to the public.
Help us preserve your shooting rights and our sport!
We encourage you to write letters in support of our sport and our shooting range. Please remember when writing to be professional and truthful in your description of the range and it's operation. Also, when you send a letter to anyone listed below include a copy to The Ottawa Times Editor to insure that our voices are heard.
This may be our business, but it is your place to shoot.
And once it's gone it may be gone forever!!
Thank You.

The bottom line is this...If the state of Illinois can do this to Buffalo Range, then NO range is safe. We either all stick together or we will certainly all hang together.  I know many of you on this board go to other ranges and that is great, but if we do not ALL respond to this like it was an attack on our home range, then the state will continue to pick our shooting places off one by one until it is perfectly legal to own a gun in Ill, it is simply not legal to SHOOT a gun in Ill.

We need to rally behind Buffalo Range.  Write/Call the DNR at the following address/number.  Let's light them up.  Let's let them know how displeased we are with this.  Be polite but firm. Express your displeasure while being pleasant.

Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Spring field
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL. 62702-1271
217-782-6302
Attn: Marc Miller / Director

Call the state reps that cover Buffalo Range:

Senator Rezin
38th District
103 Fifth Street P.O. Box 260
Peru, IL. 61354
815-220-8720

Congressman Adam Kinzinger
11th District, Illinois
2701 Black Road
Joliet, IL. 60435
815-729-2308

Call your state reps.  Let them know what is going on and how unhappy you are.  

If we do not respond to this then our rights will be taken away from us.

The time is NOW to make a stand.  This state is trying to systematically deprive us of our constitutional rights and unless we do something they will.  There are currently bills currently in play that will attempt to force us, law abiding citizens, to register our handguns.  They want to TAX our ammunition.  They want to deprive us of the right to defend ourselves.

Again, if we do not ALL respond to this like it was an attack on our home range, then the state will continue to pick our shooting places off one by one until it is perfectly legal to own a gun in Ill, it is simply not legal to SHOOT a gun in Ill.

Folks, either we wake up and fight, or we die the slow death of a 1000 cuts.  The choice is yours...

Mark Collins
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
So is it shut down, or close to being shut down?
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought a new AR-15 and have been counting down the days until the range re-opens.  If the injunction is true, this is yet another reason to move out of this backwards ass state.  I can't believe how law abiding gun owners are absolutely persecuted in IL.  TOTALLY PISSED!!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]
As I posted in the other. I'll donate some funds to help with legal fees. I'll be making some more phone calls to my reps.
Guys and Gals lets get on this!
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The range opens 03/16.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry Guys!!
We did get shut down today at 1:45pm by the IDNR with a restraining order.
They notified our attorney's office at 1pm and us at 1:45pm and had it in front of the judge who signed it at 2pm.
Never gave us a chance to be present.
The range is now temporarily shut down until this all goes to court.

Guys we need to really get pro active before all our ranges are attacked and shut down.
I may be an RSO at Buffalo Range, but it is also the the range that I use as a home range.
I am in the same boat as you are right now, I HAVE NO WHERE TO SHOOT!
I am hoping that this is temporary and that we will be able to open the range in the near future, keep watching the web site.
Call any elected official you have and voice your opinion about this to them.
Remember this what the IDNR is accuseing the range of simlply cannot happen, it is impossible.
Rebel49
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, this has ruined my weekend.

IL has to be the . . . words fail me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I cant figure this out...there is more to this story...
what I cant figure is that the IDNR runs a small range down here yet they are trying to get your range shut down?
FOLLOW THE MONEY!! I'm betting it is not just the locals that are trying to get you shut down there is someone or something (large corp.) looking into that property..thats why they are ignoring the other ranges in the area..
or IDNR is wanting to use the property for something else...think the world shooting complex in sparta...
they opened that with the intentions of having all kinds of shooting sports venues... but just try and get them to hold a match using anything but a shotgun and your SOL...they have the land to have some nice long distance ranges but refuse to do anything with them...
this is what I was told...they wont hold any competitions/matches or build any new ranges beccause there are no sponsors...
try and get sponsors and the sponsors say they will not sponsor a match because there are no ranges...
nice little catch 22 they have going...
can you  get the local media involved? or are they against you guys? it woud be nice if you could get them to put the range in a positive light, how people are using the range for their newfound 2nd rights...etc
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
IL and WI DNR; they make 1930's world dictators look sane.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I just can not say it loud enough!  This state really sucks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't believe it actually went through.  I will be calling my Rep and Senator on Monday!
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to Illinois. They used the same "stray bullets" argument to shut down the old Fox Valley Range in Dundee years ago.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to Illinois. They used the same "stray bullets" argument to shut down the old Fox Valley Range in Dundee years ago.

I miss Fox Valley, I used to shoot there alot. Yes the stray bullet crap kept coming up, almost impossible to do unless you shot through the roof of the stall......
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#14]
thats fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#15]
crap ... what can we do to help?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss Fox Valley, I used to shoot there alot. Yes the stray bullet crap kept coming up, almost impossible to do unless you shot through the roof of the stall......

yeah that was a great place to shoot, lotsa great memories of that place with my dad and grandfather. I started shooting there as a kid back in the '60 and shot there right up until it closed. And I understand there was cause to suspect much of the "stray bullet" problem was caused by persons looking for a reason to shut the place down.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I cant figure this out...there is more to this story...
what I cant figure is that the IDNR runs a small range down here yet they are trying to get your range shut down?
FOLLOW THE MONEY!! I'm betting it is not just the locals that are trying to get you shut down there is someone or something (large corp.) looking into that property..thats why they are ignoring the other ranges in the area..
or IDNR is wanting to use the property for something else...think the world shooting complex in sparta...
they opened that with the intentions of having all kinds of shooting sports venues... but just try and get them to hold a match using anything but a shotgun and your SOL...they have the land to have some nice long distance ranges but refuse to do anything with them...
this is what I was told...they wont hold any competitions/matches or build any new ranges beccause there are no sponsors...
try and get sponsors and the sponsors say they will not sponsor a match because there are no ranges...
nice little catch 22 they have going...
can you  get the local media involved? or are they against you guys? it woud be nice if you could get them to put the range in a positive light, how people are using the range for their newfound 2nd rights...etc

This.
Suger Grove tried this shit with the ASC IIRC before they moved.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Just passed this on to Rockford Tea Party & our group of elected officials & contacts.

Any of you guys want to be my guests and/or check out range I belong to, let me know.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any way to bring heat on the DNR or even the judge who signed off on the TRO?

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi all,I live ten minutes from the Buffalo shooting park which is the only reason i even purchased any rifles at  all. I had actually planned on going there this Saturday  I've been a lurker on this site for awhile now and decided to finally sign up to reach out to local shooters as I am entertaining the idea of joining a private club but its all coming down to logistics (membership costs vs. distance vs. ease of application process). Unfortunately for me I'm a transplant to this state a new shooter and the only person out of my group of friends who actually tries to shoot on a regular basis.  Any advice  you guys can offer for decent places to shoot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Try Sandyford sportsman club. It has indoor and outdoor range.Outdoor is on Leonore road.Check out the web site sandyfordsportmansclub.com
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the suggestion. Are you a member ? If so do you like it?  The biggest problem I see is it looks like you can't bring guests with you unless they are a spouse or child. I was thinking about trying the Aurora Sportsmen's Club but  $700.00 for the first year, after all the fees seems a bit steep. The ISRA range seems a bit more reasonable but at 140 miles round trip is a bit of a haul. Hopefully if we all do our part we can get Buffalo Shooting park back.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Hang in guys!!!  We're paddleing this thing as fast and hard as we can. The attorney keeps saying it's only temporary.
Keep burning up the politicos phone lines and writing till your finger are sore, DO NOT GIVE UP!
WRITE AND CALL, make them know you're pissed at the IDNR and that they need to do something.
Go to the links in Slatti's post and get the names and phone numbers from the links and call every day.
Rebel49
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hang in guys!!!  We're paddleing this thing as fast and hard as we can. The attorney keeps saying it's only temporary.
Keep burning up the politicos phone lines and writing till your finger are sore, DO NOT GIVE UP!
WRITE AND CALL, make them know you're pissed at the IDNR and that they need to do something.
Go to the links in Slatti's post and get the names and phone numbers from the links and call every day.
Rebel49

Good luck guys, you have a ton of support from us local guys. All we need now is for everyone to do there part and keep these guys from trampling over the rights of us law abiding citizens and put their focus on the criminals.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude!!!  That just plain out sucks!!

Yeah yeah yeah some of you wonder why is someone from WI concerned about this. Most of you know that I moved to WI recently but still I have shot at Buffalo a few times and it is a great place to shoot. It sucks that IL is so anti 2A. Although  fear not I still support you guys by passing the word to those that I still know in IL about something like this.  Will do what I can from where I am.

Rebel you still have that mustache?
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah Lat time I checked it was still under my nose.

New court date, April 11th for the hearing. Restraining order still in effect. Don't know when or how this will end.

Rebel49
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#27]
This sucks.

The weather turns nice early, and the govment turns ugly.

And my fingers are getting sore from being crossed this long.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#28]

The very first fucking time I plan to visit the place, I go to the website and find this.

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn Commies want to make it illegal to shoot.  Its a backdoor gun ban.  But what else to expect from the state that brought us Barrack Obama.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Happy Trails, IDNR reopens sections of Buffalo Rock, towpath

Share 03/25/2012, 10:24 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Steve Stout, [email protected], 815-431-4082
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources announced Saturday that previously closed portions of Buffalo Rock State Park and a section of the Illinois and Michigan Canal Towpath was reopened, temporarily, for the public starting Sunday.

It has been nearly two years since the IDNR closed portions of the recreation areas citing safety concerns over stray bullets from a nearby shooting range. Negotiations between the state and the gun park over range improvements have been ongoing and unsuccessful for most of that time.

On March 15, a La Salle County judge issued an order prohibiting the discharge of any firearms at Buffalo Range Shooting Park, effectively keeping it from a spring opening,and set the matter for a hearing on March 26.

After that court order was issued, the IDNR land management staff assessed the condition of the closed portion of Buffalo Rock State Park and the towpath to determine how long it would take to open the areas for public access if appropriate.

IDNR officials have said it was their hope the matter would be resolved quickly in court. However, on March 22, the shooting park's attorney requested a continuance until April 11, which was granted by La Salle County Circuit Judge Eugene P. Daugherity Friday.

"Because of the delay, and the temporary restraining order from the court, the decision has been made to temporarily reopen the closed portion of the trail at Buffalo Rock to the public on Sunday pending further order from the La Salle County Court," said IDNR Director Marc Miller in a media release Saturday.

The five-mile section of the I&M Canal between the I&M Canal trail head access parking lot north of the entrance to Buffalo Rock State Park and west to Utica that has been closed will be temporarily reopened, said Miller.Additionally, the portion of Buffalo Rock State Park known as the Effigy Tumuli Area will also be temporarily reopened.

Miller indicated in the release the public is welcome to use the previously closed portions of Buffalo Rock and the towpath but should be aware those recreational areas may have to be closed again if safety concerns resurface.

The shooting range remains closed.

One of the first to enjoy the reopened towpath section was bicyclist Julie Wood of Ottawa who pedaled a 12-mile round trip to Utica and back Sunday morning.

Wood, an avid bike rider, said she was excited to have the popular trail reopened. "It's such a nice bike path, it's great to have it back," she said.

Just thought you guys might be interested in this last punch by the IDNR. They kept the trail closed all winter ( Dec. 1- Mar. 25) and now since we are closed and pending court date they will open it, but " close it again if safety resurface". Like if the range reopens again, can anyone say BLACKMAIL! These clowns have repeatedly refused to meet with elected public officials, and the public for 2 years. But it's ok for the Director Miller to make statements now. What a crock this is.
Rebel49
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Has IDNR produced any evidence in court that projectiles left the range and struck a tree, the ground or anything else that proves their case?  Perhaps IDNR has projectiles that left the range and came to rest on park property and presented them as evidence?  Anyone who has actually attended the court hearings want to comment on this?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has IDNR produced any evidence in court that projectiles left the range and struck a tree, the ground or anything else that proves their case?  Perhaps IDNR has projectiles that left the range and came to rest on park property and presented them as evidence?  Anyone who has actually attended the court hearings want to comment on this?

Thats part of the problem pbr, The people from buffalo were never actually given a chance to go to the courts when the injunction was obtained from the judge. It was a clear ambush tactic. From some of the rumors I have heard, just about anyone from the state (doesn't matter what agency) does not have a functioning brain cell.  One offical at the skeet range observing things asked where the bullet (singular) went from shooting skeet!everyone knows that shooting skeet you use shotshells and max distance for shotshells is probably a few hundred yards.

Also from personal experience, the IL state police consider just the projectiles (used for reloading) as "ammunition" as in able to be fired just as a projectile. there is a big difference between a projectile and a fully loaded cartridge.  If that is the ISP then how stupid do you think the rest of the states agencies are? I would be suprised the can get dressed in the morning much less know anything about a gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#33]
The sad thing is, most people believe all of the IL DNR is pro gun, and there have always been political hires there, that aren't neccessarily in favor of gun owner's rights, especially outside of hunting.
The former head of IL DNR, or IL Dept. of Conservation, (whatever it was at the time), under Gov. George (I'm in prison) Ryan, was pretty much an anti.  I can't remember his name right now.
So, sadly a lot of things like this, are political as much as an attempt to get the facts, and make changes, if needed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I have both called and wrote to complain about this. I'm now debating if I should take it a step further and boycott IDNR through not purchasing any licenses or tags this season (as much as I love hunting and fishing it would be a huge sacrifice). I'm willing to pay for the membership at hidden lakes to fish without a license. IDNR makes most of its money through sportsman licensing, not from bird watchers and bicyclists. Hit them where it hurts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#35]
any news on where this is going? is Buff Rock getting any help from the ISRA?
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Just called the senators and congressmans office regarding the closing of the shooting park. They all seem to be for the park to remain open. Everyone give them a call it takes 5 minutes someone will answer the phone, they are friendly. Just tell them you want the park to remain open.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I hope you guys keep up on this. As far as updates, I am in the dark as the rest of you. Although I have no idea if the ISRA is helping or not. About all I know is that there is a court date in the next week or 2 if I remember right. But updates, I have no idea when anyone that knows the people from the range will be able to update.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#38]
they go to court the 11th of this month"April"
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Lets hope for the best good luck guys
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Counter-sue the state for harassment. This isn't the first time the range has been shut down, so at some point it becomes harassment.

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#41]
i hope we get some good news today!
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
i hope we get some good news today!

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#43]
any good word?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#44]
EDIT: Sorry... didnt see other post...

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_8_23/483820_.html&page=2&anc=bottom#bottom

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I know not a solution to your range, but you guys are invited to our club's open house this weekend.

www.tcgc.net

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#46]
IM sent
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 5:41:06 AM EDT
[#47]
looks like might open soon but no pit...

link
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#48]
That article was updated today, no agreement as yet per the updated article.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top