Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2009 11:34:24 PM EDT
History tends to repeat itself, so I was contemplating the unintended consequences of the new registration law in CA for handgun ammo.  

Personally, I think every crime organization in the state is going to create a black market for importing and selling ammo to anyone who wants it. You would have thought that Prohibition, which essentially created the Italian, Irish, Jewish Mobs, and the Drug War would have been a lessons in futility for all those stupid politicians in Sacramento as well as Arnold, the Austrian village idiot.

In addition, this is also a back-door registration scheme of every firearm-type a person owns. You would not necessarily buy ammo for a gun you do not own.

So I predict caravans of cars and buses of law-abiding people traveling over the border to neighboring states to buy ammo. If the CA cops do intercede, someone will use the interstate commerce clause of the Constitution to derail any convictions and prevent future arrests.  

If I was a gun shop owner in CA. I would really be pissed...Not to mention mail-order companies, who can no longer ship ammo direct to CA.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The law is never going to take effect.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Says who??  Why???

Arnold signed it and the liberal jerks will figure a way on paying for it with some new ammo tax.  However, the cops may figure its a waste of resources and not comply with the law.

I would not hold my breath...
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says who??  Why???

Arnold signed it and the liberal jerks will figure a way on paying for it with some new ammo tax.  However, the cops may figure its a waste of resources and not comply with the law.

I would not hold my breath...

The bill was signed into law and is set to take effect in February of 2012, but that will not happen.

The law will not go into effect for a number of reasons. The first effort to do away with it is a legislative effort (AB373) to overturn the law which may well pass.

Even if it doesn't, I am more confident it will not pass due to the judicial challenge already planned for it. AB962 would regulate interstate commerce and is preempted by the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 1994 (FAAAAA '94).

Long story short, the law will be struck down quickly. It is cheaper and potentially more expedient to attempt to overturn it with AB373 before investing the necessary resources to mount the legal challenge in court, but one way or another, AB962 will never be implemented.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top