Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 5:10:12 PM EDT
Help me out Silver Staters.

In California, Section 5150 of the Welfare and Institution Code empowers a peace officer or doctor to have a person committed for three days of observation if the peace officer or doctor believes that individual to be a danger to him/herself or others.  Does Nevada have a similar law?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
NRS 433A covers psych admissions:

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-433A.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Sir!  Here's what I found that is the equivalent to CA W&I Section 5150.

NRS 433A.150  Detention for evaluation, observation and treatment; limitation on time.
     1.  Any person alleged to be a person with mental illness may, upon application pursuant to NRS 433A.160 and subject to the provisions of subsection 2, be detained in a public or private mental health facility or hospital under an emergency admission for evaluation, observation and treatment.
     2.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, a person detained pursuant to subsection 1 must be released within 72 hours, including weekends and holidays, after the certificate required pursuant to NRS 433A.170 and the examination required by paragraph (a) of subsection 1 of NRS 433A.165 have been completed, if such an examination is required, or within 72 hours, including weekends and holidays, after the person arrives at the mental health facility or hospital, if an examination is not required by paragraph (a) of subsection 1 of NRS 433A.165, unless, before the close of the business day on which the 72 hours expires, a written petition for an involuntary court-ordered admission to a mental health facility is filed with the clerk of the district court pursuant to NRS 433A.200, including, without limitation, the documents required pursuant to NRS 433A.210, or the status of the person is changed to a voluntary admission.
     3.  If the period specified in subsection 2 expires on a day on which the office of the clerk of the district court is not open, the written petition must be filed on or before the close of the business day next following the expiration of that period.
     (Added to NRS by 1975, 1602; A 1985, 2269; 1989, 1758; 2001, 3041; 2003, 1944; 2009, 334; 2013, 3489
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
A 72 hour legal hold is almost universal across the various states and many countries in the un.

I can assure you nevada certainly has a 72 hour hold. I am glad i am not seeing her any longer.

Leo or dr determines pt is danger to self or others. Criteria is something like homicidal/suicidal ideation, means to do so and willingness to do so.

Many people in a position to put someone on a legal 2000 will do so with only the first criteria.

The 72 hour period is an assessment period and does not meet the legal criteria of adjudicated as mentally ill or involuntarily committed for the purposes of firearms rights. After the initial assessment period the proceedings for involuntary commitment can be pursued.

Eta 2 a above covers the bit where you kiss your rights goodbye
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Obo2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top