Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2016 8:09:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a long way to drive for a tree that probably took 100 years to grow in this arid climate. In Maine there's a billion to pick from but eh also grow quickly, here not so much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like a long way to drive for a tree that probably took 100 years to grow in this arid climate. In Maine there's a billion to pick from but eh also grow quickly, here not so much.
View Quote

The BLM is taking two large Cats with a chain between them and just knocking over thousands of acres of pine and cedars  in White Pine county, the same arid climate your worried about Wolfpack cutting one down to use for Christmas.   Your concerns are misplaced.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I respectfully disagree. That's the BLM. What else would we expect from them? They have no use for you or I.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
BLM has sold Christmas tree permits for a long time. Doubt there is any adverse effects. Selective cutting, not clear or slash cutting. Just helps prevent over growth and fire hazards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The BLM is taking two large Cats with a chain between them and just knocking over thousands of acres of pine and cedars  in White Pine county, the same arid climate your worried about Wolfpack cutting one down to use for Christmas.   Your concerns are misplaced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up pinion / juniper encroachment in the West.  We need to get rid of a lot more in my opinion.  Very little nutritional value for wildlife and it turns everything into a bi-culture.  Nothing else can grow and we have a huge fire danger, which then burns down and is replaced with cheat grass...

Very vicious cycle.  

Sorry op.  Can't help with the condition there now.  I imagine there is snow.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Look up pinion / juniper encroachment in the West.  We need to get rid of a lot more in my opinion.  Very little nutritional value for wildlife and it turns everything into a bi-culture.  Nothing else can grow and we have a huge fire danger, which then burns down and is replaced with cheat grass...

Very vicious cycle.  

Sorry op.  Can't help with the condition there now.  I imagine there is snow.
View Quote

I'll have to read up on that issue, and Wolfpack, sorry for the highjack.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15404/20161203-143914-102549.jpg

We got our tree. If anyone wants a permit I've got 4 leftover. Send me a PM or email.
View Quote

And if you go where Bob did, I'll tell you where to look for me trailer keys that I lost.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a good thing you don't need a tree  now. My yard.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy crap Damascus, that's a lot of snow!
What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in Pioche.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Not too far away... I am over by Zion Np but lower elevation here
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am in Pioche.
View Quote

make that pi-snow-che

Keep that stuff up there. I was shaping some white micarta, and just the sight of that white dust in the shop was enough to make me cold ...hehe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Re: thread hijack facts

1) Pinyon pine are really slow growers, 100yrs is a young'n. Record living single-needle pine is 1250 years old. Most trees in size classes targeted by woodcutting are 200+. 500+ age classes exist in most local populations.

2) There are a gad-zillion of them in the Great Basin, and they propagate like bunnies on the 100 year timescale. They are useful and very renewable (1880's gov't botanist predicted their extinction at the hands of the charcoal producers).

3) Present-day pinyon expansion (read: increased stand density and upper/lower elevation advance) is mostly driven by a post ~1850 warmup in the region, with confounding factors including removal of nut-harvesting natives, 1865-1930s mining-related clearcutting, grazing disturbances, cheatgrass introduction, and fire ignition/fighting activities by people.

4) Previous climatic response of the species is unknown (for instance, previous warm and cool periods), not enough fine-scale evidence. Pre-settlement stand densities and small-tree upper and lower elevation density all not easily quantifiable with available data.

5) The current BLM agenda of finding expensive (contractors) and high-disturbance (high-percentage soil area contact) methods of cutting down pinyon is driven by large amounts of tax dollars shunted towards preservation of a non-endangered game bird, the sage grouse. Many examples of landscape-scale pinyon removal gardening experiments in Nevada by the BLM and USFS are not even located in decent sage grouse habitat. Previous (pre-1990's) pinyon removal efforts were done supposedly to create better graze areas, but that fell out of vogue as the land management agencies finished morphing into special-interest conservation tools.

So yeah, pinyon pine are cool, ubiquitous in their range, not going anywhere in the long run, and a great excuse to spend tax dollars on activities that would land a rancher in prison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top