Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2016 2:34:25 PM EDT
Hi guys. Anybody have the scoop on the job market in the reno area?
Specifically the manufacturing, heavy equipment area?

We have decided to  packup and leave Portland due to the insane home prices, crime , bums, drugs and attack on the 2nd ammendment.
We have narrowed it down to either Reno/Sparks or Boise ID. We can afford houses in either place and have family in both.

My biggest concern is the job market. I'm a crane operator and can run forklifts and other equipment. I've also welded with mig and stick and am pretty good at it too
If you're really serious about getting a desent job there is it difficult?

Thanks for honest opinions!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi guys. Anybody have the scoop on the job market in the reno area?
Specifically the manufacturing, heavy equipment area?

We have decided to  packup and leave Portland due to the insane home prices, crime , bums, drugs and attack on the 2nd ammendment.
We have narrowed it down to either Reno/Sparks or Boise ID. We can afford houses in either place and have family in both.

My biggest concern is the job market. I'm a crane operator and can run forklifts and other equipment. I've also welded with mig and stick and am pretty good at it too
If you're really serious about getting a desent job there is it difficult?

Thanks for honest opinions!
View Quote

Not at all.

We have a very serious skilled labor shortage.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank Josh, I appreciate!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I second Josh's comment.  A lot of people I talk to in Northern Nevada across any number of industries are looking for competent help right now.

That includes hospitality, retail, medical, trades, technology, etc.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I second Josh's comment.  A lot of people I talk to in Northern Nevada across any number of industries are looking for competent help right now.

That includes hospitality, retail, medical, trades, technology, etc.

View Quote

Thanks Rigmarole. Thats music to my ears! All signs of a good economy there!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple mines within a 2 hour drive of Reno. It's not hard to get on as equipment operators, especially being able to run cranes. That would give you a leg up. The two mines I'm talking about would start you in the low to mid 20s. I know because I worked at both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top