Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 6:41:44 PM EDT
I'm planning on moving to Reno this summer. What areas should I look at for finding a house and what areas to avoid. I heard good things about Sparks. What about North Valley? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your price range and what area will you be working in?

I live in sparks and like it very much but there are good and bad everywhere. North Valleys are priced well but definitely higher trashy factor. I was very tempted to buy up there but am happy I did not. Some people like it some do not.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at 200 - 300K price range.  I may be willing to go as high as 320K to move into a better neighborhood. I'm retired now and that is why I'm making my escape from Cali.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That is still pretty possible as long as you aren't looking for a really big house. I would be happy to pass along the info for my realtor. Pretty easy going guy and did a good job helping me out.

I am happy with Sparks. I am on the east side of it which is real close to the highway which is nice. In the northern part of Sparks is a area called Spanish Springs which is newer nicer housing and if you are looking for houses with bigger garages and or RV parking it is a lot more common up there. The only reason I didn't buy up there was most of it is HOA. Kind of regretting it now because I want a RV
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is still pretty possible as long as you aren't looking for a really big house. I would be happy to pass along the info for my realtor. Pretty easy going guy and did a good job helping me out.

I am happy with Sparks. I am on the east side of it which is real close to the highway which is nice. In the northern part of Sparks is a area called Spanish Springs which is newer nicer housing and if you are looking for houses with bigger garages and or RV parking it is a lot more common up there. The only reason I didn't buy up there was most of it is HOA. Kind of regretting it now because I want a RV
View Quote

I'll second Spanish springs.  We had a house there that was just inside the city limits, had RV parking and no HOA.  I'm not sure why it didn't but it didn't.  Our house was on Vidette Meadows dr in sparks.  that neighborhood should have some options for you and is 5 minutes from anything you will need on a daily basis.  There is also walking trails through the whole area and only 20 minutes from the county range (or go behind walmart into the hills in 5 minutes like many others do)

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If you aren't retired and must work a 8-5 job, North Valleys and Spanish Springs will come with a toxic traffic at rush hour.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you aren't retired and must work a 8-5 job, North Valleys and Spanish Springs will come with a toxic traffic at rush hour.
View Quote

Depends on which area of Spanish Springs. I was up pyramid north of eagle canyon and it wasn't too bad unless some jackass wrecked in the winter. North end of Vista is a lot worse from what I here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
North valleys and north of Los Altos off Vista andSpanish Springs are all comparable. The north valleys has only the highway in and out so when there is a crash you're stuck. Vista is 45 mph zone the whole way and rarely an accident. Spanish springs has pyramid and mccarran which is being upgraded currently. With that price range you could live pretty much anwhere including Damonte Ranch, midtown, northwest Reno and sparks.  I wouldn't move to the north valleys because of the highway being the only way in and it stops traffic eat the GSR about once a month. Depending how often you'll go downtown sparks, Damonte ranch, and northwest Reno could be appealing.  Avoid Oddie Blvd, Victorian square and clear acre/sun valley even the far north part.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've lived downtown and the old southwest for about 15 years. I love it downtown but it definitely is probably not for everybody. Old SW and the Newlands are great neighborhoods where you can get the best of both worlds, walking distance to downtown, midtown and the river but great, established old neighborhoods with lots of character.

Both those neighborhoods however can be tough to get into as people tend not to leave, but you should be able to find something in your budget.

Otherwise I'd check out Galena, Windy Hill or if you want be closer in somewhere in the west Moana/Plumb-Skyline area. One good thing about Reno is everything for the most part is pretty close, and while it has bad areas, you'll generally know it when you see it.

Welcome to the biggest little city, it's quirky and unique, people and lifestyle are great, you're going to love it here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Spanish Springs has some decent homes for sell there. Pyramid Way (Rt 445) seems to be the main thoroughfare to Spanish Springs. Does this see much accidents that will cause traffic flow slowdown? Vista Blvd and Sparks Blvd seems to be alternative routes to/from Spanish Springs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spanish Springs has some decent homes for sell there. Pyramid Way (Rt 445) seems to be the main thoroughfare to Spanish Springs. Does this see much accidents that will cause traffic flow slowdown? Vista Blvd and Sparks Blvd seems to be alternative routes to/from Spanish Springs.
View Quote

It was never a big problem for me. If you have ever lived in a big city the traffic here is laughable to begin with. Winter is a little worse of course but still never that bad.

They are doing a ton of construction on a big intersection now so hopefully it will get a little better. Don't think I was ever late to work or anything because of it but it's been a while since I kept normal hours
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like Alaska said it just depends but it can be busy. You just plan for it. Vista has a school zone you'll need to plan for as does Sparks Blvd.  I moved from Lost Altos and Vista to South Reno because I commute to Carson City. Most people driving pyramid are doing 50 average speed because the speed changes three times. North valleys has 395 which is comparable to Pyramid highway. One way in, one way out kind of thing to me. Usually not a problem with Pyramid and they'll be done with Pyramid and Mccarran in a few years which is supposed to create a dedicated right hand turn lane to alleviate traffic. Merging onto 80 West sucks from pyramid because everyone wants to do 50 then move over one lane while others are trying to get off the freeway at Rock or move over to get onto 395.  Not a big deal unless you hate entering the freeway 15 mph below the speed limit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Retired, and with that budget, you might want to look into a place with some property out Red Rock or Palomino Valley. I'm in Palomino Valley, having your own range off the porch is a nice perk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top