Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2016 7:42:48 PM EDT
My wife and I are putting ducks in a row to relocate to the Vegas and/or surrounding area. House hunting yields lots of results, but NeighborhoodScout is showing some really skewed data for areas that are literally like right next to each other...  So that being said, what areas do the locals suggest looking at? Which ones to avoid?  I realize that coming from one of the safest cities in the country to a big city like Vegas is going to be a bit of a shock, but that's kind of what we're looking for so it's OK

I've spent a lot of time on the Strip and Freemont, but have literally no experience outside of that area.

ETA: Guess I should add we're looking at single family/detached homes, with a yard. 2 car garage, 3bd, 2ba, 200-300k range... if that influences neighborhood selection at all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boulder City or Overton...the rest of Clark is a Section 8 dump.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Overton is a bit far, but Boulder City looks pretty nice.

Are Henderson and Summerlin not any good anymore? I've heard those two brought up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recomend holding off a little bit before purchasing a house. Rent in a couple areas first and see where you like.

I do like boulder city but they have a residency cap or some such nonsense and it is a little drive to all the conveniences of town. I live in henderson and am pretty happy here. The "skewed" data you are looking at is probably pretty accurate there are many areas here where there will be an old rundown neighborhood right next to a new construction neighborhood with high end houses.

Summerlin is ok so is the anthem area.

Again come check it out before you settle in get a feel for the restaurants and stores in the area as well as the neighbirs. Some peo0le are happy as a clam in summerlin some hate it
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
henderson, anthem, seven hills...   very nice and opposite side of town from old bad areas.  summerlin is niceish but adjacent to bad areas
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Northwest.  Centennial Hills area is nice.  Make sure to stay West of Decatur Blvd and North of the 215 Loop.  I'm at Grand Teton and Rainbow.  Absolutely love this area.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, definitely rent first. You'll get a handle on things quickly enough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Alamo, caliente
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are Henderson and Summerlin not any good anymore? I've heard those two brought up quite a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a 4th generation Las Vegan and you couldn't pay me to live in Boulder City.  Generally speaking strange and unaccepting people who think they are better than anyone else.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll take strange and unaccepting to the armed welfare rats who are kicking in doors to get their "redistribution".....

http://www.ktnv.com/news/home-invasion-near-desert-inn-and-ft-apache

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a 4th generation Las Vegan and you couldn't pay me to live in Boulder City.  Generally speaking strange and unaccepting people who think they are better than anyone else.  

I'll take strange and unaccepting to the armed welfare rats who are kicking in doors to get their "redistribution".....

http://www.ktnv.com/news/home-invasion-near-desert-inn-and-ft-apache

I respect that.  I'd rather live around decent people in a pretty damn safe neighborhood than live in a place I don't like for fear of a random act of violence that can happen anywhere any time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Boulder City the town. But your assessment of its people is spot on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Northwest.  Centennial Hills area is nice.  Make sure to stay West of Decatur Blvd and North of the 215 Loop.  I'm at Grand Teton and Rainbow.  Absolutely love this area.
View Quote

This.  I'm in silverstone ranch, and it is *very* quiet.

note: Not sure what property in your current area is like, but I moved here from FL, where lots are measured in acres.  Relatively speaking, there are no sizable yards here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Another crappy small town full of corruption.  The latest bit with Mary Jo Frazier is all too typical, and now that the CLEO  William Conger has resigned and slithered away after the cover up?  

Hope they finish the bypass quickly so I can drive around that shithole on my way to AZ.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Spent all day today looking at houses. Aliante, Providence, some new development with parnee homes, and some things south of Craig (NOPE) and west of Decatur  (2x NOPE)

Kinda bummed. Didn't find anything that really got me spooled up and excited. It seems you spend over 350k and get into a cookie cutter or under 300 gets you an exciting ghetto.

Will head down again in another week to check again but damn, the market changed a lot since 2007.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Spent all day today looking at houses. Aliante, Providence, some new development with parnee homes, and some things south of Craig (NOPE) and west of Decatur  (2x NOPE)

Kinda bummed. Didn't find anything that really got me spooled up and excited. It seems you spend over 350k and get into a cookie cutter or under 300 gets you an exciting ghetto.

Will head down again in another week to check again but damn, the market changed a lot since 2007.
View Quote

Housing prices are still down substantially from 2007. I cant believe you aren't finding any decent 3 bed 2 ba homes if you are up in that price range, i guess you are probably looking at substantially more square footage than my humble abode. And yeah this whole city is cookie cutter stucco
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
..... I realize that coming from one of the safest cities in the country to a big city like Vegas is going to be a bit of a shock....
View Quote

henderson, on this list, is the 5th safest city in america with a population over 200k.

http://lawstreetmedia.com/crime-america-2015-top-10-safest-cities-200000/
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Green Valley Parkway and Eastern south of St. Rose is nicer than most of the rest.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
My friend just bought a house on Horizon Ridge past th national guard armory. Nice house tucked into the hills.
Far away from the dregs of Henderson.

The area off College and Mission in Henderson is nice.

I live near Green Valley and Pebble the price range goes any where from 175 thousand to million dollar homes.
Henderson is nice you just have to find the area you like.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Im still in CA at the moment but really close to moving in with my buddy who bought a nice 2 floor 4 bed 2 head house off Craig, near the 95. Its in a gated community that did have section 8 dirtbags but my buddy told me they got kicked out back in November. Overall its a decent area from what I observed, Lowes, Walmart Neighborhood Market are nearby and Clark County Range, New Frontier Arms and Spartan Arms are short drive away. Just stay away from North Vegas if possible, especially Eastern Ave.

Although I feel pretty safe when I stay at my friend's house, he does have a security system installed and we are always armed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#24]
We found a bunch of houses in Henderson we're going to check out.  Hopefully we find something.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Im still in CA at the moment but really close to moving in with my buddy who bought a nice 2 floor 4 bed 2 head house off Craig, near the 95. Its in a gated community that did have section 8 dirtbags but my buddy told me they got kicked out back in November. Overall its a decent area from what I observed, Lowes, Walmart Neighborhood Market are nearby and Clark County Range, New Frontier Arms and Spartan Arms are short drive away. Just stay away from North Vegas if possible, especially Eastern Ave.

Although I feel pretty safe when I stay at my friend's house, he does have a security system installed and we are always armed.
View Quote

I just left really close to there. There's decent stuff around there but my friends said I lived in the hood
Still it's better than most of the valley, but most of the valley  is crap.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol my friend says the areas around Jones south of Craig is the hood too. I'll still take it over fucking CA any day!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We found a bunch of houses in Henderson we're going to check out.  Hopefully we find something.
View Quote

Im in henderson, there are a lot of nice areas. Don't be scared of some of the older constructions. A lot of the time thats the best way to get a decent square footage ranch style with any kind of yard. The bones hold up well and we dont have much of any problems with rot and the like in the desert. It's easy enough to do a little remodeling if you find a decent neighborhood and a layout that will work. I would try looking around the arroyo grande sports complex and pittman wash(it's worth taking a little walk around these and railroad lake.) Lots of convienient stuff in the area, neighborhoods have matured a bit, homes are old enough to still have yards but not ancient.

You will never find the perfect area here. There is a shit little hood within a stones throw or two everywhere. I'm just off boulder highway by sam boyd stadium. A lot of people would say it is a shit neighborhood and if i go to the corner store anytime near when central christian church is offering help to the homeless you will see some characters but i haven't had any trouble in 10 years and i am in walking distance of the wetlands park/endless desert, bike trails, an archery range and all the fields and events by the stadium.

I carry everywhere and even spending a lot of time out after the witching hour i haven't even come close to feeling like i needed to be carrying. Ok i lie, there have been a couple coyotes at 2am in the middle of the desert.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Im in henderson, there are a lot of nice areas. Don't be scared of some of the older constructions. A lot of the time thats the best way to get a decent square footage ranch style with any kind of yard. The bones hold up well and we dont have much of any problems with rot and the like in the desert. It's easy enough to do a little remodeling if you find a decent neighborhood and a layout that will work. I would try looking around the arroyo grande sports complex and pittman wash(it's worth taking a little walk around these and railroad lake.) Lots of convienient stuff in the area, neighborhoods have matured a bit, homes are old enough to still have yards but not ancient.

You will never find the perfect area here. There is a shit little hood within a stones throw or two everywhere. I'm just off boulder highway by sam boyd stadium. A lot of people would say it is a shit neighborhood and if i go to the corner store anytime near when central christian church is offering help to the homeless you will see some characters but i haven't had any trouble in 10 years and i am in walking distance of the wetlands park/endless desert, bike trails, an archery range and all the fields and events by the stadium.

I carry everywhere and even spending a lot of time out after the witching hour i haven't even come close to feeling like i needed to be carrying. Ok i lie, there have been a couple coyotes at 2am in the middle of the desert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checking on Crimemapping.com has alleviated a lot of my concerns. There are definitely 'hoods, but lots of the places I am looking have several months where nothing or very little is reported.  

I'm looking at houses built in the late 90's at the oldest, but most constructions I've seen on the MLS listings that have the specs I want are 15 years old at the latest. If I find a good old house though, I'd go for it.  We've got another 15 houses we'll be checking out, a lot of which are in Henderson, when we come down on Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I was in mountains edge for a couple years.  Started seeing a lot of crime in that area.  Was getting 2-3 alerts for burglaries every day for a while.  Moved to Southern Highlands last spring.  Rare to see any crime alerts pop up within a mile.  

Decent area actually,  might want to take a look at it.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Alamo, caliente
View Quote

Pioche over Calinete.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I moved to Vegas about three years ago from the SF Bay.  It has been great here and we have great shooting ranges and gun stores everywhere !  If you are looking for a "value" priced community with large yards (very uncommon here ) look at the Palm Gardens HOA near Tropicana and Steptoe.  The surrounding  subdivisions in the area are also a patchwork of ok and not so OK areas.  It is right near the wetlands park great for cycling and hiking.  The thing with Vegas is you need to belong to and put up with the HOA crap if you wish to maintain some modicum of property values,  When there is no HOA there is tendency to to have home occupants that think it is OK to not take care of their homes and leave cars up blocks in the driveway.  That brings all neighboring properties down.

The HOA is fenced and guarded and they do a good job there have been few issues here.  Homes are going for 190K to 220K with three car garage and pool.  Built in the mid 90's

I am very glad to get out of Kalifornia !!!!

Mark

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Think we found the one. Henderson area. Putting in an offer soon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Officially made an offer tonight. Fingers crossed. Ended up looking at an older home in Henderson, as recommended, in an area without HOA but great schools, nonexistent crime, close to the freeway... Seems like a winner.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#35]
It's official. First week of April we'll be moving in.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's official. First week of April we'll be moving in.
View Quote

Congrats and welcome to the thunderdome
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats.  Make sure to register to vote.  Need to counteract all the liberal Californians that have moved here and are trying to turn us into that same kind of cesspool.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Congrats.  Make sure to register to vote.  Need to counteract all the liberal Californians that have moved here and are trying to turn us into that same kind of cesspool.  
View Quote

You bet.  It looks like Clark is really the only one that seems to swing blue, which is a shame, since I've yet to actually meet a liberal that lives here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You bet.  It looks like Clark is really the only one that seems to swing blue, which is a shame, since I've yet to actually meet a liberal that lives here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty suspicious of the presidential elections here in 12 clark went for both obama and joe heck... Now that could mean democrats only voted for the president but it still strikes me as odd
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Welcome to Vegas. My $.02 is that every neighborhood is what you make of it.  I live in an area that many might warn you away from, and I love it. Raised 5 great kids here, know my neighbors, hang out at the park, etc.

I have friends in high dollar gated areas that don't feel safe. Follow the standard common sense. Meet your neighbors, pay attention to what is happening around you, and enjoy the shooting community. It's a great place.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#41]
We're all settled in, and loving it so far! The people we've met are great -- our neighbors are AWESOME.  Quiet, clean, great food and great beer, we're happy we did it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We're all settled in, and loving it so far! The people we've met are great -- our neighbors are AWESOME.  Quiet, clean, great food and great beer, we're happy we did it.
View Quote

welcome.  i live by anthem park.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been in Seven Hills for 15 years.  I love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top