Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2015 11:15:41 AM EDT
Every now and then I browse the Internet for land deals. I often come across land which I imagine is the cheapest you can find in the US right in Nevada. Of course it's nowhere near anything really- or so I imagine. For example, one square mile of land (640 acres) could be had for under $80,000 in Pershing County. Does anyone else view this as a long term investment? Is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No water.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No water.
View Quote

A well isn't possible in those locations?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...or electric without going solar. When I was in my late 20's I went on a land hunt. I had always lived on a postage stamp in a city and wanted to have a few acres to play with. I bought 5 acres in Rachel and have found one thing I never expected. It is damn near impossible to get anyone to do any work in rural areas. I have damn near had to beg people to take my $100 bills to do simple digging  with a backhoe. The well took forever to find someone competent and the septic too. Rachel has electric so that was one worry I didn't have to have. Everything when owning a big piece of land is expensive...it cost me damn near $1500 to just barb wire 5 acres with a gate...I wouldn't even wanna think what your talking about would cost...it would be out of my range. If I had to do it again I'd probably buy property with everything done...well...septic...electric...fenced but I will admit that's the 46yo me talking...it has been fun going from a piece of bare land to having someplace that is a get away from the city on weekends

Sorry for the run on paragraph...I'm on my phone

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I can sympathize with you. When we first moved to our little 4 acre plot and had to get work done that I didn't have the equipment to do, it was literally like pulling teeth. I would call maybe fifteen people. Three would return my call and one would actually come out to the house- if I was lucky. I've learned to network myself as much as possible and to use friends of friends since they're most reliable and willing to help.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a few acres up on Mt. Charleston and getting people to do work up there is a pain in the ass. I couldn't imagine how tough it'd be out in the middle of no where.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
It's cheap for suckers. Look at Rye Patch and Golconda those properties we8 sold as primed real estate and look at how many people live there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

More info please? Did you buy or inherent it? Is there anything on it like a well?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a few acres up on Mt. Charleston and getting people to do work up there is a pain in the ass. I couldn't imagine how tough it'd be out in the middle of no where.

More info please? Did you buy or inherent it? Is there anything on it like a well?

I have about two and a half acres about 1/2 way up Kyle Canyon Road off Scottie Ave.  It has power, a well, and an 1800 square foot manufactured home on it. It does have some improvements like corrals etc. We bought the place as a foreclosure a few years ago with the intent of maybe building a house up there but I doubt we will wind up doing that. We just rent the house out now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Accessibility is the other issue.  Friend's husband has property from his grandpa.  Takes some off-roading to get to it.  

Also, even a section of land doesn't do much here.  Will be challenging to get a permit for an ag well, especially in PeCo.  Takes a lot of acreage to support stock, without supplemental feed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not to mention a section of land being landlocked with no county easements....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accessibility is the other issue.  Friend's husband has property from his grandpa.  Takes some off-roading to get to it.  

From the description of many of the allotments for sale, the perimeter of each property is noted as an easement, essentially the early beginning of a county road.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From the description of many of the allotments for sale, the perimeter of each property is noted as an easement, essentially the early beginning of a county road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In most of those properties the closest thing to a road is likely to be a cow trail, or a game trail.

On the plus side, property taxes are low.  Very low.

I suppose it all hinges on what you intend to do with the property.

Pershing County talks pro-growth, their actions don't always match up.  Oh, and do your research on the county itself.  They do tend to be fiscally responsible, but the commissioners are tightwads and there are a lot of roads that are not county maintained.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I went up to my house on the mountain  over the weekend and some a-hole stole the propane tank. Another hazard of rural living.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went up to my house on the mountain  over the weekend and some a-hole stole the propane tank. Another hazard of rural living.
View Quote

That is one factor holding me back from a second home/vacation home. Too many people feel entitled to things that aren't theirs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is one factor holding me back from a second home/vacation home. Too many people feel entitled to things that aren't theirs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you live an hour or so from a city with 2 million people you might get some random thieves.  If you lived in Austin you might get more hunters/off roaders looking for directions or advice about where critters are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top