Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2015 3:22:34 AM EDT
If I buy a car from a individual in Cali (or any other state) will I have to pay tax anywhere along the way?  

Looking hard at cars and there is a good chance I will ending getting one in cali.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No tax on private party sales.  From in state, or out of state.

http://www.dmvnv.com/nvregreq.htm

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you get the pink slip/title signed off from the seller or bank (if there was a loan on the car) and not just a bill of sale with an "Electronic Lien and Titling" release. NV only accepts the normal pink slip/title. CA will let you turn the "ELT" into a normal title, but you will pay CA sales tax and a fee to do so.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you get the pink slip/title signed off from the seller or bank (if there was a loan on the car) and not just a bill of sale with an "Electronic Lien and Titling" release. NV only accepts the normal pink slip/title. CA will let you turn the "ELT" into a normal title, but you will pay CA sales tax and a fee to do so.
View Quote

Ok. What happens if they still owe? I've never tried to buy a car that's still being financed but the ones I am looking at now are new enough I might run into it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok. What happens if they still owe? I've never tried to buy a car that's still being financed but the ones I am looking at now are new enough I might run into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most financial institutions prefer "ELT", but they can still do it the old paper way. It may take them some time to get the actual paper title that you need so don't automatically expect to walk out the bank door with the pink slip/title just because you paid off the loan in cash. If you let them know what you need up front, I'm sure you can get it eventually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top