Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2015 11:14:56 AM EDT
Knife Rights' Nevada Comprehensive Knife Law Reform Bill, SB 176, appears to be stalled in the Assembly Judiciary Committee after easily passing in the Senate. For some reason Judiciary Committee Ira Chairman Hansen has not called for a vote on SB176 despite the bill being heard with no opposition in his committee two weeks ago. It s time for a vote on SB176 and Chairman Hansen needs to hear from you ASAP!

If you live work or travel to Nevada (for instance to SHOT Show, USN Gathering, etc.) we need you CALL and EMAIL Judiciary Chairman Ira Hansen and politely request that he "please bring up SB 176 for a vote of the committee." That's it, keep it short and to the point.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 775-684-8851
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wrote him:

Dear Assemblyman Hansen:

I am one of your constituents and am troubled about the following Bill not being heard in the Assembly:
SB 176

This is a comprehensive knife reform law that would eliminate onerous and draconian provisions of Nevada's dangerous weapons laws pertaining to pocket knives. It passed in the Senate and I urge its passage in the Assembly.

In the 1950s,and 1960s legislation swept the United States outlawing knives that could be opened with the click of a button. These knives are sometimes referred to as switch blades or automatic knives and the reason was a moral panic with regard to movies such as West Side Story, 12 Angry Men, Blackboard Jungle and the like.

Opening the knife with a click of a button makes it no more dangerous than any other type of knife and is mostly a matter of convenience. I was given a UDT Black Knife while serving in the USMC and after serving with me on deployments and in several years of ranch work as a civilian it was confiscated from me many years ago, being little more than a pocket knife that opened with the click of a button.

The modern automatic knife is a true work of art and these laws keep businesses and tourists from our state.

It is perfectly legal for me to leave my home and carry a Glock 19 pistol and a silencer concealed if I chose to do so, but a felony if I have a 3" automatic knife in my possession.

I urge you to bring this commonsense law to a vote and return a part of the second amendment which has been wrongfully infringed upon by misguided legislation from over a generation ago.

I am affiliated with no businesses that make this type of knife, but am a writer for the gun, knife and outdoor magazines. Over 40 states have repealed this type of misguided legislation, do we want to be lumped in with the liberal nanny states of NY, NJ, CA, MA and Ill or be a model of freedom for the rest of America?

Thank you.

Mike Searson
Author and Screenwriter at The Old West Sportswriter's Guild
Semper Fi!
www.mikesearson.com

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent an email, and am passing it around. Hopefully I'm not too late to the party.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Submitted a comment.

Also sent a chastising email to the R state party this afternoon regards the missing bill hearings and likely response of conservative Nevadans.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent an email as well from my VFD account.  An auto knife is a tool for me more than anything, but I agree whole heartedly with the letter you sent and used it as the basis of mine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Sent
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:20:17 AM EDT
[#6]
It's being heard in the Assembly Judiciary Committee tomorrow at 0900

I'm going to be there!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Great news, thanks Mike!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm going to be there!
View Quote

How did it go?
Serious hearing or just going through the motions?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How did it go?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to be there!

How did it go?

Passed unanimously and sent to Assembly, I didn't even need to speak.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
so how much more does it have to survive
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Now it gets voted on by the full Assembly.
If it passes, it goes on to the Governor for signing.

If it fails to pass the Assembly or he vetoes it, we'll try again in 2 years with a democratic legislature/govenor if necessary
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it fails to pass the Assembly or he vetoes it, we'll try again in 2 years with a democratic legislature/govenor if necessary
View Quote

My greatest fear is that Sandoval continues in full RINO mode and guarantees a Dem takeover at the next election.
The R's need to keep their promises and faith with their platform.
The means supporting our RKBA, no new tax hikes, and smaller not bigger government, for just a few examples.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My greatest fear is that Sandoval continues in full RINO mode and guarantees a Dem takeover at the next election.
The means supporting our RKBA, no new tax hikes, and smaller not bigger government, for just a few examples.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...the R's have greatly disappointed me this year.
We were not asking for anything monumental and a few good bills died already.

Brower needs to go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I emailed Brower today telling him to put AB 148 to a vote so we can put to rest the whole "guns on campus" issue and hid it doesn't have the votes to pass we should finally get the answer. I didn't use those exact words.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top