BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2015 5:54:26 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
They have some at the Chevron in the 'Mucc too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
None in Lincoln County, lol.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excuse my green ignorance but what is that? Charging station? I've been through Lovelock and it didn't seem like the place you would see one Tesla...much less 3....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I think they are charging stations.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Charging station. One at the Shiloh inn in elko as well.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see a card reader...pay inside? Or is electricity free once you buy a tesla
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm wondering if these will be money well spent or wasted.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:20:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see a card reader...pay inside? Or is electricity free once you buy a tesla
View Quote

There is an E-ZPass-type of recognition in the vehicles.

At least that's what I've been told.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I think they are charging stations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excuse my green ignorance but what is that? Charging station? I've been through Lovelock and it didn't seem like the place you would see one Tesla...much less 3....

Tesla has been trying to build its network so it's customers can drive farther from the big cities. They can go coast to coast now but the route is very indirect. My guess is they paid whoever to put these in so they can advertise broader charger coverage.

Cracks me up. If nothing else I hope all these electric car guys standardize the charging systems.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
State needs to put a kilowatt tax on them instead of increasing the gas tax.
F'Tesla!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
State needs to put a kilowatt tax on them instead of increasing the gas tax.
F'Tesla!
View Quote

Oh I'm sure it's coming. As electric cars get more popular the politicians will find a way to milk them for all they're worth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
They can start by simply ending the buyers and manufacturers subsidies they are taking from our pockets.

Since the Tesla's are more of a computer system on wheels than a car anyway taxing them by weight and mileage in place of the fuel tax should be simple.

I'm pretty certain that if electrics ever had to compete on a level playing field they could not survive any better now than they did decades ago.
Gasoline rules for many reasons and even the subsidies cannot overcome that basic fact.
If they did, everyone would be buying electrics.

F'Tesla!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't be surprised to see a tesla or two driving through Lovelock because of the investors going to gold mines. As soon as they find out they can drive to lovelock from their home office and charge their Tesla in town while driving s work truck to the mines I can see more and more in town.

Some cities with them are battling old v new cars charging. Older cars take longer to charge. It is similar to the gas tax vs mileage tax for people who don't have electric cars and don't drive much. Why pay more than someone with an electric car that drives 60k miles a year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
They have 5 stations at the Chili's Restaurant in Lenwood, west of Barstow. I have seen them go into the restauant eat and then come out. They get in the car and sit for about 1/2 or more waiting for the full charge.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That computer on wheels does 12...some times 11 second quarter mile runs.

It's a badass car. You can keep the Leaf and the Volt.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/videos/a24794/video-tesla-destroys-challenger-hellcat-sets-drag-strip-world-record

View Quote

Color me NOT impressed!
11 sec. 1/4, but probably unable to drive to So. Tahoe and back from Reno in winter while having heat without a long recharge in Tahoe.
Actual range has been demonstrated to be significantly less than claimed particularly once the batteries have been cycled for a couple of years.
Google "Tesla Bricking" for amusement at Tesla owners expense.
I "Recharge" my gas tank in less than ten minutes, I can run the heater in winter while driving up steep mountain roads with the radio on.
I can add a second gas tank and make it to LV from home without stopping, no way to add extra range to a Testy without a long wait.

F'Tesla!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#17]
That is cool you can do all that, but you are killing the planet at the same time. Electricity makes the vehicle a clean vehicle and helps prevent the pollution you are promoting.

It is nice out today. My tree needs a hug. It will make them feel better after seeing all the pollution your truck just left by my house.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is cool you can do all that, but you are killing the planet at the same time. Electricity makes the vehicle a clean vehicle and helps prevent the pollution you are promoting.

It is nice out today. My tree needs a hug. It will make them feel better after seeing all the pollution your truck just left by my house.
View Quote

Yah, I'm a real Earth plunderer, electricity and the infrastructure to support Testes cost nothing and has no effect on the environment at all.
No caustic chemicals are produced in making batteries, plastics, copper, lithium, etc.
Oh wait, plastic is made from oil, copper and other items are mined, so the Testes are actually made from oil and strip mining, ah well just ignore all that as inconvenient facts.

Wish I could get a fun practical car that runs on the blood of birds ("Renewable energy" = Wind power) and Chinese sweat-shop labor (Solar panels) with other people made to pay for it! (Subsidies).

Seriously, if Elon Musk were not a deranged zealot I would not care at all about his products.
But when he stated that it is his goal to eliminate the Internal Combustion Engine from the planet I took that as a declaration of war.
Then the Gov. Org. chimed in with their propaganda machine and subsidies to cram it down our throats.
Now even the Nevada legislature has joined in on the "Green" Tesla circle-jerk while demanding another record tax increase from everyone, except Tesla!

F'Tesla!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
On top of that Richard, the electricity for these greeny-mobiles comes primarily from sources other than "renewable".  From the U.S Energy Information Administration it appears these supposed non-polluting cars are really not exactly that:

Major energy sources and percent share of total U.S. electricity generation in 2014:
• Coal = 39%
• Natural gas = 27%
• Nuclear = 19%
• Hydropower = 6%
• Other renewables = 7% • Biomass = 1.7%
• Geothermal = 0.4%
• Solar = 0.4%
• Wind = 4.4%

• Petroleum = 1%
• Other gases < 1%
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This car will not do an 11 second 1/4 mile....possibly 11 minutes...if going downhill...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/04/17/chinese-electric-cars-hit-chicagos-streets-with-uber/?intcmp=features

View Quote

Anyone foolish enough to risk their lives in a Chinese built car deserves what they get.
I found this line interesteing, " Its next effort will be to work with Green Wheels USA to increase the number of charging stations available".
So it seems that unlike gasoline each type of electric needs a different charging station, Testes, Leaf, Chinese, etc.
Infrastructure that has to be duplicated several times over is doomed unless the Fed. step in with our money to fund it all.
Like I want to have to pay for several competing systems nationwide.

The statement that gas powered vehicles are "Over" is laughable wishful thinking.
It's illuminating that the EV crowd is so desperate to destroy the ICE in order to assure themselves market $hare.
So much for honest competition and let the most popular product win.
EV's were popular once before, until the ICE made them obsolete.
The new EV's are not really significantly better and can only take over if Gov. Org. screws the populace more directly than they are doing now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I took my 72 F100 ( 390 , 4 bll , C6) out this morning....screw the hippie electric oversized golf carts :)
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#23]
There's one in Winnemucca as well
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Spent all day reorganizing my workshop full of "Obsolete" gas burners.
About to pull the 350 engine from the El Camino for a rebuild.
It's got a lot of cam so I've always wondered how high it would wind.
Answer turns out to be 7000 rpm before it falls flat.
Nothing broke when I held it there long enough to test it so whoever built it last time did a decent job.
Thinking of putting in just a bit "More" this time, cam and compression, aluminum heads I already have.

Also putting an Alfa Romeo Spider and Triumph Spitfire back on the road.
Then in another couple of years I will try to get the rest of my gas burners going.
This is not a cheap hobby and it supports several thousands of jobs nationally.
Testes supports a few hundred.
I can guarantee you that I will NEVER so much as sit in a Testes, much less buy one.
F'Tesla!

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Spent all day reorganizing my workshop full of "Obsolete" gas burners.
About to pull the 350 engine from the El Camino for a rebuild.
It's got a lot of cam so I've always wondered how high it would wind.
Answer turns out to be 7000 rpm before it falls flat.
Nothing broke when I held it there long enough to test it so whoever built it last time did a decent job.
Thinking of putting in just a bit "More" this time, cam and compression, aluminum heads I already have.

Also putting an Alfa Romeo Spider and Triumph Spitfire back on the road.
Then in another couple of years I will try to get the rest of my gas burners going.
This is not a cheap hobby and it supports several thousands of jobs nationally.
Testes supports a few hundred.
I can guarantee you that I will NEVER so much as sit in a Testes, much less buy one.
F'Tesla!

View Quote

I for one belive you
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh you say a tesla is bricked when the batteries are run down 100%? Tell e more about how your blown motor doesn't make your car useless. I guess building cars in Mexico and Canada is totally better than Asia. Such better labor laws since it's still built in America.

Quoted:

Anyone foolish enough to risk their lives in a Chinese built car deserves what they get.
I found this line interesteing, " Its next effort will be to work with Green Wheels USA to increase the number of charging stations available".
So it seems that unlike gasoline each type of electric needs a different charging station, Testes, Leaf, Chinese, etc.
Infrastructure that has to be duplicated several times over is doomed unless the Fed. step in with our money to fund it all.

The statement that gas powered vehicles are "Over" is laughable wishful thinking.
It's illuminating that the EV crowd is so desperate to destroy the ICE in order to assure themselves market $hare.
The new EV's are not really significantly better and can only take over if Gov. Org. screws the populace more directly than they are doing now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This car will not do an 11 second 1/4 mile....possibly 11 minutes...if going downhill...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/04/17/chinese-electric-cars-hit-chicagos-streets-with-uber/?intcmp=features

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh you say a tesla is bricked when the batteries are run down 100%? Tell e more about how your blown motor doesn't make your car useless. I guess building cars in Mexico and Canada is totally better than Asia. Such better labor laws since it's still built in America.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tesla a Brick?
Hell yes, but don't just take my word for it. (Tesla ADMITS it, but tries to play it off as a minor issue!)
http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem
There are other sources if you look.

$32K - $40K to replace just the battery pack!
My 350 is not "Blown", just tired, I can still drive the car but it will smoke a little at high RPM.
A NEW replacement hot-rod engine can be bought for around $3K, an Oh My God This Is Crazy street race engine with all the goodies is around $10K -$14K
For the cost of a single Testes battery pack I could completely restore at least two of my gas powered cars.

FYI, I've not only suffered the disappointment of Chinese lack of quality via all the crap products they now make which get sold as American brand names, I've also been to the orient on business several times.
I know first hand that their culture does not view honesty or integrity the same way we do.
I am sure that the cars they built for crash testing will be the exception, not the standard.
Their default mode of operation is to build samples carefully and to specification, then cut every possible corner once the contract is signed.
You might want to remember all the people and pets they killed fairly recently via this philosophy thanks to chemically altered milk and contaminated dog biscuits.

Buy all the Chinese made cars you want, just don't be surprised when pieces start falling off so fast it makes an old Tatra look like a Rolls-Royce.

As to Mexico and Canada, they have both been building "U.S." cars for decades.
Without looking at the VIN plate you would never know it, the cars are just as good or bad as actual U.S. made.
Canadians and Mexicans at least share our basic cultural ethic, the Chinese do not, and screw us without hesitation or remorse at every opportunity.
It's not the lack of labor laws that make their products inferior, it's the cultural ethic.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
There are some in Elko, Iv never seen a single vehicle parked at them......ever.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are some in Elko, Iv never seen a single vehicle parked at them......ever.
View Quote

Not too surprising, I don't think a Testes can make it to Elko unless it gets carried there on the back of a truck.
And then where could you go in it?
Not Reno or SLC, too far away for the batteries.
So any Testes in Elko would be nothing more than a very expensive city car, trapped by it's limited range.
Making it inferior to a "Hybrid" that cost less but can at least burn gas to get from one city to another.

Have I mentioned?
F-Tesla!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Richard...why are you so concerned what the battery packs cost? You don't own a Tesla so what difference does it make to you? If a guy wants to drop 100k on a Model S that's for him to worry about.

View Quote

Some of those guys are pretty unhappy to find that the replacement batteries are about half the price of the car.
From what I can see a used Testes will have about $0.00 resale value as soon as the battery pack reaches about three years of age.

The inference was made that my ICE cars are no better than a Testes if the engine dies.
I find that for a fair comparison of relative value replacement cost of the major drive component is an excellent measurement.
Internal Combustion Engine cars over twenty years old are getting MORE valuable, the only twenty year old Testes you will ever see will be in a museum.
Probably under the "Vehicles of the failed green fallacy" banner.

I don't really care how many folk make their own free will UNSUBSIDIZED choice to subject themselves to a Testes.
It's the SPECIAL Tax deals and SUBSIDIES supporting a product that would already have failed without them that irks me.
I don't like being pressured to embrace "Green" scams and taxed higher to support them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#32]
This discussion reminds me of the people that said similar things about the Prius batteries and nothing really came of it.

How many Teslas are out on the road? You would think we would be hearing about it more often.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#33]
My point was that your car is useless and a brick when the motor goes out on it too. Your vehicle doesn't have much resale value without a motor.  

Quoted:

Some of those guys are pretty unhappy to find that the replacement batteries are about half the price of the car.
From what I can see a used Testes will have about $0.00 resale value as soon as the battery pack reaches about three years of age.

As Alaska said, it's the same discussion about the Prius or any other electric car. What was the really tiny one that could go like 700 miles or something according to advertising? It came before the Prius.

The inference was made that my ICE cars are no better than a Testes if the engine dies.
I find that for a fair comparison of relative value replacement cost of the major drive component is an excellent measurement.
Internal Combustion Engine cars over twenty years old are getting MORE valuable, the only twenty year old Testes you will ever see will be in a museum.

I don't really care how many folk make their own free will UNSUBSIDIZED choice to subject themselves to a Testes.
It's the SPECIAL Tax deals and SUBSIDIES supporting a product that would already have failed without them that irks me.
I don't like being pressured to embrace "Green" scams and taxed higher to support them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Richard...why are you so concerned what the battery packs cost? You don't own a Tesla so what difference does it make to you? If a guy wants to drop 100k on a Model S that's for him to worry about.

As Alaska said, it's the same discussion about the Prius or any other electric car. What was the really tiny one that could go like 700 miles or something according to advertising? It came before the Prius.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This discussion reminds me of the people that said similar things about the Prius batteries and nothing really came of it.

How many Teslas are out on the road? You would think we would be hearing about it more often.
View Quote

Saw one in G-ville today, I wonder if you can replace the battery drive with the original Lotus gasoline drivetrain?

Tesla goes to a lot of effort to keep the "Brick" issue low key.
A combination of lawyer coercion, buying off owners with special replacement battery pack pricing, and a blindly supportive media.
Read the article I posted a link to, a search will turn up more details and the "Tesla is GOD they can do no wrong" Fanboys too of course.
The fanboys are funny in the lengths they go to to defend ANYTHING Tesla does.

When the "Alternate Fuel" crowd stop being subsidized and stand or fall on their own I will have little to complain about.
So long as they demand that I pay for their products without actually owning one to prop them up they are thieves and charlatans.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:23:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Uh Oh, this guy is not drinking the Cool-Aid either!

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/04/26/the-tesla-gigafactories-are-coming-can-global-lith.aspx

After doing the math he is skeptical that Tesla is going to build and sell 500,000 cars and other devices per year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Similar to prior outlandish claims and demands.

Must be nice to be able to get Gov. Org. to suck you off in support of your PC Green fantasy.
When they compete in an honest level playing field manner I will wish them all the best, but their current fascist "Green" totalitarianism can FOAD.

Tesla sucks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#38]
More LOLZ, video shows Testes being charged via a Diesel generator.
Supposed to be a battery exchange station, but that never seems to happen.

So it seems some Testes actually run on Diesel!

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/28/friday-funny-tesla-is-apparently-recharging-emissions-free-electric-cars-with-a-diesel-generator/

F' Tesla and their phony "Green" charade.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/28/friday-funny-tesla-is-apparently-recharging-emissions-free-electric-cars-with-a-diesel-generator/

View Quote

The natural gas fired power plants have emissions from making power to supply the owners electricity in their home to charge the cars. What's the difference?  Using a mobile generator at a charge station or a stationary power plant to create electricity. Both require fossil fuels and create emissions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Just wait until the actual water needs for that plant, err"gigafactory" are exposed.

The allocation for Tesla's 1,000 acres of land is 500 acre feet of water per year. The treatment plant & storage on-site at T-R Industrial Center can handle 1,000 acre feet...

Tesla has admitted they will need as much as 2500 acre feet annually for operations.
 Of course the right politicians are already in the Tesla pocket.  Hell, if they drain the Tracey Segment Hydrographic basin , they can still go after the Truckee river - with the crooks in Carson city cupping their balls all the way.

Meanwhile, the wise latina Sandoval wants more tax money from the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The natural gas fired power plants have emissions from making power to supply the owners electricity in their home to charge the cars. What's the difference?  Using a mobile generator at a charge station or a stationary power plant to create electricity. Both require fossil fuels and create emissions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Natural gas emissions are a tiny fraction of Diesel's.
For one example, no particulate matter with NG.
Diesel is a fuel the eco-nuts despise almost as much as coal.
It appears the true value of this station is to harvest tax credits, not to actually exchange batteries or lower emissions.
Another example of the Tesla subsidies/tax scam.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It appears the true value of this station is to harvest tax credits, not to actually exchange batteries or lower emissions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These are all valid points until the technology gets to carbon fiber nanotube mass production. Then years of trial and error with these first system will prove that the future is electric and it will have most of the software and hardware bugs sorted for self driving cars. You're seeing the birth of a new era, so shhhhh.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Seems some professional investors have decided that a company that cannot turn an actual profit after ten years without Gov. Org. subsidies just might be overvalued and are now "Shorting" Tesla.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/31/elon-musks-5-billion-in-govt-subsidies-helps-make-ends-meet/
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Detailed article on 4.9 BILLION in subsidies here.
Note the bit detailing Nevada, and that the 1.3 BILLION break Tesla got is almost the exact amount of our new tax increases for everyone BUT Tesla.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html#page=2
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Tesla is at it again, or still!

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/080715-765716-tesla-push-for-tougher-fuel-economy-self-serving.htm

Pushing for insane mileage that would force a lot of folk to buy their crappy glorified golf-cart instead of the car they really want.

F-Tesla!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Buy Tesla Stock! <S>

They only lose $4,000.00 per car by their accounting, or $14,000.00 by normal accounting.

http://www.metro.us/news/tesla-loses-more-than-4-000-on-every-car-sold/zsJohi---6sBFTWRIL5igI/

Not to worry, their lobbyist are working on congress to pass laws FORCING you to buy one.
So they will become profitable when they get just a few more subsidies and little more preferential treatment not available to other car companies.

F'Tesla!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Forcing?  Traditional dealerships are having laws passed forbidding Tesla from selling cars in as many states as they can buy votes in.

As for the batteries failing if they are drained, that's no different than most motorcycle batteries.  Different cost to replace, obviously, but you just make sure they don't run down.  It ain't rocket science.

They have no interest in forcing you to buy a car; they are selling them as fast as they can make them, if no faster.

Musk has made an electric car that people who aren't 'green' want.  

Ford/chev/etc can't compete with their ugly, bug-like, under performing electrics, and their gas lineups suck; every damn thing they make is just a ford escort ripoff, or a remake from when the US automakers made interesting cars.

Most of the articles on Telsa are just slams from the traditional automotive industry and their shills.  Musk is pushing tech forward, leading the rest of the word, and by god, that's being *american* is about.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Forcing?  Traditional dealerships are having laws passed forbidding Tesla from selling cars in as many states as they can buy votes in.

As for the batteries failing if they are drained, that's no different than most motorcycle batteries.  Different cost to replace, obviously, but you just make sure they don't run down.  It ain't rocket science.

They have no interest in forcing you to buy a car; they are selling them as fast as they can make them, if no faster.

Musk has made an electric car that people who aren't 'green' want.  

Ford/chev/etc can't compete with their ugly, bug-like, under performing electrics, and their gas lineups suck; every damn thing they make is just a ford escort ripoff, or a remake from when the US automakers made interesting cars.

Most of the articles on Telsa are just slams from the traditional automotive industry and their shills.  Musk is pushing tech forward, leading the rest of the word, and by god, that's being *american* is about.
View Quote

Did you read the article?
How about the one linked above it which confirms their lobbying to put regular cars at a disadvantage?
Musk is "revising" production forecast, downward.
Not what you do when you cannot meet the popular demand.
In truth without the massive subsides they get Tesla would have been dead years ago.
F'Tesla!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#49]
"In truth without the massive subsides they get Tesla would have been dead years ago"

As opposed to, what, every other automobile manufacturer, bank, military contractor, and god knows how many other industries in the country, last few years?

.gov has been bailing out US auto manufacturers -- who manufacture outside the country -- so why shouldn't Tesla, which is making most (all?) of the vehicles here, not get a break?

Perhaps if the US gov wasn't so anti-business with highest corp tax rate (almost twice world average), on top of the every other tax/fee then can throw at a company, they'd not need to many breaks?

btw: "for an operating loss per car of about $4,000." is not same as selling them at a 4k loss --you are discounting infrastructure investment and R&D --  and the article even mentions that leasing revenue is excluded, which the article curiously doesn't mention until the very last paragraph, as opposed early when they speak of Tesla Financials.  Like I said, most articles about Tesla are somewhere between slanted and bullshit.

But hell, *anyone* on this board should know better to blindly believe media.

And your quote about the lobbying was out of context.  Find the original; it's not a case of "lobbying to put regular cars at a disadvantage" but keeping Cali gov (yes, just Cali) from changing the already-in-place requirement that 15% of cars sold are ZEV, by 2025.

Keith
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Tesla reports its finances in a different way from the Detroit automakers.
Using the generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, used by GM or Ford, Tesla's operating losses per vehicle have steadily widened to $14,758 from $3,794 in the second quarter of 2014
View Quote

But then they get into their creative accounting regards lease backs.
No matter how you add the numbers the above does NOT indicate healthy growth.

This all has a familiar ring to it, I expect that other folk would go to jail for such practices.
Tesla is constantly losing money but still gains new investors, I wonder if there is a time limit on how long they can do that?
I find their corporate welfare scheme to be the most blatant in the country.
Of course after Nevada kissed their A$$ so hard I am sure they too are now "Too big to fail".
In my view emperor Tesla has no cloths, some one needs to point that out since the regular media seems to mostly ignore anything that does not support the "Green"/PC mantra.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top