Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2014 10:07:55 PM EDT
http://thehill.com/regulation/223669-gun-control-group-wants-nevada-voters-to-settle-background-check-battle

"The group in Nevada said felons, domestic abusers and people with severe mental illness can now buy guns in the state from unlicensed sellers with no questions asked because federal law only requires background checks for gun sales at licensed dealers." (from the article)

This group should be made aware that felons, those convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (domestic abusers) or those adjudicated a mental defective or committed to a mental institution (severe mental illness) are already prohibited by federal law to knowingly possess, ship, transport or receive (and purchase) any firearm or ammunition.

On top of this, it is already unlawful for a person to sell a firearm to someone they know, or even have reasonable cause to believe, is a felon, domestic abuser or a person with severe mental illness.
The narrative that more state regulation over background checks will have a statistically significant reduction in gun related violence, is not only inherently dishonest but creates a redundant goal that is already addressed with existing federal laws.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
How about no, not even maybe, just no.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]
We really need to get an organized effort going to counter this bullshit lest we end up like Colorado.

I'm in for it if we can get it going.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.reddit.com/r/Reno/comments/2ltbos/im_working_on_a_gun_control_petition_going/

I'm working on a gun control petition going door-to-door in Reno and Sparks. Things have started to get ugly. Advice? (self.Reno)

submitted 2 days ago by rbriser

I am employed by an agency that does canvassing for campaigns all over the west coast, most of which are left wing. Our most recent assignment is door-to-door petition work in Reno and Sparks in order to get an effect on the 2016 ballot that, if passed, would require background checks for unlicensed gun sales. My agency has brought in ~200 people on buses from Seattle, Portland, and Tacoma to try to push this through before the deadline on Wednesday.

Although I am unfamiliar with the Reno area, I came here expecting a high amount of opposition in the form of slammed doors and rude refusals. Nevada is a red state and even in uber-liberal Washington this is really just part of the job. What I found strange was the fact that they couldn't just pay people in Reno to do this work. Why was our agency paying to bring people in from Washington and Oregon, 15-12 hours away?

Last night, during a 3-9pm shift, some things happened to my co-workers that have made me think that we were brought in because locals KNOW BETTER than to do liberal canvassing here. One woman was assaulted and mugged right after the sun went down in Sparks. This was only a couple of blocks from where my friend and roommate was working. The cops picked my friend up and told him to leave because they believed a group of people were riding around in a truck looking for canvassers to beat up. At least five of my co-workers were verbally assaulted or followed at night. One woman had a shotgun pulled on her at a door and was then followed by the gun-owner, who had the gun with him in his car. A black co-worker had a pistol pulled on him and put to his head at a door. I have been kicked out of neighborhoods by homeowners, mostly gated communities, screamed at, told to fuck off, and have been greeted by men behind doors holding knives defensively. I understand that no one likes to hear their doorbell ring in the middle of dinner, but we are only doing our jobs. We are not soliciting as we are not selling anything. Everything we are doing is perfectly legal within our constitutional right to free speech.

I opted out of the pm shift tonight because I legitimately fear for my safety and many others have done the same. Most of our problems came up when we started working in Sparks and, although the agency has claimed they are not sending people there anymore, I know of four people who had turf in that area this morning. Locals - what neighborhoods are considered unsafe here in Reno and Sparks? Where would you not want to find yourself alone with a gun control petition after dark? We need your help to protect ourselves while we continue to just do our jobs here. I would hate to see another person threatened or assaulted before I leave.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it legal for them to be paid by the signature?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The anti's have Bloom-Turd backing them and just screwed Washington state, so think they are now unstoppable.

It's crap, but the level of activism we brought to the legislature last year is only a starting point for what we have to do now.
I don't entirely trust NRA to organize this, they are based in DC and "Compromise" a little too often and readily for me.
So we need a NV based Org. (Or volunteer Non-Org.) to coordinate our efforts, one that will NOT take orders from NRA.

Any retired CEO's from large companies among us?
That's the sort of person we need.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The anti's have Bloom-Turd backing them and just screwed Washington state, so think they are now unstoppable.

It's crap, but the level of activism we brought to the legislature last year is only a starting point for what we have to do now.
I don't entirely trust NRA to organize this, they are based in DC and "Compromise" a little too often and readily for me.
So we need a NV based Org. (Or volunteer Non-Org.) to coordinate our efforts, one that will NOT take orders from NRA.

Any retired CEO's from large companies among us?
That's the sort of person we need.
View Quote

NVFAC?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
When I went to early vote at the Sahara Library, one of these guys was outside with a small stand collecting signatures. I went with my wife and we had our two young daughters with us so we took turns voting while the other stayed with the kids. In that time, maybe 10-15 minutes, he always had at least one if not several people there signing. This was in a nice part of town.

I am not sure how we win this fight because a vote at the polls will almost certainly favor the anti's, and maybe in a big way IMO.

Is there any way to block it from making it to the polls at this point now?

I'm not gonna let it go without a fight but I'd like to know what our options are. I'm afraid an education campaign will fail and we don't have anywhere near the money to match Bloomberg.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!
View Quote

I'm with you.

Normally I am much more optimistic about things. Elected officials can feel the wrath of gun owners much better than idiot uneducated voters though, which is what we happen to be going up against in this case, unfortunately.

If we are gonna start a campaign, the sooner the better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully the do not get enough signatures.
Hopefully they broke the rule against multiple subjects and the entire petition is invalid.
Hopefully we can convince our freshly elected reps to do what it takes to quash this.
I think that means they take it up and amend it to be nothing.
I will be attending a republican central committee meting Thursday night and will look up an expert or two.

As to NVFAC, how independent from NRA are they?
As I read it NRA did not do enough in WA.
Maybe better to contact GOA?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm with you.

Normally I am much more optimistic about things. Elected officials can feel the wrath of gun owners much better than idiot uneducated voters though, which is what we happen to be going up against in this case, unfortunately.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you.

I am looking into having videos/commercials made.

Setting, 2 guys shooting at a range
John: Hey is that a SIG P226 you're shooting.
Joe: Sure it is, would you like to try it?
<As Joe hands over the SIG a NYPD Cop enters the scene>
Cop: Hey youse guys can't do that without a background check. Youse is going to jail.

VOICEOVER: Liberal carpetbaggers want to make loaning a firearm to your friend at the range illegal. Don't let big city politicians dictate your freedoms in Nevada!
Vote against the UBC Bill.

Setting, a family gathered around a Christmas Tree
Grandpa: Billy I would like to give you my Marlin Model 60 as your first rifle for Christmas.
Billy: Wow Grandpa Thank you!
<As Grandpa hands over the Marlin, a NYPD Cop enters the scene>
Cop: Hey youse guys can't do that without a background check. Youse is going to jail.

VOICEOVER: Liberal carpetbaggers want to make giving a firearm to your family member illegal. Don't let big city politicians dictate your freedoms in Nevada!

You get the idea

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hopefully the do not get enough signatures.  According to RGJ, they did
Hopefully they broke the rule against multiple subjects and the entire petition is invalid.I hope so too
Hopefully we can convince our freshly elected reps to do what it takes to quash this.
I think that means they take it up and amend it to be nothing.
I will be attending a republican central committee meting Thursday night and will look up an expert or two.

As to NVFAC, how independent from NRA are they? Not sure, but am working with them on the sales tax thing
As I read it NRA did not do enough in WA. They saw WA as a lost cause, I doubt they see us that way...NSSF likes having SHOT here and SCI loves us.Maybe better to contact GOA? Couldn't hurt
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully the do not get enough signatures. According to RGJ, they did
View Quote

Verified VALID signatures?
I'm hoping a lot of them are from out of state tourist and others who do not qualify.
I think you also have to be a resident of the county where the petition was signed, I will check on that.
It's looking like we need an anti-carpetbagger law here, if you don't live here you don't get to lobby, petition, or vote here!

I have a couple of "household names" in mind for folk who are currently out of office who I would ask to run a truly Nevada based pro-RKBA group.
This won't be something that we can expect high profile people to do for free.
We may have to form and fund a PAC or LLC to do this.
Any tax lawyers on the board who can advise on this?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at a Barnes and Nobles store and one of these singature collectors was asking for signature "to protect our 2nd amendment rights."  Quite a few people signed the form.  When he got to me I read the petition and it was for the background checks.  So I started to tell him loudly that he was deceiving everyone.  A few people wanted their signatures crossed off.  The manager showed up and threw him out.  Too many people sign these things without reading it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Worse are the ones who sign even when they oppose it, trying to be "Fair" and "Let the voters decide".
NEVER give your opposition ANY opening you can prevent!
Just like, don't leave the keys in your car then act surprised when it's stolen.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm hoping a lot of them are from out of state tourist and others who do not qualify.
I think you also have to be a resident of the county where the petition was signed, I will check on that.
It's looking like we need an anti-carpetbagger law here, if you don/t live here you don't get to lobby, petition, or vote here!

I have a couple of "household names" in mind for folk who are currently out of office who I would ask to run a truly Nevada based pro-RKBA group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hopefully the do not get enough signatures. According to RGJ, they did

It's looking like we need an anti-carpetbagger law here, if you don/t live here you don't get to lobby, petition, or vote here!

I'm hoping that a bunch get thrown out
Link

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Proponents of gun owner background checks say they're submitting almost 250,000 signatures to Clark County election officials for a Nevada ballot measure to strengthen screening and reporting of weapon purchases.

Nevadans for Background Checks spokeswoman Kayla Keller says the organization will hand in on Wednesday well more than twice the approximately 102,000 signatures needed to qualify the initiative for the 2016 statewide ballot.

The group points to passage last week in Washington State of a measure making that state the seventh, plus the District of Columbia, to require universal background checks for all sales and transfers of firearms.

Nevada currently requires criminal and mental health background checks for gun buyers making purchases from licensed dealers, but not for purchases from private sellers or exhibitors at gun shows.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you guys are about to get bent over by the 0.01% (which is another angle you can use to fight it -- billionaires want to ban you from having guns). I guess this is the first time I have seen a positive to Iowa not allowing petition-initiated ballot initiatives (though it bites us in many other ways)
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want to see how it will end up take a look at the washington law.  Some of the things that are being considered against the new law are things like allowing your wife or adult child who is at home when you are not to know the combination to the gun safe because that is allowing them access to the guns and you have to have a background check before that is legal. I couldn't let me brother shoot one of my guns because that's against the law and you can forget about our little get togethers that we do now and then, that's all kinds of against the law.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you want to see how it will end up take a look at the washington law.  Some of the things that are being considered against the new law are things like allowing your wife or adult child who is at home when you are not to know the combination to the gun safe because that is allowing them access to the guns and you have to have a background check before that is legal. I couldn't let me brother shoot one of my guns because that's against the law and you can forget about our little get togethers that we do now and then, that's all kinds of against the law.
View Quote

It will only end up that way if you let it. The fight has not even started.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

VOICEOVER: Liberal carpetbaggers want to make loaning a firearm to your friend at the range illegal. Don't let big city politicians dictate your freedoms in Nevada!

Grandpa: Billy I would like to give you my Marlin Model 60 as your first rifle for Christmas.

VOICEOVER: Liberal carpetbaggers want to make giving a firearm to your family member illegal. Don't let big city politicians dictate your freedoms in Nevada!

You get the idea

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you.

You get the idea

These are a start.

They are not going to hit the emotions hard enough, particularly for folks that don't own guns or shoot.  Unfortunately it looks like that is how they got it through in WA...emotions.

Need something more along the lines of a graphic home invasion... female victim... husband's shotgun or pistol at hand, but she can't/won't grab it due to need for background check prior to transfer... bad guy grabs it anyway and kills victim.  Because criminals don't obey laws anyhow.  Throw in some dead kids for good measure too.  

Fear can work for both sides.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Google the Merced pitchfork murders.
Multiple dead kids due to the gun being out of reach and the killer "Only" had a pitchfork!
I'm also aware of the kid in Fernley? who shot and killed the stalker who was after his mother several years ago.
Stalker would have killed the kids too, leaving no witnesses.

This is not just an attack on our RKBA, it's private property rights too.
How many would go along with having to go back to the dealer and pay a fee to sell their used car?
Or not being allowed to loan a car, or even test drive one before buying?
Borrowed or lent any books?
Books often contain ideas, and ideas can be dangerous, particularly to the statist mentality!

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

These are a start.

They are not going to hit the emotions hard enough, particularly for folks that don't own guns or shoot.  Unfortunately it looks like that is how they got it through in WA...emotions.

Need something more along the lines of a graphic home invasion... female victim... husband's shotgun or pistol at hand, but she can't/won't grab it due to need for background check prior to transfer... bad guy grabs it anyway and kills victim.  Because criminals don't obey laws anyhow.  Throw in some dead kids for good measure too.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you.

You get the idea

These are a start.

Good one...the woman reaches for it...NY Cop GRABS it and says "eh eh eh! Youse didn't go through the background check"
And he goes back to eating a hot dog while she gets attacked.

here's another.
Two gang bangers exchanging guns for dope.
Concerned citizen sees them and points them out to the same cop...
Cop: "Whaddaya want from me, dose skells break da law anyway! We're not concerned with that, we're only going after so-called law abidin' citizens!  Hey is that a 20 ounce beverage you're drinking? Cuz we're going after dose next!"

I'm thinking of shooting a bunch of these as 60 second clips for YouTube, first...then as we get going picking the more popular ones to do as a commercial.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]
You need a Bloom-Turd mask on the cop.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was actually thinking a short fat guy in a suit wearing a bloomturd halloween mask nodding to everything he says.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I was actually thinking a short fat guy in a suit wearing a bloomturd halloween mask nodding to everything he says.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Needs a cape too, since he's the self appointed savior of the world. :D

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#26]
OK, got an update on the situation.
Some good, some bad if WE don't get it together and act.

Controlling authority for petitions is Article 19, section 2 for anyone who wants to look it up.

Good.
Look for about three pro-gun bills to be introduced and likely passed in 2015.
Beware that the lib's/anti's will try to water down or add anti-RKBA amendments so we cannot take anything for granted.

The bad.
With such a large margin the anti's will probably have enough signatures to put their petition through.
There may be some grounds for legal challenges, lots of skullduggery here, need a lawyer to address that.
One thing to do right away is to document as many cases of the anti's lying to and intimidating signers as possible.
Here in Douglas County one of them was caught on election day telling voters that they had to sign the petition before they could vote!
Sheriff's office was called and that scum was made to leave.
If they did that in a politically active county like mine I have to wonder what else they pulled elsewhere?

NVFAC appears to have a plan, I would like to know more about it.
We will need to coordinate with them.

The 2015 session begins on 2/4/15.
We should plan on having to show up for some of the hearings even though we will have a much "Friendlier" legislature.
The anti's are a smaller force but they are not ALL gone.

Unless enough fraud and intimidation can be proven to get the Bloom-Turd initiative thrown out it WILL be on the 2016 ballot!
It can be beaten but we have to begin our efforts ASAP.
Q3 went down in flames, the effort to defeat it took a year and lots of $$$, so be ready to break your piggy banks to defend our RKBA.

There's more but until we have secure communications I cannot post it here.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OK, got an update on the situation.
Some good, some bad if WE don't get it together and act.

Controlling authority for petitions is Article 19, section 2 for anyone who wants to look it up.

Good.
Look for about three pro-gun bills to be introduced and likely passed in 2015.
Beware that the lib's/anti's will try to water down or add anti-RKBA amendments so we cannot take anything for granted.

The bad.
With such a large margin the anti's will probably have enough signatures to put their petition through.
There may be some grounds for legal challenges, lots of skullduggery here, need a lawyer to address that.
One thing to do right away is to document as many cases of the anti's lying to and intimidating signers as possible.
Here in Douglas County one of them was caught on election day telling voters that they had to sign the petition before they could vote!
Sheriff's office was called and that scum was made to leave.
If they did that in a politically active county like mine I have to wonder what else they pulled elsewhere?

NVFAC appears to have a plan, I would like to know more about it.
We will need to coordinate with them.

The 2015 session begins on 2/4/14.
We should plan on having to show up for some of the hearings even though we will have a much "Friendlier" legislature.
The anti's are a smaller force but they are not ALL gone.

Unless enough fraud and intimidation can be proven to get the Bloom-Turd initiative thrown out it WILL be on the 2016 ballot!
It can be beaten but we have to begin our efforts ASAP.
Q3 went down in flames, the effort to defeat it took a year and lots of $$$, so be ready to break your piggy banks to defend our RKBA.

There's more but until we have secure communications I cannot post it here.
View Quote

Richard,

Good work. I've been doing some research as well. Can you give me any details about the incident in Douglas via email or PM.
Might make for a good story this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]
And who do you report the intimidating facts to
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And who do you report the intimidating facts to
View Quote

NVFAC, and your state representatives.
A sheriff's report would be good too.
Include as much detail as possible including vehicle license number if you got it.

I will look into getting more detail on the local @ss-bite.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone want a new bumpersticker or range target?

http://safenevada.org/
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
If this goes to the 2016 ballot as is, it will surely pass. I'm not familiar with the details of the initiative process, but would it be possible for the Legislature to gut the text of the initiative and pass it as something harmless?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#32]
The Margin Tax was unbeatable too, until it wasn't.
If the legislature does not pass this it still goes to the ballot in 2016.
I'm sure NRA and NVFAC will explore more angles.

I personally feel that it is invalidated due to the misleading text and amount of lying/ambush tactics by the signature gatherers.
But I might be a wee bit biased.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Where can you see the text?

There should be an exemption for family members and CCW holders too. Not that I am fine with it in those circumstances. But I don't pay for a background check as a CCW holder. Would I if this new ballot question gets passed?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#34]
The new ballot question isn't the law. It is a demand that the legislature pass a law containing the same wording. The Leg can go one way or the other. It truly is a mess, as the proposal had quite a few grey areas.

I will see if I can find it again. I thought it was posted in the other thread.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#35]
From a FFL perspective (Richard, let me know if you agree), there are two major issues that I see just on my first reading of the actual initiative:

3. A licensed dealer who agrees to conduct a background check pursuant to this section shall
take possession of the firearm and comply with all requirements of federal and state law as though
the licensed dealer were selling or transferring the firearm from his or her own inventory to the
buyer or transferee, including, but not limited to, all recordkeeping requirements, except that:
View Quote

(Bold added by me)

State law cannot mandate exceptions to federal recordkeeping requirements.  This is just asinine and could put FFLs in jeopardy when they are subject to inspections/audits.

(b) the seller or transferor may remove the firearm from the business premises while
the background check is being conducted, provided that before the seller or transferor sells or
transfers the firearm to the buyer or transferee, the seller or transferor and the buyer or
transferee shall return to the licensed dealer who shall again take possession of the firearm
prior to the completion of the sale or transfer.
View Quote

What?!?!?  A firearm that I have taken into my possession and logged into my books is allowed to be taken off of my premises by the seller?  Not according to current federal law.  This would be treated that same as a consignment where if the current owner/consignor wants their gun back, they have to complete a background check.  Unless it is specifically for gunsmithing/repair, any gun transferred to a nonlicensee is already required to complete a background check.  This initiative that is supposed to increase background checks is actually trying to exempt them where they are currently required.  What if the seller is a prohibited person and I transfer a gun to them that is now on my books without completing a background check? Now I am liable for that federal crime in addition to the recordkeeping violation.

Also, we run into the same issue that came up when we were fighting SB 221.  Why are we only running federal NICS checks on private party transfers under this new initiative but I have to charge my retail customers an extra $25 to run a check through the NV Central Depository?  That is placing firearms retailers at a competitive disadvantage.  If the free NICS system is good enough for private parties, why is it not good enough for my customers too??

There are probably more issues that we can bring up in our fight against this but those were the few that I saw right away.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There should be an exemption for family members and CCW holders too. Not that I am fine with it in those circumstances. But I don't pay for a background check as a CCW holder. Would I if this new ballot question gets passed?
View Quote

Here is the text:

http://nvsos.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=3440

No CCW exemption

Quick Edit:  Since the new initiative requires that private party background checks be processed through the free federal NICS system, there would not be a $25 background check fee but FFLs would be allowed to charge for the service of processing the check.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Here is the text:

No CCW exemption

Quick Edit:  Since the new initiative requires that private party background checks be processed through the free federal NICS system, there would not be a $25 background check fee but FFLs would be allowed to charge for the service of processing the check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is the text:

No CCW exemption

Its not even that simple, this complicates things for NV's POC system
full text

The Department of Public Safety has indicated that passage of the Initiative would require a renegotiation of POC status or the development of an alternative agreement with the FBI to accommodate the provisions of the Initiative.

Based on this requirement, the Fiscal Analysis Division has identified three potential scenarios that could occur due to the implementation of the Initiative:
1. If the agreement between the State and the FBI required the CHR to perform all background checks, it would result in additional expenditures of approximately $450,000 per year.
However, the Department has estimated that the additional revenue that would be generated from the $25 fee imposed on the private-party background checks would be sufficient to
defray these expenditures, which would result in no financial impact upon state government.

2. If the agreement between the State and the FBI allowed licensed firearms dealers to contact NICS directly to conduct federal background checks for private-party sales, but allowed the
State to maintain POC status and continue to conduct background checks through the CHR for all other sales by licensed firearm dealers as is currently required by federal law, there
would be no financial impact upon state government.

3. If the agreement between the State and the FBI removed Nevada’s POC status under the Brady Act, licensed firearms dealers would be required to contact NICS directly to obtain
background check information for retail and private-party sales rather than contacting the CHR. The Department has indicated that, if licensed dealers are required to access NICS
directly for background checks on all gun sales, this would result in the elimination of approximately 13 positions and a loss in revenue of approximately $2.7 million per year,
which is used to support the current operations of the CHR. This loss in revenue would result in a negative financial impact upon state government, as additional revenue would be
required from the State General Fund or other sources to supplant revenues used to support the CHR’s functions

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]
(sarcastic font) sounds very easy to enforce without some sort of registration... (sarcastic font)
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
(sarcastic font) sounds very easy to enforce without some sort of registration... (sarcastic font)
View Quote

There's a larger impact as it makes certain violations felonies, etc.
The 250,000 dopey cocksuckers who signed this need to be tarred and feathered and run the fuck out of this state on a rail car.

Here's the PAC responsible for this, too:
dirtbags
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If this goes to the 2016 ballot as is, it will surely pass. I'm not familiar with the details of the initiative process, but would it be possible for the Legislature to gut the text of the initiative and pass it as something harmless?
View Quote

If enough signatures are found to be legitimate, the initiatives would first go to the Legislature, which has 40 days to act on such measures. If lawmakers pass it and the governor signs it, the measure becomes law. If the Legislature does nothing or if the governor doesn’t sign it, an initiative goes on the ballot.

If lawmakers amend the measure, both the original version and the amended measure would go on the ballot. If both pass with more than 50 percent of the vote, the one with the larger number of "yes” votes becomes law.

This is what happened to the no smoking question on the ballot a few years ago.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The 250,000 dopey cocksuckers who signed this need to be tarred and feathered and run the fuck out of this state on a rail car.

dirtbags
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dirtbags

These idiots didn't even know what they were signing. All that was being said was, "Do you support background checks on all gun sales"?

People don't even know what they are doing. Idiots and sheep.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If enough signatures are found to be legitimate, the initiatives would first go to the Legislature, which has 40 days to act on such measures. If lawmakers pass it and the governor signs it, the measure becomes law. If the Legislature does nothing or if the governor doesn’t sign it, an initiative goes on the ballot.

If lawmakers amend the measure, both the original version and the amended measure would go on the ballot. If both pass with more than 50 percent of the vote, the one with the larger number of "yes” votes becomes law.

This is what happened to the no smoking question on the ballot a few years ago.

View Quote

That's not good. The margin tax, which looked inevitable, was defeated by huge amounts of money dedicated to defeating it and a very effective campaign against it. If Washington is an example, the NRA doesn't really care about these types of legislation. The NVFAC has zero clout (they too scared to even go on television and debate, and their anti-petition activities seem to have had zero effect) and will be a mere annoyance to the Bloomberg juggernaut. The only hope we have is for national groups to mount a campaign, but the inaction for the Washington law doesn't give me much hope.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm not that pessimistic as we have time on our side.

I'm remembering more of this particular crap from the 2013 session.
Little things like that when I pointed out that this amounted to a tax on an enumerated right, and that SCOTUS already struck down the Poll Tax on voting rights.
The response was that UBC supporters would happily reinstate the Poll Tax if that was what it took to pass it!
There is video of that exchange.

So far I think this is just a rehash of the same bill we killed in 2013.
A little research from the 2013 session will reveal everything that can possible be said from both sides, it's all archived including the public comments.
We have time to mine those archives for the best comments and massage them for publication - video.

I recall being told that FFL's would NOT be able to refuse to do the UBC's, that's involuntary servitude, aka, SLAVERY!
So the backers of UBC want to bring back slavery, even the worst of morons might have a problem with that!

I also recall that NV POS clearly stated that as written the bill would require illegal activity.

This phony initiative will be on the same ballot as folk running for office.
Candidates will have to take a position on it.
Supporters are liable to lose their election and they know it.
So I will be pressing them to publicly work against it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:05:03 AM EDT
[#44]
NFC PAC

This was on my facebook feed, seems legit. Thought it was worth a post.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:30:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Is that really an arm of NVFAC?
Or something else?
Needs to be vetted, then supported if legit.
$50K is not enough, going to have to do some fund raisers.
Who holds the money has been a question I have wondered about.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Or something else?
View Quote

This is the link I have
http://www.nvfacpac.org/author/webmaster/page/2/

I think their heart is in the right place, but before kicking in any cash I want to find out if its a legit PAC registered with the State, etc.

Grassroots Organization of the Year: Nevada Firearms Coalition

Conservatives in Nevada have long lacked the financial resources and sheer manpower of the state’s liberal organizations, especially Big Labor. But a new group of gun rights advocates emerged during the 2013 legislative session and proved to be every bit the “David” to the gun-grabbers New York-based “Goliath.”

For years Nevada has had to share its National Rifle Association lobbyist with California, but this year the newly-formed Nevada Firearms Coalition raised enough money to add a full-time lobbyist of its own to fight legislative efforts to curtail gun rights in Nevada. And what a baptism by fire it was!

Fueled by the shooting tragedy at Sandy Hook, the anti-gun forces descended upon Carson City en masse, including millions of dollars worth of political action funded by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and media events featuring Mark Kelly, husband of former Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords, who had been shot at a separate incident in Tucson a couple years ago.

Under the guidance and leadership of Don Turner and Randy Mackie, the Nevada Firearms Coalition kept gun rights supporters informed via regular emails, and activated its growing legion of advocates to show up at hearings, testify, make phone calls and send emails to both legislators and the media.

In the end, due in no small part to the efforts of the Nevada Firearms Coalition, a flawed “background check” bill was killed, along with other measures to increase taxes and fees on gun owners. Not bad for a badly under-matched and under-funded start-up organization!

As such, the Nevada Firearms Coalition is our conservative “Grassroots Organization of the Year” for 2013.

As the Great Communicator once said: "Trust, but verify".

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Or something else?
View Quote

Not sure. I only have the NFPAC on my FB and it only links what they post. So I assumed it was legit. However in the post after mine there is a direct link with a donation menu so I would be more comfortable with that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm brining up a shooting that happened thirty years ago around Jackpot. My memory is not as good as it used to be.

Short version. At a rest stop outside of Jackpot some nut went on a rampage and shot a Sheriff and was in the process of finishing the shooting when a bystander in a camper at the rest stop intervened and killed the shooter.

Now the memory part. If I remember right the State representatives passed a law backing our right to bear arms.

Maybe someone can research this. This happened in the very late 70's or early 80's. The Sheriff just passes away in the last two years. There was an article in the Elko paper about it.

Maybe we should press our representatives on this issue and have them write an amendment to this bill that if it passes we secede Southern Nevada and Southern Washoe county to California and the rest of Nevada becomes a free state.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's an example of what the UBC people are after.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/more-guns-for-gabby-while-vets-lose-theirs/#axzz3J9r87WtY

Another sick twist on the registration that is inevitable with UBC.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/13/buffalo-police-now-coming-to-homes-after-funerals-to-look-for-guns/

And a little more of what the UBC backers want, have a stroke = Lose your RKBA!

http://madisonrecord.com/news/266886-attorney-gains-firearms-permit-for-man-disqualified-for-gun-ownership-had-been-disqualified-in-missouri-after-stroke

The UBC ploy is only a start on their real agenda.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
How high is the confidence that Gov. Sandoval will veto this new law, if it comes to that, like he did last year?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/sandoval-vetoes-gun-background-check-bill

Best,
JBR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top