Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 1:50:59 AM EDT
My apologies if this has been asked before but my search skills on my phone are lacking...

Does anyone in Las Vegas get together regularly (or not so regularly) and go either shooting or hunting together? I have a few buddies up by Panaca/ Pioche that claim the hunting up there kicks ass. Is there anything closer?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Is nobody gonna help this guy?
OP, take your buddies up on offers up north, if there is anything decent here, nobody's gonna tell you about it. This of one of the worst places in the country to be a hunter or fisherman as far as proximity goes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, take your buddies up on offers up north, if there is anything decent here, nobody's gonna tell you about it. This of one of the worst places in the country to be a hunter or fisherman as far as proximity goes.
View Quote

Thanks man. I saw all the views without responses. People assume a low post count also means new to the rifle, area, or to boards in general.

Last question on the topic: where is a good place to get a hunters safety course completed? I know it's required to put in for tags. Bass Pro shop?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks man. I saw all the views without responses. People assume a low post count also means new to the rifle, area, or to boards in general.

Last question on the topic: where is a good place to get a hunters safety course completed? I know it's required to put in for tags. Bass Pro shop?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did mine at NDOW, on Vegeas Drive and Decatur many moons ago. Maybe they still do it there or maybe that department has been abolished and replaced with some rap/hopandchange/hate whitey/po me type place.....who knows. This City is a much more modern toilet than any I ever dueced in before it became what it is now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoa ok lol. Thanks buddy
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whoa ok lol. Thanks buddy
View Quote

Anytime. .
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
NDOW does the hunter safety classes. Pick up the book from an NDOW office and sign up for a class. Have your bookwork done before showing up for the class. All big game tags are on a lottery draw system. Pulling a tag can be difficult. For this reason there are few to no hunting clubs. You may find a waterfowl or upland game club. But I don't know of any. Mt. Lion are considered big game but you can buy  2 tags a year over the counter. Call the hotline to find out if the quota in the area you plan to hunt has been reached or if it is still open. Furbearers have seasons and require a furbearer lisence no matter what method of harvest. Coyotes, badger, jackrabbit, skunk, and ringtail cat are considered varmints, and have no bag limit or season. No lisence is needed for varmints UNLESS using a trap as means of harvest OR selling the hides for profit. In which case you need a furbearer lisence and can only trap during trapping season and all trapping rules apply.
Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NDOW does the hunter safety classes. Pick up the book from an NDOW office and sign up for a class. Have your bookwork done before showing up for the class. All big game tags arr on a lottery. Pulling a tag can be difficult . for this reason there are few to no hunting clubs. You may find a waterfowl or upland game club. But I don't know of any. Mt. Lion are considered big game but you can buy  2 tags a year over the counter. Call the hotline to find out if the quota in the area you plan to hunt has been reach or if it is still open. Furbearers have seasons and require a furbearer lisence no matter what method of harvest. Coyotes, badger, jackrabbit, skunk, and ringtail cat are considered varmints, have no bag limit or season. No lisence is needed for varmints UNLESS using a trap as means of harvest OR selling the hides for profit. In which case you need a furbearer lisence and can only trap during trapping season and all trapping riles apply.
Hope that helps.
View Quote

Immensely. Thank you. I haven't hunted here nor hunted at all since I was about 15. More than twice that now, so thanks to all for the advice
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm always game for hunting with Vegas folks.  I leave tomorrow to chase Elk, then Coues deer in Arizona at the end of the month.  After that I'm willing anytime,
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
ndows site has all the info you need for the hunter safety course.

I did my actual class at the clark county shooting complex. did the book online but you can pick up the paper one and bring it with you.

hunting sucks anywhere close to the city. about the only place i've gotten anything is down between searchlight and nelson close to the river. some quail could get some coots if i felt i wanted to taste one and the off chance of a duck or even some cotton tail

if you spend enough time out in the desert you'll inevitably see some black tailed jack rabbits or coyotes you can shoot them without a license anytime.

I had to drive ober 500 miles for my elk hunt a couple weeks ago way up past elko almost got stepped on by bull elk in my sleep and even had a big ole 6x6 walk right in to my scope from about 10 yards away. shame i only had a cow tag, the only cow i saw i scared away the day before the season while scouting.

good luck and I would like to do a southie shooting day sometime if anyone ever puts one together.

Short of that i know there are a handful of arfcommers that make it to the 3 gun matches at boulder city rifle pistol club.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only "active" club I know about is Las Vegas Woods & Waters Club.  We meet the second Wed of each month at noon for lunch and there are various events revolving around hunting, fishing, and shooting each month as well.

Right now meetings are at Charlies Lakeside at noon (next one is this coming Wed the 8th).  Stop by and check in!  Friendly group of guys and a decent lunch.
View Quote

I was a member for about two years, but couldn't make the meetings anymore and stopped paying my dues. Good group of guys, good speakers at lunch, some of the hunts and fishing trips are good. I think you had to be "referred" by a member, maybe that changed.  

http://www.lvwoodsandwaters.org/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top