Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 11:37:01 AM EDT
A local club came to me for a replacement target, and had the old one to show me. I've never seen a hardened steel target worked over this badly. Apparently, it had been the sight in target for a Northern California club for the last several years. It was made (I think) of T-1 steel (brinell 235-300).

I've seen mild steel do this, but never hardened. It was painful to look at, and painful to pick up without gloves.

The replacement targets weigh in at about 65 lbs each, and should last them a good long time.

Incidentally, I currently rate 1" AR500 for 600 yards with 50 BMG, but that has always been a super conservative number I made up on the spot. I've got a 12" round I'll be using to test the actual minimum shooting distance with 50 BMG. I'll be looking for pitting and denting.

Following that test, I'll be building a prototype 50 BMG dueling tree, because I can.

Incidentally, if you're in the Reno area, and want to help out with the 50 BMG test, let me know and we'll figure out a date. I've already got a couple guys with 50 BMGs coming out, but the more the merrier. I plan to start at 600 yards and work in, and might have some 1/2" AR500 to test at the same time.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I can help with the Czech 7.62x39 AP test.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
A 50 BMG Dueling Tree?!?!?  Please, please, PLEASE video that puppy in use and post it.  I can imagine two of those monsters blazing away side by side.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Please make all participants use semi or full auto weapons.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy Rust Pit, Batman!...that target looks fooked!

I am sure that those silly-wet shooters are gonna love their MOA steel much moar better.

Good to see you posting...hope all is well, my friend.

I'm thinking that you should invest in an industrial-grade electromagnet so that you can adequately screen Pvt. Cowboy's ammo when he comes to the shoot.

Keep The High Ground,

G

ETA - spelling
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
OK - does your AR500 come any thicker than 1" ?????

With the "build it and they will come theory", we might be able to find out who on the NVHTF is packing a 20mm Lahti or similar.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
1" is as heavy as I have looked for, to date. I know a guy with a 20mm lahti already, that's covered. :D
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am sure that those silly-wet shooters are gonna love their MOA steel much moar better.

I'm thinking that you should invest in an industrial-grade electromagnet so that you can adequately screen Pvt. Cowboy's ammo when he comes to the shoot.

Keep The High Ground,

G

ETA - spelling
View Quote

Fudds love mah steel, yo! The electro magnet is a good call, Cowboy isn't the only one I've caught out there. I wonder if I can make a TSA style groping device to check for steel core? Attendence may go down, but the perks would be worth it.

Glad to hear from you as well, still no word on my end for the MT project.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Can I get groped even if I don't have a .50?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A 50 BMG Dueling Tree?!?!?  Please, please, PLEASE video that puppy in use and post it.  I can imagine two of those monsters blazing away side by side.
View Quote

I've already asked him to build a 50 BMG dueling tree a while back.  Would love to test with my Barrett it but I just left town for an extended period.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fudds love mah steel, yo! The electro magnet is a good call, Cowboy isn't the only one I've caught out there. I wonder if I can make a TSA style groping device to check for steel core? Attendence may go down, but the perks would be worth it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep The High Ground,

G

ETA - spelling

LOL!...thinkin' Cowboy might enjoy that.
Just whisper sweet nothings in his ear as you search him for unauthorized AP/Steel Core!

No worries, brother...Big Sky Country is here and waiting forya.

G

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've already asked him to build a 50 BMG dueling tree a while back.  Would love to test with my Barrett it but I just left town for an extended period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. You inspired the project, but I only recently figured out how I might make it work without being ridiculously heavy and expensive. It'll still be heavy and expensive, but maybe not ridiculously so. PM me your out of town schedule, it'll be a while before I get to the dueling tree prototype point.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Let me know if you want to let me take a whack at it with 338 Lapua

And I got another new can that makes the other one sound noisy
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Let me know if you want to let me take a whack at it with 338 Lapua

And I got another new can that makes the other one sound noisy
View Quote

I've already got the effects of 338 lapua dialed for my steel at this point, but that doesn't make you any less welcome to come shoot. I'd love to check out the new can.

I'll post up in hometown before the event goes down so people can come out. I could use a couple more GoPro style cameras for documentation if folks have them.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bring an MRI scanner and I may go flying towards it considering how much steel core I carry hidden on my person.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Destructive testing the 1" at 8AM at my private range this Sunday. Email me at [email protected] for an invite and directions if you want to come participate. It's going to be a small, private event, 2-3 guys with rifles, and maybe another dozen of us as onlookers. First come, first served.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Destructive testing

Yo Cowboy you're up
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Destructive testing

Yo Cowboy you're up
View Quote

Ha!

Update, moved to 8AM Saturday because I can't read a calendar.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Destructive testing

Yo Cowboy you're up
View Quote

Can't get my '*KLANG!*' on before 10am anymore.  Getting old.

Oh hell.  I might go.  Wait, where the hell am I supposed to go?

Who else is going?  Are you going ALASKANFIRE?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't know yet. Busy weekend for me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Destructive testing

Yo Cowboy you're up

Email me for directions. Leave your steel core at home.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]

From right to left, 300, 200, 100 yards. No damage with 750 gr Hornady AMAX. None. No damage. Could sand the paint off and I don't think we'd be able to tell where we hit.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

From right to left, 300, 200, 100 yards. No damage with 750 gr Hornady AMAX. None. No damage. Could sand the paint off and I don't think we'd be able to tell where we hit.

View Quote

... Aside from the 1.21Gw 14mm Microwave laser cannon I brought that neatly cut the nice hole all the way through the very top of the target plate, then yes.  

BTW: Good idea you had sending that one guy 5 miles downrange with the fire extinguisher before we shot, it turns out.  I owe you a FE recharge and many thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweet!!!  I'm getting excited!  I see a .50BMG gong and dueling tree in the near future!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sweet!!!  I'm getting excited!  I see a .50BMG gong and dueling tree in the near future!
View Quote

You can already buy gongs from me out of 1". Dueling tree should be prototyped in the next 6-8 weeks. Thinking about holding a winner take all (I'll have to figure out a suitable mascot, I suppose) stuffed animal prize for 50 BMG duel match for November 22, if I can get the Mustang Range to host and enough shooters to make it fun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
... Aside from the 1.21Gw 14mm Microwave laser cannon I brought that neatly cut the nice hole all the way through the very top of the target plate, then yes.  

BTW: Good idea you had sending that one guy 5 miles downrange with the fire extinguisher before we shot, it turns out.  I owe you a FE recharge and many thanks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a hell of a shot. Bummer about your ND that took out the fire fighter afterworlds. We'll always miss you, Dick Hansome.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:45:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Did you use anything other than the 750 Amax? Try some ball it's a little more rugged.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Did you use anything other than the 750 Amax? Try some ball it's a little more rugged.
View Quote
One round of m33 steel core ball at 400 yards. 3~4mm pit. The goal was to see what happened with non-steel core ammo at various ranges. I don't think any of the steel target vendors rate target for steel core.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure you knew they were steel core and therefore be more destructive. I had no idea when I first got into 50's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure you knew they were steel core and therefore be more destructive. I had no idea when I first got into 50's.
View Quote

Yup. I don't plan on testing it, since the rule with steel targets is no steel on steel, but I suspect out past 500 yards or so, you'd be fine as long as you stuck to mild steel cores.

Part of the no steel on steel rule is liability on fire and ricochet. I've shot 5.45x39 7n6 at plenty of 3/8 without damaging it, but I still tell everyone as soon as you shoot MOA steel with steel core or steel jacket, you void your warranty and are out of of the super secret club.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I should have said gong and dueling tree in the near future, for me.  But I was really wanting it for straight ball ammo.  3-4mm dings don't concern me if it's an inch thick.  I'd shoot tracers at it if it weren't such a problem down there to shoot incendiaries.  Not a problem up here in Alaska due to snow.

I must say I am abusive to my steel.  I'll shoot my triangles at 50 yards with 308, 30-06, 5.56 M855 penetrators - everything but .50BMG.  They are AR500 and all I get are small dimples and chunks out of edge hits.  All that really happens is I eventually break one of the lousy welds then I have a friend Tig weld them up and no problems.

So I really don't care if I pit the hell out of the gong, but I'll be wanting to shoot it with M33 ball, steel core, as close as 330-500 yards.  Same with a dueling tree but if I'm going to have to shoot that at 500+, the paddles better be big.  I was hoping to duel with Barret M107's which aren't as accurate as the bolt action rifles, and I didn't want to have to run AMAX loads to do it.

Considering I am shooting .50BMG, I figure it's worth $50 or more of target destruction anyways.

Maybe make me a 1.5" gong if necessary, or use another material.  Can I lift a gong that heavy?  How heavy is your 1" gong?  And what's it's width/diameter?

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I should have said gong and dueling tree in the near future, for me.  But I was really wanting it for straight ball ammo.  3-4mm dings don't concern me if it's an inch thick.  I'd shoot tracers at it if it weren't such a problem down there to shoot incendiaries.  Not a problem up here in Alaska due to snow.

View Quote

I must say I am abusive to my steel.  I'll shoot my triangles at 50 yards with 308, 30-06, 5.56 M855 penetrators - everything but .50BMG.  They are AR500 and all I get are small dimples and chunks out of edge hits.  All that really happens is I eventually break one of the lousy welds then I have a friend Tig weld them up and no problems.

So I really don't care if I pit the hell out of the gong, but I'll be wanting to shoot it with M33 ball, steel core, as close as 330-500 yards.  Same with a dueling tree but if I'm going to have to shoot that at 500+, the paddles better be big.  I was hoping to duel with Barret M107's which aren't as accurate as the bolt action rifles, and I didn't want to have to run AMAX loads to do it.

Considering I am shooting .50BMG, I figure it's worth $50 or more of target destruction anyways.

Maybe make me a 1.5" gong if necessary, or use another material.  Can I lift a gong that heavy?  How heavy is your 1" gong?  And what's it's width/diameter?

1" is currently the thickest I carry, and, sans testing, I'm pretty sure as long as you are running mild steel core, it'll be fine. The test target was 12" diameter, and weighs 32 lbs.

At 400 yards, we were hard pressed to find the pit from M33.

But, I don't rate it for steel core. Period. I'll sell you what you want, but if you fuck it up using something other than lead/copper/aluminum, I'm just going to point and laugh.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

But, I don't rate it for steel core. Period. I'll sell you what you want, but if you fuck it up using something other than lead/copper/aluminum, I'm just going to point and laugh.

View Quote

Then I'm your huckleberry!  I'll let you know how many licks it takes to get to the core.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top