Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2011 3:38:45 PM EDT
Whats going on over there? Channel 8 just showed the owner in cuffs
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Pimping?
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they got arrested for price gouging....

Link Posted: 8/19/2011 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I was at Cool Blue Talent agency next door. Looked pretty interesting, though  have no clue what it was about. Numerous agencies present, though, including AF, probably from Nellis. Somebody's day didn't quite go the way they expected. A few folks won new jewelry and a free ride downtown.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Per Fox 5

"According to CNN, a combined raid by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, the FBI, ICE and Metro Police was carried out Friday afternoon at Citadel Gun & Safe on Dean Martin Drive near Flamingo in Las Vegas.

The combined agencies were looking for property stolen from the Air Force. What they were looking for has not been revealed, but it was not weapons or explosives......"

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/15300043/las-vegas-gun-store-raided
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if it was night vision or other peripherals that are popular?
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
2 from my squadron were taken in by OSI today.  Wonder if it is related.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm.......
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I got blocked in by a truck with a 40' flatbed trailer. They had several of them. If it was NVG's or some such, there must have been a LOT of them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if they'll have a decent "Going Out of Business" sale.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I got blocked in by a truck with a 40' flatbed trailer. They had several of them. If it was NVG's or some such, there must have been a LOT of them.

Sounds like the kind of thing you'd haul a bunch of safes away with......

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Per Fox 5

"According to CNN, a combined raid by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, the FBI, ICE and Metro Police was carried out Friday afternoon at Citadel Gun & Safe on Dean Martin Drive near Flamingo in Las Vegas.

The combined agencies were looking for property stolen from the Air Force. What they were looking for has not been revealed, but it was not weapons or explosives......"

I had wondered while I was down there about the Government Issue stuff they sold. I guess you could buy it legally, but you always hear about "aquired" G.I. items in a bad light...
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Per Fox 5

I had wondered while I was down there about the Government Issue stuff they sold. I guess you could buy it legally, but you always hear about "aquired" G.I. items in a bad light...

You should have seen all the stuff in Hahns.  Gas masks with 99 CES on them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Is Hahns gone?
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is Hahns gone?

I was there last Sunday and it was open.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think they got arrested for price gouging....

Link Posted: 8/21/2011 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
He carried a gun in the DMV
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Hahns gone?

I was there last Sunday and it was open.

I saw a guy in af camo there quite a few times with a duffel bag full of crap to sell.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh well it sucks for Citadel.  This will be an expensive lesson for Jon and Amber. Trading in hot gov't goods is never good business.  I'm surprised they didn't get whacked earlier for this because alot of stuff they had in their cabinets just didn't look like stuff you could scoop up at a DRMO auction.  Perhaps the best thing here is that they shut down for good and do some time in the pokey.  Also, I never could put my finger on it but Jon seemed like he was not on the up and up.

So first pimping, then selling the guns made by the pimphand and now this, I think this a good a time as any to close up shop.

Link Posted: 8/21/2011 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Found this linked on another forum.

http://news.yahoo.com/air-force-involved-raid-las-vegas-gun-store-202700714.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting...
Section 1385 makes specific reference to the use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus. The section states, "Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

There is an exception to this section of the law. If this case involved nuclear materials or weaponry, then the Air Force can assist with a search warrant. Until the Air Force or the FBI reveals what they were looking for, we will not know if this is the case. It is doubtful it will ever be revealed what they were looking for in the Citadel Gun & Safe Store.

According to CBS News they were after MRE's and body armor. Not exactly nuclear materials, but then neither was the stuff in the Branch Davidian case.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think the OSI agents were there to cuff and stuff anyone, they will coordinate with local LE.  More likely they were just there to find the items and return them to Government control.  The guys in ABU's looked like truck drivers assigned to the LRS squadron from Nellis to haul the stuff back to the yard.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#22]
According to CBS, the Air Force actually LED the raid: "The U.S. Air Force led a rare raid against a Las Vegas gun shop Friday afternoon."

Source
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't rely too heavily upon what the CBS report said.  They probably just picked up upon the air force angle and all of a sudden the air force was leading the raid
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
According to CBS, the Air Force actually LED the raid: "The U.S. Air Force led a rare raid against a Las Vegas gun shop Friday afternoon."

Source

And when did the media start reporting the correct story?

OSI agent are classified as federal agents as well...

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#25]
So what's the deal with Citadel?  My understanding is that they had a FFL when they were up in UT, then lost the FFL.  Then moved down here and opened up and got an FFL in the wife's name, then lost it again.  At some point they employed a felon gunsmith who was arrested in the store.  I heard rumblings of other weird shit as well, and now this.  What gives?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So what's the deal with Citadel?  My understanding is that they had a FFL when they were up in UT, then lost the FFL.  Then moved down here and opened up and got an FFL in the wife's name, then lost it again.  At some point they employed a felon gunsmith who was arrested in the store.  I heard rumblings of other weird shit as well, and now this.  What gives?

Looks to me all you have to do is put 2n2 together and come up with the answer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks to me all you have to do is put 2n2 together and come up with the answer.

I guess I should have been more clear, what I posted is all second hand, and I was wondering if there is truth to everything I posted.  I am in no way attempting to smear anyone's name or defame anyone, just wondering what the deal is.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Andie, you pretty much caught all the high notes.  No worries on smearing anybodies name.  Basically what alot of this boils down to is shady business practices, being way trusting in people and generally not doing the right thing to protect your business interests.  I can see as a store owner not saying much or being suspicious of a guy who comes in the shop wanting to sell some old fatigues and a rucksack.  Now if that same guy comes in with an ACOG, a PEQ-2, and a PRR radio set, then you may want to ask questions or tell the guy to hit the road instead of seeing dollar signs.  

When I jockeyed a gun counter we made damn sure we did everything we could to prevent buying a stolen weapon.  Luckily as far as I know we never fell into that trap.  

I always liked going to that store back when it first opened, everyone did seem nice there, but I started to see a decline before I moved away.  Even my wife noticed a bad vibe there.  It might be time the owners found a new line of work.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guess I should have been more clear, what I posted is all second hand, and I was wondering if there is truth to everything I posted.  I am in no way attempting to smear anyone's name or defame anyone, just wondering what the deal is.  

o had a friend who used to work there while the gunsmith who turned out to be a convicted felon was there.

he left before sometime before the party they had where one of the employees ate his gun.

for a while i was having to puck my friend up from there at closing time, so i'd get recruited to help put things away in the safe, most of the people there seemed decent, but for whatever reason they've been plagued by a string of issues. IIRC, they were also assembling complete ARs, either by simply pinning together complete uppers and lowers or building lowers and parts kits into complete rifles and not paying the ATF their 11% excise tax. they were selling complete DPMS rifles for fairly attractive prices (i almost bought an M4 with 14.5" barrel and permanently attached Phantom, but they never had one when i had the money) and enough of the rifles had problems that required calls to customer service. they ran the numbers and they had not been sold by DPMS as complete rifles. at least that's the way i heard the story from multiple sources.

"shit magnets" is the term that comes to mind, and that's often caused by poor decisions well in advance of the trouble actually happening. and it usually takes more than one bad decision to make this kind of shit stick to you repeatedly.

when their prices are in the "silly" range and they continue to have problems like they've had it seems like a good idea to spend your hard earned money somewhere else.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:he left before sometime before the party they had where one of the employees ate his gun.

He didn't "eat" his gun at a party.  He was their gunsmith and he actually killed himself at his house, about an hour after I left.  I was the last person to see him outside his family.  As for the party rumor, that started because some asshole he worked with sent a bogus text from my friend's phone, saying he was sad that he turned 40, and he killed himself at his own birthday party.  Sadly, about a month later, the rumor became truth, but it was at home, not at a stupid party.  He was a good guy, but obviously he had some demons he couldn't deal with.  I saw no indication the last time I saw him that anything like that was about to happen.

About that second hand info....
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#31]
They were much cooler when the pimp ex-felon was working on guns saying how he was Dallas SWAT and on admin leave for a shooting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They were much cooler when the pimp ex-felon was working on guns saying how he was Dallas SWAT and on admin leave for a shooting.

Agreed.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

That's a busy guy.  Told me he was a sniper with the 2nd SFG, or 2nd "Group" as he put it.  Too bad 2nd "Group" didn't exist.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:he left before sometime before the party they had where one of the employees ate his gun.

He didn't "eat" his gun at a party.  He was their gunsmith and he actually killed himself at his house, about an hour after I left.  I was the last person to see him outside his family.  As for the party rumor, that started because some asshole he worked with sent a bogus text from my friend's phone, saying he was sad that he turned 40, and he killed himself at his own birthday party.  Sadly, about a month later, the rumor became truth, but it was at home, not at a stupid party.  He was a good guy, but obviously he had some demons he couldn't deal with.  I saw no indication the last time I saw him that anything like that was about to happen.

About that second hand info....

ahh, ok, somehow i thought it was another employee there. thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Caught a part of a conversation between FFLs at the Big Reno Show about the Citadel raid. They believe it has to do with Citadel's refusal to sell under the Fast and Furious Operation and an FBI agent who got an ATF agent's house repossessed. The whole story sounded so stupid that I really want to believe it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

That's a busy guy.  Told me he was a sniper with the 2nd SFG, or 2nd "Group" as he put it.  Too bad 2nd "Group" didn't exist.

aww c'mon, you mean he wasn't a Chicago SWAT Cop like he told me?

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought he was agent 113 Mojave Green with V.I.P.E.R.S. ACADEMY.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What was much cooler than that was your department believing his BS and buying a crap load of AR's built by said felon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Caught a part of a conversation between FFLs at the Big Reno Show about the Citadel raid. They believe it has to do with Citadel's refusal to sell under the Fast and Furious Operation and an FBI agent who got an ATF agent's house repossessed. The whole story sounded so stupid that I really want to believe it.

I saw gunmonkey eyeballin' trunkmonkey patches in a glass case, at the Big R show.......at the time, I wasn't sure if it was him cuz it looked like he was carrying a huge man-purse?............................but now I know...............................wa'sup? monkey??....lol

Back to original thread..........
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw gunmonkey eyeballin' trunkmonkey patches in a glass case, at the Big R show.......at the time, I wasn't sure if it was him cuz it looked like he was carrying a huge man-purse?............................but now I know...............................wa'sup? monkey??....lol

Back to original thread..........

Dammit! I took the BFL offa my big manpurse, too.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#42]
the more i think about this, the more it bothers me.  

In the handful of times ive been to citadel, John and Amber have both been very nice to me, and they seem like genuinely good people.  Maybe I am the one who sucks at judging character, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  Its the same reason I am friends with people like Pballjunky and GloryBigs.  

I hope this all turns out to be a misunderstanding and that there was no wrong doing on their part.  I hate to see anyone get in trouble who is just trying to get by, and isnt intentionally doing anything negligent or outright illegal.  

Every time i have been there, there has always been LEO in there buying gear, or shooting the breeze.  It seems unreasonable that Citadel would intentionally engage in illegal activities with that sort of clientele frequenting the establishment.  

OOOOORRRR, maybe i should call it quits on the scotch tonight.  what do i know....
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

the more i think about this, the more it bothers me.  
In the handful of times ive been to citadel, John and Amber have both been very nice to me, and they seem like genuinely good people.  Maybe I am the one who sucks at judging character, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  Its the same reason I am friends with people like Pballjunky and GloryBigs.  
I hope this all turns out to be a misunderstanding and that there was no wrong doing on their part.  I hate to see anyone get in trouble who is just trying to get by, and isnt intentionally doing anything negligent or outright illegal.  
Every time i have been there, there has always been LEO in there buying gear, or shooting the breeze.  It seems unreasonable that Citadel would intentionally engage in illegal activities with that sort of clientele frequenting the establishment.  
OOOOORRRR, maybe i should call it quits on the scotch tonight.  what do i know....

They were always friendly to me too.  However, I quit going in there when they started price gouging the hell out of everybody.  Also my understanding is that they have had some run-ins with the ATF before, so there must be something going on.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#44]
When the Feds raided John and Amber's house I had like 5 news teams running around my house trying to get either my wife or I to say some dirt about either John or Amber on camera. They even knocked on my door when we were obviously eating dinner. The press would make comments about the way their house looks and whether we knew about some trouble they had in Utah. I tried to be polite in telling them to go away but most of the press were very pushy. They even cornered my wife when she got home trying to get her to say something bad about John and Amber. I thought I was going to have to turn the dogs out to get them off my yard.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#45]
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/15334287/2-charged-in-nellis-air-force-base-theft
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Not to bad-mouth them but I have been in there maybe a dozen times over the years. I'll give you all that they were friendly but something always seemed wrong about the whole thing. No way I would ever feel comfortable filling out FFL paperwork with them. They always seemed too hard up for money. I have my suspicions of things,but I'll keep them to myself..... OTOH NFA is GTG IMO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It seems unreasonable that Citadel would intentionally engage in illegal activities with that sort of clientele frequenting the establishment.  

You are right...... who would have thought a company would hire a pimpin' ex-felon to build guns without paying an excise tax and perform custom work?

Either they are both really stupid OR they knew what they were doing. I am sorry though, pallets of MREs should make anyone suspicious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Me and one of my coworkers used to go in there off and on during our lunch breaks and stuff.  Not once when we tried to buy something did they try and deal fairly, every time it was a gouge attempt, no matter if it was a piece or a part.   I tried to buy an upper they had listed on Gun Broker and they wouldn't sell it to me for the GB price because "I was a local".   The nice couple  had no problem offering to sell it to me for +$50 though.    They also sold a lower model EoTech to someone I work with and pitched it as being a higher-end one (he was a noob at the time).

What really appalled me in there one day was my bud and I walked in and no staff was inside the customer area for a good 5 min!   The side door was cracked but nobody was on the floor.  We thought we may have walked into a robbery attempt or something but didn't see any missing weapons (or smashed cases).   Finally someone wondered out but I couldn't believe that many weapons were unattended for that long.  

Customer loyalty comes from good customer service, I never saw any of that in the many many times I went to their store.  I have no sympathy for their problems.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems unreasonable that Citadel would intentionally engage in illegal activities with that sort of clientele frequenting the establishment.  

You are right...... who would have thought a company would hire a pimpin' ex-felon to build guns without paying an excise tax and perform custom work?

Either they are both really stupid OR they knew what they were doing. I am sorry though, pallets of MREs should make anyone suspicious.

Is that what it was?  MREs?  I thought they were after optics or something.....

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Updated story:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/two-in-las-vegas-face-stolen-military-charges-128417503.html

John was charged.  NVD, vests, MG mounts, MREs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top