Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2016 9:27:40 PM EDT
Looks like there's a gun show in west Salem this weekend. Anybody headed up there? I know they're always a little shakey but I can't resist a show.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Are gun shows still a thing?

Seems like they were on their way out 15 years ago. Back then you could still find cheap SKS' or K31's and ammo-man was bringing tractor trailer loads to shows and dumping cases by the pallet. Deals could be had and there was some interesting stuff floating around.

We started seeing the same folks at every show, even if we drove a few hours to try to get away from them. They smoke or make other excuses to stay crowded near the door and mob everyone that walks in with a gun to sell. They'll even patrol the parking lot to catch people before they get to the door. "Hey ... whatcha got there ... you sellin ...."

They're vacuuming up everything that is reasonably priced and then 'changing their mind'. It will be for sale at retail price tomorrow.

Me: Why would anyone pay retail for a used gun. I can get a new one for cheaper if I wait for a sale.
Them: "Yeah, but ...... N O  P A P E R ....." (Nodding slowly)

Great. Now there's not a deal to be had, these petty fuckers are annoying, lacking hygiene, and the only sane reason to buy from them is to avoid a background check. It wasn't fun any more. We quit going.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Need to find the independent gun shows. "Chain" shows, like bob and rocco, are the worst. Always the same dealers and same crap.

Hey, whens the the next FDL show? I recall that one was pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The Fondy show is Oct. 15 and 16. The only show I will bother to go to. The others are a waste of time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seems like they were on their way out 15 years ago. Back then you could still find cheap SKS' or K31's and ammo-man was bringing tractor trailer loads to shows and dumping cases by the pallet. Deals could be had and there was some interesting stuff floating around.

We started seeing the same folks at every show, even if we drove a few hours to try to get away from them. They smoke or make other excuses to stay crowded near the door and mob everyone that walks in with a gun to sell. They'll even patrol the parking lot to catch people before they get to the door. "Hey ... whatcha got there ... you sellin ...."

They're vacuuming up everything that is reasonably priced and then 'changing their mind'. It will be for sale at retail price tomorrow.

Me: Why would anyone pay retail for a used gun. I can get a new one for cheaper if I wait for a sale.

Great. Now there's not a deal to be had, these petty fuckers are annoying, lacking hygiene, and the only sane reason to buy from them is to avoid a background check. It wasn't fun any more. We quit going.
View Quote

My thoughts and experiences exactly parallel yours.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot to add a bit about used reloading equipment being priced above new retail prices and people being bitchy if you make an actual reasonable offer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Need to find the independent gun shows.
View Quote

Tell us more .....
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tell us more .....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need to find the independent gun shows.

Tell us more .....

That's about it. I so rarely go to gun shows anymore. Most of the shows in my area are either B&R shows, or extremely small club shows that are on weeknights when I can't go anyway, and usually aren't worth going to.

The FDL show is the only one that sticks out in my mind as a good one, haven't been there in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You forgot the best part of gun shows. It's the place where everyone gets rid of their worn out, high round count, cowboy action and hunting guns. Next time ask the idiot behind the table eating his 10th hotdog for the day the where he got the gun and it's history.

Having been a FFL seller at many a show I got sick and tired of all the games. You should get into a show hours before it opens. Most every "dealer" gets there early so they can shop. You have to be a fricken moron if you think your going to find a GOOD deal at a show. Those guys sell guns for a living. Anything that they can make a buck on gets picked and priced higher before you even get into the parking lot.

Then after the show it's time for the dealers to hash out who did the best. Basically who screwed the private guy bringing his treasure the best and made the most money. It's all a big joke to them.

It's a pretty tight knit group and most dealers are good buddies with each other. It's always a big game to get the closest table to the door and get first shot at the sheep walking in. Ever notice how the big FFL dealers are at the front and the small dealers and private sellers are way in the back. Hit the back rows first it's your only chance that one of the big dealers over looked something. Maybe the item is priced to high and the big dealer can't make their margin so you may have a chance. But it won't be a "GREAT deal.

You can actually sit back and watch what goes on and know before the guy gets to the back of the show if it's something to buy. "IF" it makes it past the first couple tables. I've even seen hand signals and texting other dealers during the show.

Just avoid being treated like a sucker and don't waste your time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top