Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2016 4:48:55 PM EDT
After 24 years the marriage is down the tubes...

We are amicable doing everything Pro Se.

How does maintenance work?

Thanks
V
OUT
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear. You know what I always say though? I have nothing against ex's, everyone should have one!

Any minor kids? Are you paying or receiving?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry that it worked out this way. You will come out better on the other end. Keep your head up.

Maintenance is a state mandated calculation of the difference between your incomes. It has been three years since I looked at it.

Once she shacks up and cohabitates with someone, you can petition to end payments.

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear you are going through that. My divorce was finalized this past January.  

Pro Se was the plan till she bailed on our kids for 2.5 months.   Then I had her serviced by my attorney. Only married for 9 years at the time of filing so had she gotten an attorney they would have been hard pressed to show justification for maintenance based on the short time of marriage, our ages, ability to work and get further education, if one supported the household while the other got further education that didn't allow for the other to do the same and some other things I don't recall.

With 24yrs and going pro se, it will come down to what you both agree on for maintenance.   There are no state recommendations for spousal maintenance they only have outlines for child support.  If spousal maintenance is agreed upon and in the divorce decree, the state will handle collection and payments(for a fee of course).  As for child support guidelines those have some ability to be adjusted, was able to get my ex to agree to less as she was shacked up with someone already and  had 1/3 the expenses I had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top