Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2016 8:40:47 PM EDT
Having a hard time finding a clear answer on this.  I'll be up in Juneau County on Saturday to try out my new AR.  We've got 40 acres but there is beautiful natural backstop and open field about one mile outside of our property inside of the state forest.

We've also been managing our land for deer season pretty heavily and I'd like to disturb it as legal as possible.  Is it legal to target shoot or sight in on state land in Juneau County?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
NO. The land is for hunting, not target shooting. A couple shots on your land in sent going to bother the deer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NO. The land is for hunting, not target shooting. A couple shots on your land in sent going to bother the deer.
View Quote

Source?

What about a county forest?  Juneau County's ordinance page doesn't even touch on the issue.  Neither does Germantown's.

No one uses the land for anything.  We own 40 acres but it might as well be 2,000 as int he last 10 years we haven't seen a single hunter, hiker, etc. on that land..ever.  Only snowmobilers in winter running the trails.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is your property at?

There is a gunshop with a "range" in Mauston.  I have never needed to use it, but people do go there to sight in rifles.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There is a gunshop with a "range" in Mauston.  I have never needed to use it, but people do go there to sight in rifles.
View Quote

We're right between Mauston and Necedah.  Do you know the name of it?  I'm not finding anything online.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Source?

What about a county forest?  Juneau County's ordinance page doesn't even touch on the issue.  Neither does Germantown's.

No one uses the land for anything.  We own 40 acres but it might as well be 2,000 as int he last 10 years we haven't seen a single hunter, hiker, etc. on that land..ever.  Only snowmobilers in winter running the trails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?

County Forrest would depend on the county I assume but state land does not allow target shooting unless it's a designated range.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We're right between Mauston and Necedah.  Do you know the name of it?  I'm not finding anything online.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

R and R Shooter Supplies, I think
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been doing some research online about target shooting. I have access to 20 acres in Nicolet Forrest but it is about a 4 hour drive for me. I looked into target shooting on public land and found that all but 18 counties allow target shooting.  Here is what I found on DNR website.

http://dnr.wi.gov/education/outdoorskills/shootingranges/shootingrangestrategicgudance.pdf

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top