Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2016 8:01:56 PM EDT
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew the legality of setting up target and shooting on state owned land. Specifically state natural areas. I know it's legal to hunt there, but can someone set up some tin cans and have a lazy afternoon of shooting?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It is generally prohibited to target shoot except at established ranges.  

NR 45.09  Firearms and hunting.
(1) No person may take, catch, kill, hunt, trap or pursue any wild animal or bird, or discharge any firearm, or have in possession or under control any firearm or air gun as defined in s. 939.22, Stats., unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case, or any bow, crossbow, slingshot or spring-load device designed for shooting a projectile unless the same is unstrung or enclosed in a carrying case while in any state park, fish hatchery, or within 100 yards of any state campground, picnic area or other special use area designated by the department by posted notice. No person may discharge a firearm, bow, crossbow, or airgun from, on, or across any state trail corridor or other state park area, which is not open to hunting.
View Quote

It does not appear that they have amended it since Act 168  
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/168
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Also makes for a fun day when I go for a quick hike

I've seen people shooting on public land, however that's when I 180 and go the fuck somewhere else far away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
To go shoot in the forest, you need to go up to Cheqauauamogen and Nicolet forests..  Those are fed land.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Public land around here generally all have signs posted saying "no target shooting".
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a fan of target shooting on public land anyway...It's almost impossible to ensure there is nobody downrange.  I would be less concerned if I could find a decent hill side and was shooting pistols...

But yeah, target shooting on DNR managed land is illegal to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To go shoot in the forest, you need to go up to Cheqauauamogen and Nicolet forests..  Those are fed land.
View Quote

While it is legal, they are very strict about "littering". Leave nothing behind, and I do mean NOTHING! No targets - nor fragments thereof - nor shell casings. Years ago, when I asked about the legality of target shooting on the forest, I was even directed to several spots that have safe backdrops... but was told in no uncertain terms about their littering policy.

I know of several impromptu "ranges" in the Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest, but none are long range (50-60yds at most). Don't know if it's legal or not, but I do know it's ongoing, and don't know of anyone who has been cited. But these forests are huge, and where the target shooting is taking place isn't anywhere near any hiking trails or camp grounds etc. One is in an abandoned gravel pit, another is on land that used to belong to Wisconsin Valley Improvement and was recently sold to the state (now part of NHAL State Forest).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top