Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 3:28:30 PM EDT
Getting older, eyes going bad, hard to pickup sight gap with progressive lens

All my target rifles have aperture sights and I do well with them, so I have been looking at ghost ring sights for my G34.

Anyone with experience they can share?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be time to buy an RDS.

A ghost ring sight is a goofy assed idea for a pistol (no offense).
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I put one on a G17. Didn't like it, although I'm a big fan of them on rifles (got Williams peeps on both my Marlins - 336/.35 Rem, 1895G/.45-70 - and I've got them on my AKs too).

I took it off the G17 after about a month, put TruGlo TFOs on instead. Much better, so I put TFOs on my G19 as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
i've got one on my g17
it's ok, but to be honest i haven't put enough rounds through it to make a solid decision either way
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried a set several years ago, for shooting USPSA, but, found that I had a tendency to put the front sight on the target, and pull the trigger, regardless if the front sight was centered in the rear. I have switched back to irons, with fiber optic inserts in some pistols, but, I had a scpeial perscription set of shooting glasses made so the front sight is focused. Otherwise, I can use the center lens in my tri-focals.
Other pistols have red dot sights on them. With a red dot, you focus on the target, and when you subconciously see the dot where you want the bullet to go, you pull the trigger. The hardest part of shooting a dot sight, is finding the dot. It took me a LOT of draws, to consistintly get the perfect grip, and draw to see the dot every time. Make sure you practice weak hand only too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
You discovered correctly. If they were worth putting on handguns you'd see someone in USPSA using them.

For rifles and shotgu ns they can work great. For little handguns not so much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: If they were worth putting on handguns you'd see someone in USPSA using them.
View Quote

Thanks guys, that is what I thought. I was looking at the Dawson Precision fixed sights.

https://dawsonprecision.com/1-seller-dawson-precision-glock-fixed-competition-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-fixed-competition-sight-set-fiber-optic-rear-fiber-optic-front/

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Those might work but depending on your vision I'd try them out on a buddy's handgun first.

If you just need something stupid obvious easy to see you might want to consider Trijicon HD's or XS Big dots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO a better site that is similar to the set you linked, are Warrens.  The all black rear site and large notch set you up well on the front site.  It's a bit more robust too.  I am talking about the Warren tritium front sight.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You might want to check out the XS Sights Big Dots.  Very easy to pickup and IMHO would be better than ghost rings.  
https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys,
I have the BIG DOT sights on 2 handguns, a small Glock and a J frame. While they are fast, the don't lend themselves to shooting small groups at 15+yards.

I wanted to shorten the learning curve and see what has been (and not been) working for others. One tool I used was the yearly "Equipment Surveys" that the IDPA puts out to the run and gun crowd. That is where I saw that a large percentage of them were running Dawson's products.

The pistol I will be put the sights on is a range/fun gun not a life saving defensive weapon so low light target acquisition is not a requirement. On that note: are there others out there that find 3 dot sights to be a "lot of clutter" when trying to fire quickly?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I only had issues with my stock sights since they were all the same size and color (I eventually blacked out the rears with a sharpie). No issues with a properly developed index using HD's for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the stock sights on Kahr handguns. White dot on the front, single white vertical line on the rear. You just "dot the i" . I colored the vertical line with a bright green highlighter sharpie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top