Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2016 2:01:53 PM EDT
coyote hunter shoots dogs

Don't read the comments from the libtards that infest this area if you are prone to high blood pressure.  The woman said she had reflective vests on the dogs.  I could see how letting your dogs run without a leash, at night in some public forest may may not be the most responsible thing to do, but I'm still hung up on the reflective vest thing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not following you.  She responsibly had reflective vests on dogs out at night so that they would not get hit by a car.  With or without vests, there is no excuse for the hunter shooting the dogs.  I foresee a big vet bill in his future.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am not following you.  She responsibly had reflective vests on dogs out at night so that they would not get hit by a car.  With or without vests, there is no excuse for the hunter shooting the dogs.  I foresee a big vet bill in his future.  
View Quote

And the guy should never be allowed to hunt again. If he is that stupid to tell the difference between a dog with a reflective vest and a coyote....
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I would like to see these "vests".

If I saw dogs running the woods at night in a state parks, I might assume they were feral.  In farm country, wild dogs are a very bad thing.  We do not like them.  He probably thought he was doing a good thing, not realizing some hippy just lets her dogs run loose in the woods at night unsupervised.  It is just as much her fault as his.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

Don't walk your dogs at night on public land where coyote hunters might be...

This is like not looking when you walk into a cross walk...sure you have the right of way, and are in the 'legal right' however, you're still an idiot begging to get hurt.

Comments make me fear for the future of this country...so much mental illness out there it's now being considered 'normal'.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It really sucks that this happened, and I almost know the person who this happened to.  Another member here knows this person and has petted those dogs as well, so please be nice.

Having said that, I feel terrible for them, and I wish she didn't have to learn the hard way of idiots on public hunting grounds.  

Yes it was a mistake to walk dogs on public hunting land at dusk during prime coyote season, but it is also a mistake to shoot two dogs wearing vests and lights out for a walk.

If you can't tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf, deer, dog, person, cow etc you shouldn't be coyote hunting.  Be sure of your target and beyond was not followed.

Many times I have been hunting on both private and public lands and you never know who could be walking by you unknowingly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If I saw dogs running the woods at night in a state parks, I might assume they were feral.  In farm country, wild dogs are a very bad thing.  We do not like them.  He probably thought he was doing a good thing, not realizing some hippy just lets her dogs run loose in the woods at night unsupervised.  It is just as much her fault as his.
View Quote

You may not "like" dogs, but that does not make it any less illegal to shoot them no matter how much you may try and rationalize doing so by telling yourself they are "feral" and need to be shot. Most all of the time they are actually someone's pet you are killing.    This incident was 110% the fault of the man squeezing the trigger.  He can legally only shoot Coyote, not Wolf and not any of the domesticated dog breeds which makes it incumbent upon him to identify his prey.  What makes her a hippy?  Do only hippies own dogs as pets?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it legal to shoot feral dogs on state land?

Did hunter not see white light nearby?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You may not "like" dogs, but that does not make it any less illegal to shoot them no matter how much you may try and rationalize doing so by telling yourself they are "feral" and need to be shot. Most all of the time they are actually someone's pet you are killing.    This incident was 110% the fault of the man squeezing the trigger.  He can legally only shoot Coyote, not Wolf and not any of the domesticated dog breeds which makes it incumbent upon him to identify his prey.  What makes her a hippy?  Do only hippies own dogs as pets?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect you own a dog.

I like dogs.  I have a dog.  He is 11 years old and his name is Boomer, and I would miss him if he disappeared.  But I would know that he was probably chasing the neighbor's animals which can cause thousands of dollars in damages and is unacceptable.  I do not let him roam around in state parks by himself at night, either.  We keep track of the dogs in my neck of the woods. There are many coyotes that are interbred with dogs, and can look a lot like domesticated animals.  A whole lot like them.  But the neighbors police up their dogs after dark, due to the coyote problem.  

It's not rocket surgery; keep track of your dogs in an area where people can hunt animals that look a lot like dogs.  People are getting way too emotional about this.  The hunter did do a bad thing, but the owner did a dumb thing.  I also find the fact that 911 was called for an animal unacceptable.  And the fact that they made that other dog suffer for days trying to "save it" with "surgery" is disgusting.  The vet should have known it was a lost cause.  Dogs are not people, they are animals.

Hippies are not the only people with dogs as pets, but they seem to be the only ones who refuse to take responsibility for their own pets, or their own actions.  If this was a pet deer shot during deer season, we would be seeing the same bs.  "Oh, but he should have known it was a red tailed yeller throated southern mountain deer...  You can deny it, but it's true.  It would not get as much attention, but the people involved would all act exactly the same.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I suspect you own a dog.

I like dogs.  I have a dog.  He is 11 years old and his name is Boomer, and I would miss him if he disappeared.  But I would know that he was probably chasing the neighbor's animals which can cause thousands of dollars in damages and is unacceptable.  I do not let him roam around in state parks by himself at night, either.  We keep track of the dogs in my neck of the woods. There are many coyotes that are interbred with dogs, and can look a lot like domesticated animals.  A whole lot like them.  But the neighbors police up their dogs after dark, due to the coyote problem.  

It's not rocket surgery; keep track of your dogs in an area where people can hunt animals that look a lot like dogs.  People are getting way too emotional about this.  The hunter did do a bad thing, but the owner did a dumb thing.  I also find the fact that 911 was called for an animal unacceptable.  And the fact that they made that other dog suffer for days trying to "save it" with "surgery" is disgusting.  The vet should have known it was a lost cause.  Dogs are not people, they are animals.

Hippies are not the only people with dogs as pets, but they seem to be the only ones who refuse to take responsibility for their own pets, or their own actions.  If this was a pet deer shot during deer season, we would be seeing the same bs.  "Oh, but he should have known it was a red tailed yeller throated southern mountain deer...  You can deny it, but it's true.  It would not get as much attention, but the people involved would all act exactly the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect you own a dog.

You are out of line and don't even have the facts straight.  They were out for a dog walk.

They hunter was at major fault here. It just have easily could have been someone out hunting with their dogs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 I do not let him roam around in state parks by himself at night, either.  We keep track of the dogs in my neck of the woods. There are many coyotes that are interbred with dogs, and can look a lot like domesticated animals..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 I do not let him roam around in state parks by himself at night, either.  We keep track of the dogs in my neck of the woods. There are many coyotes that are interbred with dogs, and can look a lot like domesticated animals..

Didn't even bother to read the article.   Believes Coyotes wander around the woods at night with reflective vests..        
all of them had on reflective vests and she had on a headlamp.  She was walking with her four dogs named Helmet, Rufus, Frannie and Gary. She says she was on a trail south of Stoughton when the dogs went around the corner ahead of her, and she heard two gunshots.

Frannie and Gary were both shot by a coyote hunter.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Sooooo, have you guys read the update?  The one where the DNR spends most of their time telling people to pay attention and control their dogs?  

I have not seen these "reflective vests", but I'd be willing to bet that they are not visible from certain angles.  Even less at night if they are the ones in the video, in which that one dog looks a lot like a coyote.  And again, who lets dogs run around freely at night in places where you can hunt coyotes (which strikingly resemble dogs) at night?  Both of these people made bad decisions.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]
What a sad thing to have happen.  I have two dogs, and they are like family to me.  I also hunt coyotes.  So I'm pretty well represented by both sides of this situation.

I'm sorry to say that I have no good words for the hunter.  The dogs had reflective vests on.  He didn't make sure of his targets.  And it shows a lack of judgment (in my opinion) hunting coyotes on public land in low or no light.  Some may disagree.  I just wouldn't do it.

I also don't think that I'd walk my dogs in low light or in the dark on public land, unless I had them leashed, or electronically collared, and kept them close.  Particularly this time of year.  But the dogs shouldn't have been shot.

Again, others may see things differently.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the guy was a moron, but..... all this talk about "reflective" vests is, well, dumb. What were they supposed to reflect? Moonlight? Those are designed for protection against getting hit by vehicles if a dog is on a road, and they reflect headlights. If they are not a bright color like blaze orange, they are useless in the woods at dusk.

When walking our Lab after dark, she wears this on her collar. $7 at Home Depot, and I've had it 2 years and haven't needed a battery yet. My Lab, and hunting partners Lab, also wear those in the early morning hours while duck hunting, while we're going to the blind and setting up decoys. Nobody is gonna shoot at our dogs, but we can keep track of where they are at all times because of the prevalence of coyotes & wolves where we hunt. Mine is red, his dog's is green. Lots of cool stuff at that website, lighted (by LEDs) collars are even better. If walking your dog after dark, they protect you too. And they're probably cheaper than a vest.

eta: I also hunt coyotes... and nobody loves dogs more than I do. He was wrong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I think it is a safe bet the hunter knew he was shooting dogs.  Look at all the things he had to have missed or supposedly did wrong.  The average, fair weather hunter does not head out in late January to night hunt predators.

I grouse hunted off and on right up to the last day of January.  Snow or no snow, I don't let my dogs go around bends in the trails.  When they run parallel in the woods I tend watch and listen even more in winter.  I do it because of wolves and coyote but I look for sign of hunters too.  If this woman didn't know there were hunters in the woods, odds are she is oblivious to the wolves as well.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#15]
After seeing a pic of said dogs with their vests, they sure don't look like coyotes to me.  And the vests are very conspicuous.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
After seeing a pic of said dogs with their vests, they sure don't look like coyotes to me.  And the vests are very conspicuous.
View Quote

Are there pictures online? I haven't been able to find any.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Lesson to take away from the story: there's stupid assholes everywhere, keep an eye out for them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, hunter was a moron.

BUT, in the article they claim it was a state park, which it is not, it's a public hunting grounds or wildlife area, forget which. Either way, hunting is allowed on it, and it's a popular hunting spot, with public hunting grounds signs all around it.

2nd it sounds like the dogs were unleashed and she didn't have "control" of her dogs, since it say the dogs went around a corner ahead of her (blind spot), far enough ahead of her that the hunter had time to take aim and shoot at 2 dogs before seeing a human (if he saw her at all before hearing her0

3rd, it must have been dusk or after sun down, since the owner was wearing a headlamp. The reflective vests only work if there is light to reflect. Even if it was dusk, there probably wasn't any light to reflect. If I remember that place right, it's mostly high grass, weeds, and brush. how would any light even at dusk reach the vests?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were on the facebook, taken from her fb page.  can't find the thread now.,

ETA:  nbc15.com is the station that had the pic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

3rd, it must have been dusk or after sun down, since the owner was wearing a headlamp. The reflective vests only work if there is light to reflect. Even if it was dusk, there probably wasn't any light to reflect. If I remember that place right, it's mostly high grass, weeds, and brush. how would any light even at dusk reach the vests?
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. Why was she wearing a headlamp if it wasn't night time? Was it turned on?

Not making excuses for the shooter, but shit happens. I'm betting it was dark and the vests couldn't be seen, and I'm sure if he thought dogs were being walked in the area, after dark in the dead of winter, he'd have been more cautious. Even blaze orange is not very visible in the absence of any light. And when hunting coyotes at night, DNR regs prohibit hunters from using a light to "search" for game, but a light may be used "at point of kill" only.

Too late for those dogs now, but a LED light on the dogs themselves might've probably would've prevented this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-SpotLit-Standard-Packaging-Flashlight-in-White-SLG-03-02/203002205

And now we have Chippewas hunting deer at night up north too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]
My dog has a red light we clip onto his collar.  The bone head sometimes grabs it and carries it in his mouth though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure coon hunting is legal at night, they use hound dogs...not a good assumption.  Also bird dogs get separated from their owners from time to time, same thing...not a good assumption.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

This is like not looking when you walk into a cross walk...sure you have the right of way, and are in the 'legal right' however, you're still an idiot begging to get hurt.

Comments make me fear for the future of this country...so much mental illness out there it's now being considered 'normal'.
View Quote
She LET THEM RUN LOOSE at night.

And, in the article complained about dragging one out of the swamp, so it was off-trail at the time.

No sympathy for her at all, some for the dogs for having a dumb owner.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And, in the article complained about dragging one out of the swamp, so it was off-trail at the time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

Agreed.  But as a hunter, my #1 rule is to absolutely 100% know my target.  Which is why I shoot coyotes with a light when I hunt at night, so I can identify my target for sure before I let a round fly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Agreed.  But as a hunter, my #1 rule is to absolutely 100% know my target.  Which is why I shoot coyotes with a light when I hunt at night, so I can identify my target for sure before I let a round fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

This is it. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your muzzle. Period.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

That's a bit of a stretch.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

The dogs were running loose.  They were obviously not on a leash and were far enough away from the owner to get shot without the hunter seeing the owner.

I'm not sure how that's a stretch...seems like factual information from the story.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

Yes, know your target and what is beyond.

I am not seeing a lack of, or misplaced criticism of the hunter. He or she is getting about as much as deserved.

LOTS of people are propping the dumb bitch up as some sort of victim of evil.  Whereas, she's dumb, and being dumb is a direct and necessary cause of the dogs death. The dogs are the only victims here... of her dumbness, carelessness and the hunter's lack of safe and responsible hunting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a stretch.  She was walking down a trail.  The hunter shot from "the swamp" at the trail.  If you read the story, the dog ran to the hunter after it was shot.  
"Gary ran up to the hunter [after he was shot]," said Deanna.
 The dog then became paralyzed after it ran up to the hunter.  The dogs were only far enough ahead of her to go around a corner.   The hunter was on public land and not hunting during "normal" hunting hours.  The hunter made a mistake by not correctly identifying his target.  Not everyone is a hunter and many hunters do not realize that coyote hunting after dark is legal.   While her ignorance contributed to the dog's death, she was being reasonable by utilizing a nature trail for recreation in January,  after dusk.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Definitely a stretch.  She was walking down a trail.  The hunter shot from "the swamp" at the trail.  If you read the story, the dog ran to the hunter after it was shot.  
 The dog then became paralyzed after it ran up to the hunter.  The dogs were only far enough ahead of her to go around a corner.   The hunter was on public land and not hunting during "normal" hunting hours.  The hunter made a mistake by not correctly identifying his target.  Not everyone is a hunter and many hunters do not realize that coyote hunting after dark is legal.   While her ignorance contributed to the dog's death, she was being reasonable by utilizing a nature trail for recreation in January,  after dusk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Letting dogs run loose in a nature preserve isn't legal.  She was committing a crime at the time her dogs were shot, a crime directly related to them getting shot in the first place.

On the same spectrum as, and quite close to, letting your pit bull run loose in the neighborhood only to get shot for being a dick to somebody.

Just because the dogs were fluffy and she thought she was alone, doesn't make it any less of a crime.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Letting dogs run loose in a nature preserve isn't legal.  She was committing a crime at the time her dogs were shot, a crime directly related to them getting shot in the first place.  

On the same spectrum as, and quite close to, letting your pit bull run loose in the neighborhood only to get shot for being a dick to somebody.

Just because the dogs were fluffy and she thought she was alone, doesn't make it any less of a crime.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh wow.  

Not sure if trolling or stupid....

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I certainly hope you are not serious and are just trolling for the sake of an argument.  Unrestrained animals  walking with their owner = Animals loose and unattended attacking someone?    
Quoted:
She was committing a crime at the time her dogs were shot, a crime directly related to them getting shot in the first place.

No crime was committed by the woman but shooting a dog is potentially a criminal act.
174.01 (1)  Killing a dog.
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), a person may intentionally kill a dog only if a person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and:
1. Other restraining actions were tried and failed; or
2. Immediate action is necessary     (3) Liability and penalties. A person who violates this section:
(a) Is liable to the owner of the dog for double damages resulting from the killing;
(b) Is subject to the penalties provided under s. 174.15;(174.15  Penalty. Any person who violates this chapter shall be fined not more than $500 or imprisoned up to 60 days or both). and
(c) May be subject to prosecution, depending on the circumstances of the case, under s. 951.02. . .
Obviously his defense is that he did not intentionally kill a dog as he believed it to be a Coyote.   Regarding the woman's actions, perhaps you should take the time to actually look up the Statute or Administrative Code before you proclaim something as a criminal act. During those times it is required, it is a simple forfeiture of $293.25 and not a crime.  
NR 17.08(2) Prohibitions.
(a) Department lands. On department lands open to public hunting that are not designated open to dog trialing under s. NR 17.10, dogs shall be controlled by a person using a leash which is no more than 8 feet in length from April 15 through July 31
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#33]
As a coyote hunter myself, and as a life-long dog owner, IMHO they were both at some degree of fault here. The only "innocent" parties were the dogs themselves.

The hunter wasn't 100% sure of his targets. He fucked up, plain & simple.

The dogs' owner didn't take enough precautions to ensure the safety of her dogs. Reflective vests are useless after dark. She should've known this, even if she had no idea that someone would be legally hunting after dark in a hunting preserve. Her naivety doesn't remove partial blame. I know the anti-hunters, even just non-hunters, will say a person (or their pets) has a right to walk around in the dark without getting shot! That's true. But a person has the right to walk across the street without getting run over by a bus too... but an intelligent person looks both ways before stepping off the curb.

Everyone in my deer camp wears a LED cap light when going into the woods before dark, and coming back out after hunting hours. We do so NOT so we can see where we're going, but so others (who may "cheat" a little on the legal hunting hours) can readily identify us, even though we're in head-to-toe blaze orange (which we know is useless in the dark, just like reflective vests are). Even non-hunters who live in WI know you don't walk around in the woods during hunting season in a brown fur coat. If you're in an area where someone "might" be hunting, you do everything possible to reasonably insure you don't look like a game animal. That's especially true for pets.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As a coyote hunter myself, and as a life-long dog owner, IMHO they were both at some degree of fault here. The only "innocent" parties were the dogs themselves.

The hunter wasn't 100% sure of his targets. He fucked up, plain & simple.

The dogs' owner didn't take enough precautions to ensure the safety of her dogs. Reflective vests are useless after dark. She should've known this, even if she had no idea that someone would be legally hunting after dark in a hunting preserve. Her naivety doesn't remove partial blame. I know the anti-hunters, even just non-hunters, will say a person (or their pets) has a right to walk around in the dark without getting shot! That's true. But a person has the right to walk across the street without getting run over by a bus too... but an intelligent person looks both ways before stepping off the curb.

Everyone in my deer camp wears a LED cap light when going into the woods before dark, and coming back out after hunting hours. We do so NOT so we can see where we're going, but so others (who may "cheat" a little on the legal hunting hours) can readily identify us, even though we're in head-to-toe blaze orange (which we know is useless in the dark, just like reflective vests are). Even non-hunters who live in WI know you don't walk around in the woods during hunting season in a brown fur coat. If you're in an area where someone "might" be hunting, you do everything possible to reasonably insure you don't look like a game animal. That's especially true for pets.  
View Quote

I agree. I find as a hunter I am much harder on hunters than non hunters when it comes to these things. As hunters we need take special precautions to avoid accidents like this. When a non hunter makes a mistake, it doesn't make all of them look bad. When a hunter screws up, it gives us all a black eye.They both screwed up. Her dogs should have been leashed. He should have double checked his targets. To me, one mistake is obviously much more severe than the other.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I love coyote hunting. I love my dog. I keep him on lead unless we're on our land and then only when he's close.

That said, if a hunter shot those dogs thinking they were coyotes, then i don't think he was paying any attention at all and those dogs would have been shot if on a long leash. The owner is lucky she wasn't hit as well. A guy shooting across a trail doesn't seem like someone I'd want to hunt with.

Honestly, I can see the guy being just as likely to shoot the dogs "for being loose/wild etc" and then saying "oh shit" when he saw the headlamp turn the corner.

My in-laws' neighbors had dogs (they lived out in the sticks, but the neighbors were a couple hundred yards from them) that they let run loose. Shitty dogs that would bark and growl at you at your door and injured their smaller dog and ate some chickens. They were lucky those dogs weren't shot. I almost nailed one when it came at me while I was walking our mali (on lead).

That said, unless a loose dog is acting aggressive, I would hate to be the dick to shoot someone's pet that may have got out of the yard or through an open door.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I love coyote hunting. I love my dog. I keep him on lead unless we're on our land and then only when he's close.

That said, if a hunter shot those dogs thinking they were coyotes, then i don't think he was paying any attention at all and those dogs would have been shot if on a long leash. The owner is lucky she wasn't hit as well. A guy shooting across a trail doesn't seem like someone I'd want to hunt with.

Honestly, I can see the guy being just as likely to shoot the dogs "for being loose/wild etc" and then saying "oh shit" when he saw the headlamp turn the corner.

My in-laws' neighbors had dogs (they lived out in the sticks, but the neighbors were a couple hundred yards from them) that they let run loose. Shitty dogs that would bark and growl at you at your door and injured their smaller dog and ate some chickens. They were lucky those dogs weren't shot. I almost nailed one when it came at me while I was walking our mali (on lead).

That said, unless a loose dog is acting aggressive, I would hate to be the dick to shoot someone's pet that may have got out of the yard or through an open door.
View Quote
Not to mention shooting loose or feral dogs is illegal.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah- asking for serious trouble.

I get "she shouldn't have had her dogs runnin loose!" sentiment, but that's not an excuse to shoot dogs that aren't acting violent. Furthermore, the hunter shot with her essentially downrange on the trail. That alone would get me more than a little riled.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#38]
He shot the dogs on purpose, and is lying now that it's a shit storm.
There is no mistaking domestic dogs for coyotes. Especially if you have any experience killing yotes. They behave VERY differently. Domestic dogs are playing and bouncing around outside. Yotes are predators looking for a meal ALL the time. It's like telling children from adults. There's no mixing it up.

I'm betting he shot the dogs because he's an asshole that wanted to teach someone a lesson.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#39]

I hope no one mistakes this guy for a bear and shoots him in his fucking face.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He shot the dogs on purpose, and is lying now that it's a shit storm.
There is no mistaking domestic dogs for coyotes. Especially if you have any experience killing yotes. They behave VERY differently. Domestic dogs are playing and bouncing around outside. Yotes are predators looking for a meal ALL the time. It's like telling children from adults. There's no mixing it up.

I'm betting he shot the dogs because he's an asshole that wanted to teach someone a lesson.
View Quote

None of this has any validity.  You weren't there, yet somehow know exactly what happened.  Nothing like a good knee jerk reaction, maybe we should ban something so this doesn't happen again?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The dogs were running loose.  They were obviously not on a leash and were far enough away from the owner to get shot without the hunter seeing the owner.

I'm not sure how that's a stretch...seems like factual information from the story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of on both sides

Know your target.

Just sayin'

Quoted:

None
of this has any validity.  You weren't there, yet somehow know exactly
what happened.  Nothing like a good knee jerk reaction, maybe we should
ban something so this doesn't happen again?

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#42]
What's your point?

The dogs WERE running loose.  That's a factual statement...had they been leashed, they wouldn't have ran to the hunter that shot them.

Please point out the part of my post that is not factual.

Please explain how "He shot the dogs on purpose, and is lying now that it's a shit storm." is in any way based on factual information'

Nice try...
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Good old fucking ARFCOM...
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Interesting thing is talking about this story to another guy he mentioned he had a buddy once that shot a dog thinking it was a coyote.  I'd bet this happens more often than you'd think.  Also a good possibility these mistakes get the SSS treatment so you aren't going to hear about too many of them.  From my understanding the coyote hunting ban north of 64 during gun deer season was put in place to curb opportunistic deer hunters from shooting wolves.  Mistaken identity among the canis family members isn't unheard of.

I've never hunted coyotes, but from what I hear it's not too easy.  I imagine they don't stand there like the proverbial deer in the headlights if you illuminate them with a light.    
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What's your point?

The dogs WERE running loose.  That's a factual statement...had they been leashed, they wouldn't have ran to the hunter that shot them.

Please explain how "He shot the dogs on purpose, and is lying now that it's a shit storm." is in any way based on factual information'

Nice try...
View Quote
Assumption that the hunter did or did not see or know what he was shooting at and whether he did or did not see or know there was an owner nearby.

Just sayin.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's your point?

Nice try...
View Quote

How many dogs have you offed?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think the guy was a moron, but..... all this talk about "reflective" vests is, well, dumb. What were they supposed to reflect? Moonlight? Those are designed for protection against getting hit by vehicles if a dog is on a road, and they reflect headlights. If they are not a bright color like blaze orange, they are useless in the woods at dusk.

When walking our Lab after dark, she wears this on her collar. $7 at Home Depot, and I've had it 2 years and haven't needed a battery yet. My Lab, and hunting partners Lab, also wear those in the early morning hours while duck hunting, while we're going to the blind and setting up decoys. Nobody is gonna shoot at our dogs, but we can keep track of where they are at all times because of the prevalence of coyotes & wolves where we hunt. Mine is red, his dog's is green. Lots of cool stuff at that website, lighted (by LEDs) collars are even better. If walking your dog after dark, they protect you too. And they're probably cheaper than a vest.

eta: I also hunt coyotes... and nobody loves dogs more than I do. He was wrong.
View Quote

walking after dark anyplace on a public road or anyplace other than your own land....LED lit collars is the only way to go.

Bright orange vests are great for daylight to let hunters know your dogs are not coyotes if they kinda look like yotes....my sable colored shepherd does.
So I am extra careful ....lots of folks who love GSDs do not want sable colored dogs just for this reason.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Hunter has been charged.  Link.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

total B.S. hope he gets off...

Walking at night during hunting season dogs off leash 100 yards away?.....reflective collars work if there is a white light on them....

If he was calling in coyotes he would expect coyotes to come in...

Had he been out during daylight and did the same thing...then I'd be convinced he was a crazy a hole who should be hanged...

But in this case I don't see anything but stupidity on the part of the dog owner
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good, oops doesn't cut it. Don't shoot if you can't see your target. (Why is hunting at night even legal?)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top