Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2016 10:28:27 AM EDT
We want to put fruit trees in this year. Came across a youtube video where a Michigan resident explains that their state conservation dept sells trees cheaply, and your entire order is picked up in a single place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6c5uZMaWOY

I searched for something similar in WI and am not finding it. The DNR has a re-forestation program that sells in minimum lots of 1000 trees or 500 bushes.
There seem to be tree sales at all of the county fair parks in April. Haven't been able to find any details beyond 'Tree Sale' on the parks' calendars.

We have zero experience planting or tending trees, so advice or resource recommendations are helpful.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you spoke with the county forester?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What county are you in?

Last year I bought 200 or so seedlings and transplants in February, and I picked them up in April at the local fairgrounds.

I planted them all in one day by myself.  I am going to buy less trees this year.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Look up your county extension office or land and conservation office.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
or just order them from burpees or something. :D

We enjoy having apple trees on our suburban property, although it's been an ongoing battle with japanese beetles for the last few years. I'm pretty sure someone in the neighborhood is infested and they're finding their way to our trees, cause we treat for grubs.

The dwarf and "superdwarf" varieties make it pretty easy to maintain.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Look up your county extension office or land and conservation office.

Good ideas. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What county are you in?

Last year I bought 200 or so seedlings and transplants in February, and I picked them up in April at the local fairgrounds.
I planted them all in one day by myself.  I am going to buy less trees this year.
View Quote

Washington County.

200 trees would be ridiculous for us right now. I'm thinking in the two dozen range, and wondering if we shouldn't start with only a few, because we don't know what we're doing.
The other side is that it takes fruit trees a while to get established, so I want to start them sooner than later.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.co.washington.wi.us/departments.iml?mdl=departments.mdl&ID=LCD

open the tree and prairie seed program tab
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Washington County.

200 trees would be ridiculous for us right now. I'm thinking in the two dozen range, and wondering if we shouldn't start with only a few, because we don't know what we're doing.

The other side is that it takes fruit trees a while to get established, so I want to start them sooner than later.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What county are you in?

Washington County.

200 was a bit ridiculous, but I was excited.  My trees were about $25/20.

Figure out what type of trees will grow best on your property.  Sandy soil, Marshy soil, shade tolerant/intolerant....etc.

The DNR has tree planting tips on the website somewhere.  Those tips helped me as most of my 200 trees made it to their first winter.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
For only a couple dozen, I would check out Jung's in Randolph and buy the bare root trees in the spring.  I had great success with those trees in both Ozaukee and Marquette County.  They will be around $20-30 for 3-5 foot tree that is ready to produce fruit in as little as 4 years.  Save your receipt and you can return any trees that died.  I would strongly recommend wrapping the bottom 6" of any fruit tree to prevent mice/rodent damage and possibly even painting the trunk white to prevent winter damage.  

https://www.jungseed.com/

On my family's 80 acres in Marquette County, we would buy 1000 short or long needle pine trees every year for probably 10 years.  You wouldn't believe the amazing deer bedding we have now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top