Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2015 12:52:32 PM EDT
We are looking to relocate for better jobs and a better life.   Hows the area school wise and job wise?  Wife has two bachelors degree's and I do gunsmith work..   I know my profile says WI but I'm in IL..  just hate IL that much LOL
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Low crime for the city, good schools, expensive property and taxes.  I grew up in Shorewood right next to Whitefish Bay.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to Dominican High School so I spent some time in the area.  High real estate prices and property taxes but it is a nice area.  Less than ten minutes from downtown and right on the lakefront.  Plenty of amenities and easy access to the freeway system.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Love Whitefish Bay.  Beautiful city with great schools  plenty of amenities to offer.  Very close to Milwaukee (some consider this a good thing and some consider it bad).  

Almost purchased a house there when we moved from Chicago, but decided that Ozaukee County just a little further north offered a lot more house and property for the money.  Much lower taxes too.  I can still be downtown in 30 minutes or less.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm work at a WFB school.  The community is great.  It's next to the lake.  Shopping is nice.  The high school was ranked #1 in the state for academics.  Great sports programs for kids.  It's a very affluent community.  The price per square foot in the housing market is among the highest in the area.  (Not a lot of house for the $ as compared to other communities.)  The property taxes are also among the highest in the area.  It's a great place to raise a family.  If you can afford it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love Whitefish Bay.  Beautiful city with great schools  plenty of amenities to offer.  Very close to Milwaukee (some consider this a good thing and some consider it bad).  

Almost purchased a house there when we moved from Chicago, but decided that Ozaukee County just a little further north offered a lot more house and property for the money.  Much lower taxes too.  I can still be downtown in 30 minutes or less.
View Quote

We did the Exact same thing.  :).
I'm in Whitefish Bay right now,  

. My son's football game.   Grafton. Vs Whitefish.   It's. 32 14. Grafton.  

Some gorgeous old stone homes here.   Downside is it puts you a mile from the north side of Milwaukee...  Home invasion and heroin central.    I'll stay in Grafton.....

Edit;  the highschool is really nice.   Huge campus for where it is.  

This town is a little oasis it appears.   I can't say anything bad about it, but I'm a visitor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Some gorgeous old stone homes here.   Downside is it puts you a mile from the north side of Milwaukee...  Home invasion and heroin central.    I'll stay in Grafton.....

This town is a little oasis it appears.   I can't say anything bad about it, but I'm a visitor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I'm just a minute or two west of you.  Love it here.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup.  the land of OZ is the way to go.  Cedarburg is a cute town with great schools as well.  Puts you a half hour out even in "traffic". (Wi traffic is nothing like Chicago) (these folks are nice, unless you run into a " fish or fibber") = that's Illinois people) ... Bastards... best thing we ever did for ourselves and our kid was gtfo of Illinois.  Welcome, if you swim upstream.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup.  the land of OZ is the way to go.  Cedarburg is a cute town with great schools as well.  Puts you a half hour out even in "traffic". (Wi traffic is nothing like Chicago) (these folks are nice, unless you run into a " fish or fibber") = that's Illinois people) ... Bastards... best thing we ever did for ourselves and our kid was gtfo of Illinois.  Welcome, if you swim upstream.
View Quote

What part of Illinois were you in before you moved?  

We lived in Bartlett for the last 12 years in Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Howdy neighbor!  I'm from McKinley Park

I lived in West Chicago / St. Charles for a few years later on too.  We had my son, looked around for schools, realised we came up to Wi every chance that we had..   And fled.  Bartlett wasn't far from some of my old stomping grounds.  I still visit family in South Elgin when I can, but dred going back down there.  I pass that last toll and remember why I left.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I lived in West Chicago / St. Charles for a few years later on too.  We had my son, looked around for schools, realised we came up to Wi every chance that we had..   And fled.  Bartlett wasn't far from some of my old stomping grounds.  I still visit family in South Elgin when I can, but dred going back down there.  I pass that last toll and remember why I left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Had we stayed in Illinois, we were looking at a new development in St. Charles west of Randall Road.  Glad we decided to make the move to Wisconsin. Still miss Lou Malnatti's pizza, Portillo's and Chinese food from Lin's Gardens in St. Charles.  

Our old school district in Bartlett has gone down the crapper from what I understand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm work at a WFB school.  The community is great.  It's next to the lake.  Shopping is nice.  The high school was ranked #1 in the state for academics.  Great sports programs for kids.  It's a very affluent community.  The price per square foot in the housing market is among the highest in the area.  (Not a lot of house for the $ as compared to other communities.)  The property taxes are also among the highest in the area.  It's a great place to raise a family.  If you can afford it.
View Quote

Wow never thought I would run into someone that works in the schools here!! My daughter goes to Richards. Are you the only pro gun person in the system? I'm guessing there are not many.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear the fire department in Grafton is trouble... that's why I like working there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Any of you Ozaukee Cty / Illinois Transplants shoot at Saukville by any chance?  

Might be a good place to meet up, shoot a bit and share horror stories of life in Illinois.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top