BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AFAIK, once a passed bill hits his desk for signature, he has a certain amount of time to act on it... either sign it, or veto it. If he does nothing, it becomes law when the time limit has expired (takes effect 24hrs after published in State Journal, unless there's a specific date in the bill for it to take effect, like the ccw bill had to wait until Nov.1st after he signed it in July).

I want to say 7 days is that time limit for action, but I could be wrong. I remember back in 2006, we were all waiting on Doyle to act on the newly passed CCW bill... he waited until the last day to veto it.

edit: I looked it up... he has 6 days (not including Sunday) to act on a bill. No action after 6 days, it becomes law without his signature.

View Quote

Does anyone know if there's a specific date in the switchblade bill, or will I be able to order a switchblade next week?  :D
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see one. Worst case scenario, given the timeline of the process and barring a veto, it'll be in effect by the end of next week.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/related/amendments/ab142/asa1_ab142
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AFAIK, once a passed bill hits his desk for signature, he has a certain amount of time to act on it... either sign it, or veto it. If he does nothing, it becomes law when the time limit has expired (takes effect 24hrs after published in State Journal, unless there's a specific date in the bill for it to take effect, like the ccw bill had to wait until Nov.1st after he signed it in July).

I want to say 7 days is that time limit for action, but I could be wrong. I remember back in 2006, we were all waiting on Doyle to act on the newly passed CCW bill... he waited until the last day to veto it.

edit: I looked it up... he has 6 days (not including Sunday) to act on a bill. No action after 6 days, it becomes law without his signature.

View Quote

This is true. You also have to remember that legislative leadership will not send the governor a bill he won't sign. It looks very bad to have a governor veto a republican bill. The final hurdle for bills in our legislature is to have the bill scheduled for the floor in both chambers. Once a bill makes the floor on both houses it is a done deal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I sure wish they would make a priority to allow CCL holders to pull into the driveway of a school to drop off and pick up their kids and not have to worry about being pinched for a felony for doing it. Sure, carrying a switchblade is cool, and you now don't have to worry about catching a misdemeanor for doing so, but there are more important things they should have concentrated on first.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I sure wish they would make a priority to allow CCL holders to pull into the driveway of a school to drop off and pick up their kids and not have to worry about being pinched for a felony for doing it. Sure, carrying a switchblade is cool, and you now don't have to worry about catching a misdemeanor for doing so, but there are more important things they should have concentrated on first.
View Quote

+1  

If you carry daily, CCW can be a major problem when you have kids in school and various school activities throughout the week.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regarding this bill, it sure would help if there were a way to get the "dis-information" on it corrected. The Liberal "Spin" machine is in high gear as soon as the words "gun" & "school" are used in the same paragraph. Every single news story I've heard about this bill cries about "guns in schools, guns in schools, OMG are they NUTS!!".

Nowhere is it mentioned, about those with permits carrying in their own vehicle on school "grounds", as in your scenario above... which is the real intent of the proposed law. It does give school districts the "option" to allow ccw in buildings, but does not mandate that it be allowed in school buildings, like the public is being lead to believe by the "sky-is-falling" liberal media spin-machine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does anyone know if there's a specific date in the switchblade bill, or will I be able to order a switchblade next week?  :D
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I jumped the gun. Hehe

Ultratech inbound
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ultratech inbound
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ultratech inbound
Get a tracking number yet?  Since this is a new law, they might not ship to you yet.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a tracking number yet?  Since this is a new law, they might not ship to you yet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ultratech inbound

In hand. No issues.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know if this will also lift the ban on butterfly knives?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone know if this will also lift the ban on butterfly knives?
View Quote

Yes... because butterfly knives were just classified under switchblades to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In hand. No issues.
View Quote

Where did you order from? I'm looking at either an ultratech or troodon
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In hand. No issues.

Bladeops.com has a good selection. Bladehq as well. Just depends what style you want. I don't like the new tri grip ultratechs. Blade ops had a good assortment of the classic style.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bladeops.com has a good selection. Bladehq as well. Just depends what style you want. I don't like the new tri grip ultratechs. Blade ops had a good assortment of the classic style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In hand. No issues.

Ugh. I can't decide. I might have to get two.

Also, there has not been a date set for signing yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Now I can finally get my FBI benchmade infidel fixed since they wouldn't mail it back to WI before
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have we seen any blade length restrictions in the wording anywhere?
View Quote

I will check but I am under the assumption that knife will have no qualifiers under the bill. Remember that the bill includes statewide preemption as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I will check but I am under the assumption that knife will have no qualifiers under the bill. Remember that the bill includes statewide preemption as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, thank goodness it included preemption.  We all know which localities love to impose their own "restrictions" to the peons.

Not much knowledge of auto knives myself, now I must research something in the $100-$150 range to add to my collection :) :)

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ah, thank goodness it included preemption.  We all know which localities love to impose their own "restrictions" to the peons.

Not much knowledge of auto knives myself, now I must research something in the $100-$150 range to add to my collection :) :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

I remember doing a ride along with a cop who flipped out because some dude he stopped for riding a bike with no helmet and no lights, had a 3.5in pocket folder.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Isn't today the last day for Walker to sign it, before it becomes law without his signature? I wonder if he isn't going to sign it, just to avoid the controversy associated with the subject.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Isn't today the last day for Walker to sign it, before it becomes law without his signature? I wonder if he isn't going to sign it, just to avoid the controversy associated with the subject.
View Quote

Yes today is the last day. What controversy? It was a unanimous, voice vote pass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes today is the last day. What controversy? It was a unanimous, voice vote pass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By controversy, I meant from the liberal mainstream media in WI. They are going to attack everyone who supported it, just as they did with concealed carry. "There will be blood running in the streets". Although Walker doesn't seem to care much about what the media thinks of him, and hasn't shied away from controversial positions in the past. It just seems strange that he hasn't signed it yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Amazon sells autos and have always delivered to WI from what I understand but you need to do research so not to fall for fakes. BladeHQ wanted a confirmation phone call before mailing to WI from what I understand and Bladeops would mail with no extra shenanigans again, for what I understand.

A case was fought and won when a Wisconsin judge ruled owning a switch blade IN THE HOUSE was not a crime because it was used for self defense in the home.  I don't have the details but remember it was an important win.  

I like the Microtech Makora 2 for the cool factor and the Scarab Executive with a plain edge for EDC.

I also like the Benchmade serum Axis Duel-Action Auto 5400 for EDC because it looks like a normal folder with no extra button to activate.
It's on Amazon for $212.50

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I've read on facebook that he is too busy selling his house to pay off his failed presidential run but its okay because he already lives in something called "and evil Koch pocket"

lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

From my non-lawyer research, it looks like the state never had limits on length, just certain localities.  

With this new knife bill that passed, it removes (preempts) the local restrictions, thus my analysis is there is no length limit now.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Isn't today the last day for Walker to sign it, before it becomes law without his signature?
View Quote

Nope. Passed on the 20th after close of regular business hours. He got it on the 21st. 6 days must elapse, Sunday does not count. My math says the 28th, which is Thursday.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nope. Passed on the 20th after close of regular business hours. He got it on the 21st. 6 days must elapse, Sunday does not count. My math says the 28th, which is Thursday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't today the last day for Walker to sign it, before it becomes law without his signature?

The clock does not start ticking until it has been presented to the governor which has not happened yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The clock does not start ticking until it has been presented to the governor which has not happened yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?!  Why the hell hasn't it been presented to him yet?!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the game they play. The clock doesn't start ticking until it's presented to the governor. So if the governor wants to delay a bill signing for any reason (usually to set up a ceremonial signing for high profile news coverage at a specific place & time), the legislature will simply not present it to him until he asks for it. This is, of course, if the governor & legislature's majority control are the same party and they agree on this. IIRC, it was several weeks after the CCW bill was passed before it was ceremonially signed... this is how they set that up and avoided that 6 day clock.... don't let the clock start until he's ready.

I don't know if there's a time limit that the legislature can sit on a passed bill and not submit it for executive approval... if there isn't, there should be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... I keep forgetting that "immediately messaged" doesn't always mean sent to the governor.

In this case, it was an Assembly Bill, passed by the Assembly, then sent to the Senate, which also passed it... but it wasn't their duty to send it to the Guv after passage, they sent it back ("immediately messaged") to the Assembly for them to do so, as it was an Assembly bill that was passed.

Is that about right?

And the Assembly will present it to Walker when he's ready for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#31]
So what was the notification I got last night that said "report correctly enrolled on 1-26-2016"? What does that mean?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So what was the notification I got last night that said "report correctly enrolled on 1-26-2016"? What does that mean?
View Quote

That report is the last step before it is presented to the gov. Sometimes the gov gets the bill the day it is enrolled sometimes it is a few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#33]
The signing isn't going to happen until the week of the 8th at the earliest.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any idea why the delay?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm.... that's better than April 21st (see schedule in link below)... the next "bills sent to governor" isn't scheduled until then. The week of Feb 8th begins the next floor period.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/session
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hmmm.... that's better than April 21st (see schedule in link below)... the next "bills sent to governor" isn't scheduled until then. The week of Feb 8th begins the next floor period.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah well.  At least it's coming.  Not as crazy as the wait time for the original CCW permits when that passed.  Talk about slow days passing and watching the slow clock on that one.

I've never had much a interest in knives/autos, but just having more freedoms with this knife law passage suddenly makes me want to get and carry one "just cuz" :)  Something about rights and not being exercised or something to that effect.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the schedule is ever followed.

The delay is due to a stakeholder in the issue wanting to be at the signing but is away on vacation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The delay is due to a stakeholder in the issue wanting to be at the signing but is away on vacation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, we have to wait to exercise our freedoms so that moron can get his PR?   He should schedule his vacations better.  Besides, weren't those bastages all off for a month for Christmas?  And now he on vacation again?!  I need a job in WI government, apparently..  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#39]
They aren't there to serve the people....
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#40]
He had his pen out..... but AB142 didn't get lucky.

http://walker.wi.gov/newsroom/press-release/governor-scott-walker-signs-21-bills-law

eta: On the plus side... AB 13 was signed yesterday, and 'published' today. (timely return of any "seized" firearms or ammo)
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

http://walker.wi.gov/newsroom/press-release/governor-scott-walker-signs-21-bills-law

eta: On the plus side... AB 13 was signed yesterday, and 'published' today. (timely return of any "seized" firearms or ammo)
View Quote
Good.  It took me something like 6 months to get a Ruger MKII returned after the guy was convicted.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#42]
He is signing it on Saturday (2/6/16) at the NRA / FORCE annual convention in Weston
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#43]
poorly written news story confirming the signing this afternoon.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/walker-to-sign-bill-legalizing-concealed-switchblades/37846384
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He is signing it on Saturday (2/6/16) at the NRA / FORCE annual convention in Weston
View Quote

Cool! Good sign
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the bill that gives right-of-way to large vehicles in roundabouts. The one that puts time limits (on returning seized firearms) is great, too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#46]
So...........is there a blade length limit if I were to open carry a switchblade knife?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know what time the signing is today?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So...........is there a blade length limit if I were to open carry a switchblade knife?
View Quote

No length limit.
No permit needed.
No local government can impose stricter laws then this state law (Milwaukee had a 3" limit that will now be void).
If you can own a gun then you can a carry a knife of any length or style of action.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No length limit.
No permit needed.
No local government can impose stricter laws then this state law (Milwaukee had a 3" limit that will now be void).
If you can own a gun then you can a carry a knife of any length or style of action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No length limit.
No permit needed.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#50]

He signed it!
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top