Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 10:27:14 PM EDT
Would anyone happen to know what a good quality remote start unit would be? Model or brand? Don't need or want an alarm. It would be for my wifes 2007 Ford Taurus. Not looking to spend a fortune.

Has anyone done any installs for them? Is it easy to do or a pita?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a 2006 acura tsx from my gf's sister and she had a python brand installed on it and ive used it numerous times now and it works really good.  Only thing is mine has an alarm but im sure they have ones without them.  The model number is: 7641P.  They have a "start your car with the single push of a button" model that is the 4111P.  Looks like the price is $54.99 on amazon.

Unsure on the install...sorry man
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Installs on newer cars are a pain, I did a couple
After that I've decided to let a pro do it
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Had the cheapest CompuStar installed in my truck.  Buddy has had one for more than a year, no issues.  For modern vehicles, ended up being $220 installed, with $130 (internet pricing) of that being parts,  $90 for me to drop it off and pick it up including lifetime warranty on work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Python, viper, codealarm, clifford are all owned by DEI (directed electronics). Very good quality though. They do recommend they are installed by an authorized shop due to many vehicles require interfaces and programming the modules for specific setups. Used to install them back in the 90s but not even gonna try a newer car.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the info. I want to get something for the wife so it's not so cold for her this winter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
When I bought my sierra a couple years ago (1st automatic Ive owned in nearly 25yrs) I looked at getting one for it.wanted to install myself but the good quality ones wont give you the install manual. Asked a local shop (not a best buy) and was quoted near 600 for a remote start and hook up the power locks to it. Thats 600 bucks I could use for my race bike.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one installed in a 2008 Town and Country at Best Buy for $200ish.  Didn't need to bury one of the fobs in the box to extend range, either.  No issues with it, and very happy, considering I was pretty hesitant with allowing Best Buy to do it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Just talked to my son.  He is having a viper installed on his car by Best Buy.  Real good price plus free install.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Installs on newer cars are a pain, I did a coupleAfter that I've decided to let a pro do it
View Quote

My brother installed on on his truck and likes it.  But, he installed it himself and said he'd never do it again.  "Soooo many wires.....so many wires...."  He was convinced he was going to fry the computer upon first fire, but he got lucky or good.....suggests have someone who knows what they are doing do it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I did it myself for an older Jeep Cherokee and it was a breeze. The newer cars need you to fake the signals that come from the chips mounted in the key, and all sorts of other over complicated BS.

Everything you need is available. The problems that you'll encounter are documented on forums somewhere. It definitely CAN be done, but it's such a PITA that it's simply worth it to pay.

Even though Best Buy has an air of incompetence, it's a good choice, because they are a national chain with deep pockets. If they damage the vehicle you have recourse. They understand this, and it forces them to train people well enough to not damage vehicles.

I bought a nifty unit that has all sorts of stupid features I don't use; like telling me the temp inside the car. All you need it to do is start the car and work the door locks. Ignore upgrades.

I try not to get wrapped up in silly things that make us soft, but we really appreciate the remote start in WI winters. Your fuel bill will go up a few greenbacks, but your wife will know you cherish her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top