Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 6:15:12 PM EDT
Greetings all...
I am curious if anyone knows if it's legal for me to bring a registered SBR into Wisconsin from Illinois to shoot at the Bristol Range in Kenosha?  I assume I could also call the range, but was hoping for some feedback here as well.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
An approved ATF 5320.20 and you're GTG otherwise you need it in a Title I configuration prior to interstate transport.  No paperwork required for Silencers.

All Title II are GTG in WI otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply.  I admit I hadn't heard of this until now, but it doesn't necessarily seem worth the effort for the once or twice a year I might make it up there.  I normally sit in the 100 / 200 yard range with my precision rifle anyway.  I do appreciate the info!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
No paperwork required for silencers except I don't think they can own one in Illinois.  Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota are all states they're not allowed, kind of makes it hard for me to get mine to Oklahoma this fall for a deer hunt!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Silencers are covered like other firearms in FOPA so you are GTG traveling through Mordor et. al. with your can but follow the rules and DON'T GET OUT OF THE BOAT.

In fact, other than da' UP there isn't a way to leave WI without traveling through a state where cans are illegal, so if nothing else you could be like the best test case EVAR.

ETA: Okay so there is the ferry but now that I'm thinking of it how does that work?  Where are the state lines in Lake Michigan?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]
THe ferry is 1/2 mile from my house but it doesn't run in December  If I take it it will be under the rear seat, the police will have no reason to search me and even if they did how many of them would know what it is?  What is the legality of shipping it to myself in Oklahoma?  I know if it was a gun I would not need to ship it to an FFL if it was addressed to me and the person receiving it didn't open it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:ETA: Okay so there is the ferry but now that I'm thinking of it how does that work?  Where are the state lines in Lake Michigan?
View Quote

State lines in Lake Michigan are defined here:  http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28nztuz4452npeqdifq4g53e55%29%29/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-act-267-of-1947.pdf

Illinois territory in the lake doesn't extend any further than the northern land boundary, so stay above 42.5 degrees north and you're fine (which the ferry is well clear of).

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I just wanna give you guys a big ol' internet hug sometimes.

So there you have it, everyone - in order to get out of WI without worrying about your silencer being illegal, TAKE THE FERRY!  I'll let them know they should run those ads.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
from what i understand if your traveling (not stopping) you can freely travel with firearms regardless of type if you can legally own them at your destination.  otherwise there would be no way for anyone to ship magazines to new hampshire since you cannot get there without going through new fart state.

but im not a lawyer.  check with your local nfa lawyer for legal advice.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You are correct - that's what I referred to in FOPA '86.

Caveat: local or state cops are not gonna give a fuck; act as if you are ridin' dirty.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top