Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 3:22:51 AM EDT
Prepare to collect!

LOL - nice couple of inches this morning - people will envy our sound decision making process!

Seriously, be careful out there.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Last I heard (late last week) most lakes up north by me (Vilas, Oneida, Price, etc) still have several FEET of ice. Rivers, and channels between lakes where there's a current, are opening up, but otherwise the lakes are still shore to shore frozen solid.

Forecast for this week = well below normal temps (30s for highs, teens for lows) with occasional periods of snow... we got 4" new snow last night, it's now 20 degrees (making more ice, not melting), town's snow plow just drove past.

It'll take several weeks of 50-60s and some windy days to break up & melt that much ice off the lakes, so some ice on the lakes into mid May is almost certain up here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#2]
14" on Green Lake

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last I heard (late last week) most lakes up north by me (Vilas, Oneida, Price, etc) still have several FEET of ice. Rivers, and channels between lakes where there's a current, are opening up, but otherwise the lakes are still shore to shore frozen solid.

Forecast for this week = well below normal temps (30s for highs, teens for lows) with occasional periods of snow... we got 4" new snow last night, it's now 20 degrees (making more ice, not melting), town's snow plow just drove past.

It'll take several weeks of 50-60s and some windy days to break up & melt that much ice off the lakes, so some ice on the lakes into mid May is almost certain up here.
View Quote

Be interesting to see the effect on real estate this year....
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
14" on Green Lake

V
OUT
View Quote

the Boat launch on the east side is open for quite aways out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm still waiting for spring...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, it's = less than 3 ft of water for 100+ yards out at Sunnside Park (the inlet you are talking about).

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice warm rain and lots of it wouldn't hurt either....on the other hand opening day bikini ice fishing contest might be in order....
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice warm rain and lots of it wouldn't hurt either....on the other hand opening day bikini ice fishing contest might be in order....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it would... unfortunately, we are now under a winter storm watch up north, for wednesday into friday. Possibly another FOOT of spring snow. I just got done banging the back of my satelite dish with the handle from my snow rake to get last night's snow to fall off, so I could watch TV tonight... and the 1st thing I see when I turn on the TV to local news is "winter storm watch now in effect... for the counties of yada yada yada" scrolling across my screen. Tonight's expected low temp... 5 degrees? Seriously?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes it would... unfortunately, we are now under a winter storm watch up north, for wednesday into friday. Possibly another FOOT of spring snow. I just got done banging the back of my satelite dish with the handle from my snow rake to get last night's snow to fall off, so I could watch TV tonight... and the 1st thing I see when I turn on the TV to local news is "winter storm watch now in effect... for the counties of yada yada yada" scrolling across my screen. Tonight's expected low temp... 5 degrees? Seriously?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean a warm soaker over a week's period.....as long as the frost is out of the ground....

I thought it was down here but three inches of rain which we should have easily absorbed flooded over the river and washed out a couple of roads plus mud slides...

But glad at least for now that we are in SW WI rather than NW ....for now....my bud up in Lake Tomahawk is not a happy camper.....I know that..

Cant believe a low of 5 in Eagle River tonight ?....It's April 15 for cryin' out loud.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cant believe a low of 5 in Eagle River tonight ?....It's April 15 for cryin' out loud.
View Quote

They were wrong..... it went down to 1! Land O Lakes was below zero. Already the coldest winter on record up here, insult to injury.

As for snow.... season's snowfall for Rhinelander now stands at 96.6", 2nd most ever recorded. All time record is 107", so we're 10.4" short of a tie.  8-12" is forecast for tomorrow into thursday, we gotta chance to break that one too.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Lakes will be high and the spearing wont be too good......so ya got that goin for ya...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lakes will be high and the spearing wont be too good......so ya got that goin for ya...
View Quote

Spearing is gonna have a late start, game-fishing season will likely be open before the ice is out. That means walleye bag limits won't be adjusted until spearing is done, and that'll be much later than normal this year. Normally, they'd be spearing right now, or at least next week. It was -2 here last night, 27 was the high today... we're still making lake ice, not melting it. They "upped" the expected snow total for tomorrow's storm to 10-14" from hwy 70 north.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Spearing is gonna have a late start, game-fishing season will likely be open before the ice is out. That means walleye bag limits won't be adjusted until spearing is done, and that'll be much later than normal this year. Normally, they'd be spearing right now, or at least next week. It was -2 here last night, 27 was the high today... we're still making lake ice, not melting it. They "upped" the expected snow total for tomorrow's storm to 10-14" from hwy 70 north.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully the Walleyes will spawn under the ice....down here we are running about 10°-15° warmer for both our highs & lows
I hope you guys get some warmer sunny weather real soon....

Hey looks like you will be warming up starting on Mon
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]
If anyone intends to come up north for the fishing opener on May 3rd.... bring your tip-ups.

I woke up to this today.

In the above photo, there's a 4' ruler stuck in the snow... worthy of a close-up.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
LOL - Awesome Rcolt!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOL - Awesome Rcolt!

V
OUT
View Quote

It's fricken "heart attack" snow too... heavy, wet, high moisture content. Plowing my driveway took 3 times longer than a normal 4-8" snowfall.  Schools are all closed, businesses are closed. Highways were a total mess earlier, they're catching up now that it stopped snowing. I had to drive my wife to work at the bank in my 4X4 (banks don't close for snow days), she couldn't even back her Malibu out of the garage.

Only plus side is, we needed 10" to break the old record for seasonal snowfall... I think we shattered it. WTF, might as well set another record.

btw...  I cooked steaks on that grill just 2 days ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#17]
OOf Duh!

that some serious spring snow but Mon you get 60+ & sun

will be looking forward to all that water you are sending our way
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OOf Duh!

View Quote

Yeah well, a week ago they were also saying it'd be in the 50-60s THIS WEEK! Oops, they blew that one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah well, a week ago they were also saying it'd be in the 50-60s THIS WEEK! Oops, they blew that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OOf Duh!

I think trilliums need about 70° to germinate.....so what maybe July?

I see you guys are going to get 7 days in a row above 50° that should just about take care of your snow cover eh?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I see you guys are going to get 7 days in a row above 50° that should just about take care of your snow cover eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OOf Duh!

I don't know what the official high temp was here yesterday, but my digital thermometer (which has proven to be extremely accurate over the years) said it was 72* about 4pm yesterday. Gorgeous day.... sunny and dead calm. The grandkids were here and went sledding on the plow pile, in t-shirts.

54* now as I type this, forecast to be 62-65 or so today. The 17" of new snow that fell last week is a memory, except where it was piled up high by the plows. Very dense fog this morning, caused by all the snow melt. The remaining "old" snow (about 12") is going very fast as well. Bare ground is peeking out everywhere... Spring has finally sprung.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats some good news....pretty hard long winter even more so for you folks above Hwy8

Will be watchin' for all your water coming down here....I'm .5mi from the river
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Whomever put money on ice, they have frozen assets..

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whomever put money on ice, they have frozen assets..

http://www.lslawfirm.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Money-in-ice.jpg
View Quote

Whoever sits on ice with wet pants has same problem
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Went around the lake...No ice...KAAAAHHHHNNNN!

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Went around the lake...No ice...KAAAAHHHHNNNN!

V
OUT
View Quote

Awesome. Our warm spell up north is done for now. Stayed in the 30s, cloudy, all day today. Melting has come to a temporary halt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Is the frost out of the ground yet? water running off or perking in?

If it perks in the lakes that get fed that way should be nice and full this year
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is the frost out of the ground yet? water running off or perking in?

If it perks in the lakes that get fed that way should be nice and full this year
View Quote

Not by a long shot up here. Checked it today with my turkey decoy stakes. They only penetrated about 1-2", then hit solid frozen ground.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#28]
That's too bad.....run off lakes and swamps will get fed so the ducks should have a good spring & summer
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#29]
So why is green lake so special?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spring fed,deep,clear,lots of interesting underwater structure,many public boat landings,large body of water...just about every kinda freshwater fish there is....whats not to like?

That part of the state has been running about 10-15 ° warmer during the day and almost 10° warmer at night for the last month or so.....this translates to
above freezing temps nightly and 50° to 60° for the last three weeks or so for highs....the other day it was 80°+ in the Madison area had to be at least 70° at Green Lake
and sunny....we lost our snow cover three weeks ago or better and had a small amount of snow that melted off the next day...so we had no snow cover reflecting
sunlight aka warmth off the ground so the air warmed up and blew across the ice...advantages northern WI did not have.

We also had a significant rain storm a while back 5+ inches that had to be pretty heavy on top of the lake ice and since then we haven't had any long stretches of significantly
below freezing temps....that ice was doomed to melt...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Spring fed,deep,clear,lots of interesting underwater structure,many public boat landings,large body of water...just about every kinda freshwater fish there is....whats not to like?
That part of the state has been running about 10-15 ° warmer during the day and almost 10° warmer at night for the last month or so.....this translates to

above freezing temps nightly and 50° to 60° for the last three weeks or so for highs....the other day it was 80°+ in the Madison area had to be at least 70° at Green Lake

and sunny....we lost our snow cover three weeks ago or better and had a small amount of snow that melted off the next day...so we had no snow cover reflecting

sunlight aka warmth off the ground so the air warmed up and blew across the ice...advantages northern WI did not have.
We also had a significant rain storm a while back 5+ inches that had to be pretty heavy on top of the lake ice and since then we haven't had any long stretches of significantly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live a short distance from Green Lake.  Just didn't know what made it the state standard to look at for thawing out.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#32]
sure enjoyed our sunny 65 degree weather here today....
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rub it in. 2" snow fell thursday, friday was rainy and low 40s, this morning it's upper 20s & there's snow flurries falling.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Supposed to be a mix of snow and rain here for bass opener..
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Rub it in. 2" snow fell thursday, friday was rainy and low 40s, this morning it's upper 20s & there's snow flurries falling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry didn't mean to rub it in....we had a nice day today got leaves out on my fruit trees....but tonight and this week is gonna be
real crappy high winds colder temps and lots of cold rain all week.

We planted a few more trees today but next week doesnt look like we'll be able to get much done in terms of spring cleanup and new plantings.

Things gotta be looking up here soon heck its gonna be May next week
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Snow flurries again early this morning at sunrise, cold, and windy. Late April, WTF?

I've had a valid turkey tag since wednesday (4/23), and I've had better woods access (and weather) during gun deer. Any unplowed road is still inaccessible because of deep snow drifts and plow banks at the entrances off the highway, and the plowed dirt roads are like gumbo with the frost just now coming out of the ground. I've got 4X4 (and a 8500lb capacity winch on my truck for back-up) but I don't want to "rut up" the roads.

Walking in the woods is like playing hop-scotch over left-over snow drifts. Anywhere there's a heavy canopy of conifers overhead, has calf-deep wet snow. Where the sun shines through, there's patches of bare ground. It's like a checkerboard. On the plus side, haven't found any dead deer yet, and we've been seeing a lot more fresh deer tracks than I thought we would.... and there's no ticks or skeeters.

Lakes are beginning to show some open water near north side shorelines where the sun hits the shore all day, or anywhere there's a current. Rivers are all open, and full to the brim and running fast. My hunting partners live on the south shore of a lake, and ice is still better than a foot thick on their shoreline. We normally put their docks in during 2nd turkey season, and this year we'd need chainsaws to cut holes in the ice. Any open water is full of returning waterfowl. I could've easily shot a limit of mallards and geese yesterday on the Rainbow and the WI river.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Snow flurries again early this morning at sunrise, cold, and windy. Late April, WTF?

I've had a valid turkey tag since wednesday (4/23), and I've had better woods access (and weather) during gun deer. Any unplowed road is still inaccessible because of deep snow drifts and plow banks at the entrances off the highway, and the plowed dirt roads are like gumbo with the frost just now coming out of the ground. I've got 4X4 (and a 8500lb capacity winch on my truck for back-up) but I don't want to "rut up" the roads.

Walking in the woods is like playing hop-scotch over left-over snow drifts. Anywhere there's a heavy canopy of conifers overhead, has calf-deep wet snow. Where the sun shines through, there's patches of bare ground. It's like a checkerboard. On the plus side, haven't found any dead deer yet, and we've been seeing a lot more fresh deer tracks than I thought we would.... and there's no ticks or skeeters.

Lakes are beginning to show some open water near north side shorelines where the sun hits the shore all day, or anywhere there's a current. Rivers are all open, and full to the brim and running fast. My hunting partners live on the south shore of a lake, and ice is still better than a foot thick on their shoreline. We normally put their docks in during 2nd turkey season, and this year we'd need chainsaws to cut holes in the ice. Any open water is full of returning waterfowl. I could've easily shot a limit of mallards and geese yesterday on the Rainbow and the WI river.

View Quote

My buddy lives close to the Rainbow and fishes that a lot was just telling me the same thing....

We got a boat load of raining coming up from the south south west not sure if it will all make it here or head up by you guys....gonna be a interesting week
water wise thats for sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

My buddy lives close to the Rainbow and fishes that a lot was just telling me the same thing....

We got a boat load of raining coming up from the south south west not sure if it will all make it here or head up by you guys....gonna be a interesting week
water wise thats for sure.

Good to hear your seeing deer tracks and no carcasses though...hope the grouse made it through ok too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top