Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 2:02:55 PM EDT
Hey everyone. I see the other threads but those seem to be focused on RMNP.

Constraints:  I have 10, 7 and 3 year old kids and my wife isn't much of an outdoors person.

Day 1:
Mesa Verde (I assume doing the tour that includes Balcony House is the way to go)

Day 2:  1 way on the Durango train and doing the mine tour in Silverton

Day 3:  Driving to Vail and was going to stop and see Box Canyon waterfalls to stretch the legs. Anything else to see on the way?

Day 4:  Vail resort area

Day 5: Vail resort area (drive to Denver that night)

Day 6:  Depart out of Denver in am.

Vail isn't locked down yet and I wanted to go to RMNP, but I'm a little nervous at how long of a drive that is from SW Colorado. I figured that would be better for another trip and do it right.

What do you think? Wanted to focus on outdoor activities (obviously) but can't get to crazy given my kids ages.

I figured my wife would be happy in the Vail area and we could do activities from there.

Horseback riding?
Float trips?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
while it may not be as exciting in the middle of the summer, the hot springs in glenwood are only about an hour west of vail--and you'd get to drive through the canyon (or, you could take a float trip on the colorado through the canyon).  

i don't know anything about vail in the summer, but have a good time!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
After going through Ouray, go to the Black Canyon in Montrose, on the way to Vail!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Why two days in Vail?  ATVing or something?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, for the replies, everyone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why two days in Vail?  ATVing or something?
View Quote
I figured we'd spend a day doing the zip line/ropes course stuff on the mountain and then a day doing something else. I'm open to suggestions as I haven't booked anything in vail.

Is driving through RMNP in a single day worth it? Or should I do that on another trip?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I would check out Crested Butte. It has similar attractions, is more beautiful IMO, and should be a lot less crowded.

ETA: It does get a lot of Texans...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
OP are you staying in hotels? What kind of vehicle do you have?

Quoted:
Day 1:
Mesa Verde (I assume doing the tour that includes Balcony House is the way to go)
This is a lot to see in 1 day!

The train is awesome and well worth your time!

Day 3:  Driving to Vail and was going to stop and see Box Canyon waterfalls to stretch the legs. Anything else to see on the way?
Drive the Million Dollar Highway to Ouray. Visit Yankee Boy Basin. Get Scrap Cookies at Mouse's Chocolates. Overnight in Ouray, Ridgway, or Telluride

Visit Telluride, Bridal Veil Falls, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison (Overnight in Gunnison)

Drive over Monarch Pass, take the monarch pass summit chairlift, get icecream at the gift shop, drive to Poncha Springs, visit Elevation Brewing Co, Drive to Salida - Buena Vista - Fairplay - 285 to Denver

View Quote
Vail Sucks. I have been all over the state and IMO the Southwestern part is the way to go. See more, go to less places IMO. And I would avoid I-70 if at all possible.
Alternatively, Aspen and Maroon Bells and Snowmass are really awesome but expensive and crowded and kind of out of the way.

If you have an extra day that would make Day 5 a lot less packed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Vail Sucks. I have been all over the state and IMO the Southwestern part is the way to go. See more, go to less places IMO. And I would avoid I-70 if at all possible.
Alternatively, Aspen and Maroon Bells and Snowmass are really awesome but expensive and crowded and kind of out of the way.

View Quote
Thanks for this reply! I'm not dead set on Vail. I was just trying to break the drive back to Denver up. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra day. Was planning on taking in hotels and I will be renting a minivan in Durango.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay in Glenwood rather than Vail.  Go to the Glenwood Caverns Park and the pool.  Lots of other stuff to do there as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Normally l would suggest Glenwood Springs, as others have,  but l would avoid it like the plague from now until November.  

Glenwood is replacing the downtown bridge over the river with an all new structure and street set up.  In the next week but no more than two n the old bridge is coming down and all traffic patterns will be totally fubared.  

And since this is the main l-70 exit to Aspen even going up there will be a major hassle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Head to Gunnison or Steamboat both put you in an area where you can go for day trips and see some really nice country with plenty of access to the backcountry and they both have things to do locally. Both areas aren't as touristy as areas along I-70 and being hear since day one it's where I go if not wanting to get off the grid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Another +1 for the black canyon of the Gunnison. Truly awe inspiring.

RMNP I find kind of eh, but then I was ruined since I saw Glacier NP first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Normally l would suggest Glenwood Springs, as others have,  but l would avoid it like the plague from now until November.  

Glenwood is replacing the downtown bridge over the river with an all new structure and street set up.  In the next week but no more than two n the old bridge is coming down and all traffic patterns will be totally fubared.  

And since this is the main l-70 exit to Aspen even going up there will be a major hassle.  
View Quote
Yup best to avoid Glenwood and I-70 through that stretch for now.
My previously posted plan avoids it entirely, you'd be on back highways the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Day 1:
This is a lot to see in 1 day!

The train is awesome and well worth your time!

Drive the Million Dollar Highway to Ouray. Visit Yankee Boy Basin. Get Scrap Cookies at Mouse's Chocolates. Overnight in Ouray, Ridgway, or Telluride

Visit Telluride, Bridal Veil Falls, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison (Overnight in Gunnison)

Drive over Monarch Pass, take the monarch pass summit chairlift, get icecream at the gift shop, drive to Poncha Springs, visit Elevation Brewing Co, Drive to Salida - Buena Vista - Fairplay - 285 to Denver

@djkest

My family thanks you! We had the trip of a lifetime.

Thank you for suggesting to stay in SW Colorado. The San Juans were awesome. We almost followed your itinerary to the letter.

On day one we did the Cliff Palace tour at Mesa Verde. We even made it make to Durango in time to do a family float trip down the Animas River.

On day 3 we did a jeep tour up to Yankee boy basin and that was spectacular. We also hung out at the Ouray pool/hot springs. Ouray was my favorite place. We stayed in Telluride that night.

On the day before departure, we did Monarch pass, the Airforce Academy and ate at the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver.

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ate at the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver.
View Quote
Buckhorn is a great place, a little spendy but great. Had Yak Fillet when I was down there this past spring.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]
So glad you had fun! It's a great area and sounds like you really hit the highlights.  And avoided the I-70 corridor as well. Yankee boy basin is really cool and probably had a bunch of wildflowers to see still this late in the summer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top