Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2017 7:36:37 PM EDT
Looks bad, now the peak 7 neighborhood is evacuated, and they have everybody nearby on pre evac.

If you live up there be safe.  That beetle kill is really going to burn hot.

Denver post

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend who lives there says he thinks they are getting it knocked down from the air.  Hope he is right.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck to my northern brethren.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I am supposed to be headed to Breckenridge this weekend.  Any updates?  Will it be a no go?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn....just got back from there.  Stay safe everyone that lives in the area!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am supposed to be headed to Breckenridge this weekend.  Any updates?  Will it be a no go?
View Quote
They have a lot of FF assets on this fire, today will tell if they can beat the fire.

And it technically is 4 miles N of breck at this time, it was moving toward town yesterday, then the wind shifted and pushed it back on itself.  If the wind cooperates today they should be able to beat it.

Don't cancel yet, see how today goes.  Are you camping or ?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They have a lot of FF assets on this fire, today will tell if they can beat the fire.

And it technically is 4 miles N of breck at this time, it was moving toward town yesterday, then the wind shifted and pushed it back on itself.  If the wind cooperates today they should be able to beat it.

Don't cancel yet, see how today goes.  Are you camping or ?
View Quote
No camping.  Wife coming that wouldn't be tolerated.  Oddly enough I am a firefighter in Texas.  Wildland certified too.  But my plan is to vacation and donate to the local economy.  And hopefully meet up with an arfcommer or two.

I will have my NRA board of director petitions with me for Miami_JBT, Whiskerz, Supermoose, and SCDonttreadonme
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
IDK what to tell you Lug, they have a lot of air support pouring to the fire.  It rained a little today, and the wind has been gusting.   Partial containment is the word. Very partial, 7%.   Fire crowned for a while yesterday.

Been texting a FF friend in breck, he has been on an engine patrolling a nearby evacuation area.  They have put out 3 small spot fires so far.

Of course it will be smokey as hell up there.   I would reschedule if it were me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
And be aware they are intermittent closures of the main highway into breck from frisco while the helos dip water from lake Dillon.

If this fire gets away from them, there is nothing but standing dead timber below treeline.    That damn beetle kill should have been logged out years ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And be aware they are intermittent closures of the main highway into breck from frisco while the helos dip water from lake Dillon.

If this fire gets away from them, there is nothing but standing dead timber below treeline.    That damn beetle kill should have been logged out years ago.
View Quote
Yep I remember all the purple looking trees the last time we were there.  My wife is currently looking at rentals in Red River.  We may divert.  

We decided we will be in Alamosa til Monday then see whether to go to Breckinridge or elsewhere.  

Dang, I really love Breckinridge 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
They got lucky today with the weather and really knocked it down.  It drizzled and the wind was favorable. You might be ok
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
It really is a huge fuel load and one day it will be bad.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]
You could still do Breckenridge, or if you are looking for a nearby safe spot, Fairplay.  The fairplay hotel is pretty cool, if old.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You could still do Breckenridge, or if you are looking for a nearby safe spot, Fairplay.  The fairplay hotel is pretty cool, if old.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG-0143-248289.JPG
View Quote
Asked wife, we are now diverting to Red River.  

My buddies son was called from AZ to Breckenridge to fight fire.  Doesn't sound like anything eminent, but sounds like a could happen.  So we changed plans.  Will be there next year.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Good call.  Anything can happen at this point.  Enjoy the vacation.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good call.  Anything can happen at this point.  Enjoy the vacation.
View Quote
Word is Baldy Mountain is on fire now??  That was one of the reasons.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Lug, they had a small fire now under control on Baldy today .  And several more spot fires now out.  Good call bailing.

They really should have let somebody come harvest that fuel when they could.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]
IF they get the peak 2 fire controlled, those assets will be rolling North 60 miles to the Kremmling fire.  It's burning hard now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IF they get the peak 2 fire controlled, those assets will be rolling North 60 miles to the Kremmling fire.  It's burning hard now.
View Quote
I think I went rafting out of Kremmling.  Good time.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep.
It was a real shitshow. I watched it all happen from my office, slurry bombers, helicopters, the whole bit. Until I went home and packed up my shit. Fire was about a mile and a half from my house. I could see the flames bursting through the trees on my way home. Was evacuated / displaced for 4 days.

I have to say though, it was unbelievable watching perfectly orchestrated govt organizations do their job in an unbelievably efficient way.  And I have nothing but respect for those crazy fuckers who jump out of a plane and into a raging forest fire and the hike into the flaming Forrest to cut lines. And the fact that within 24hours there were specialty fire fighting departments from all over the country here. Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Oregon. Firefighter tent city at the highschool. Pretty impressive.

I've got some pics, I'll try to post em. It was right out of the movies.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
There's some pretty good videos of it in the news feed. Scroll down.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/wildfires/wildfire-burning-in-summit-county-1/454375753
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have to say though, it was unbelievable watching perfectly orchestrated govt organizations do their job in an unbelievably efficient way.  And I have nothing but respect for those crazy fuckers who jump out of a plane and into a raging forest fire and the hike into the flaming Forrest to cut lines. And the fact that within 24hours there were specialty fire fighting departments from all over the country here. Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Oregon. Firefighter tent city at the highschool. Pretty impressive.
View Quote
I have been in the airborne firefighting biz for 25+ years.  On a big fire the whole scene is incredible.  Between Air Attack, Lead and the guys on the ground, there is a lot of coordination that has to be done in a very timely manner.  Our two goals are to put red goop exactly where the ground firefighters want it and not park the plane in the trees.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Without the air support this could easily have gone really bad.

Good on Hoser and guys like him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top