Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 5:51:33 PM EDT
Looking to take the family up next winter to see the state and feel the cold.  Looking for snow, trees and mountain views.  Can anyone recommend a town or area that is particularly nice.  Would prefer the southern half of the state as we will be driving up from Az.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Southern half of the state?  Ouray and the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Darrellbear nailed it. Crested Butte is also really nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Ouray labels itself as little Switzerland for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps the best view in the state: go about ten miles north of Ouray to Ridgway, then west toward the Dallas Divide.  The view of the Sneffels Range is just stunning.  If any view beats the Maroon Bells, this is it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perhaps the best view in the state: go about ten miles north of Ouray to Ridgway, then west toward the Dallas Divide.  The view of the Sneffels Range is just stunning.  If any view beats the Maroon Bells, this is it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]

I would offer Couty Road 5 leaving the south west corner of Ridgeway.  Follow it on out of town.  When you get to the top of the hill you'll be rewarded with an awe inspiring view.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow that's about perfect, just what we are looking for.

How are the amenities in ouray?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a small town that rolls up its sidewalks at night rather than a bustling resort town.  The main tourist season is summer vacation peaking over the Fourth of July.

But there will be a few motels or hotels to chose from and the Mexican restaurant stays open year round.  It won't be the only place to eat though.  One hotel has great pizza, a couple of bagel shops that are open for breakfast and another or two places.  

And the Hot springs pool.

http://www.ouraycolorado.com/

I might add there's a brew pub in town that serves food as well though I'm not real familiar with their menu.  Ouray Ale.  But I think they spell it more "uniquely."

And Montrose is around thirty minutes north (and down valley.)   They have everything one would expect in a town of 16,000 - 20,000.  Including my nephew's brewery.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Wolf Creek / Pagosa Springs is a solid choice.

Durango / Purgatory is another one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a small town that rolls up its sidewalks at night rather than a bustling resort town.  The main tourist season is summer vacation peaking over the Fourth of July.

But there will be a few motels or hotels to chose from and the Mexican restaurant stays open year round.  It won't be the only place to eat though.  One hotel has great pizza, a couple of bagel shops that are open for breakfast and another or two places.  

And the Hot springs pool.

http://www.ouraycolorado.com/

I might add there's a brew pub in town that serves food as well though I'm not real familiar with their menu.  Ouray Ale.  But I think they spell it more "uniquely."

And Montrose is around thirty minutes north (and down valley.)   They have everything one would expect in a town of 16,000 - 20,000.  Including my nephew's brewery.  
View Quote
Pretty much everything in town is open throughout the winter now that us ice climbers are spending more and more time there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top